Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Children's dentistry help please!
  • theotherjonv

I know there are a few on here (dentists I mean, although quite a few grown up kids too!)

My six year old had to have a filling around Xmas (for which i'm deeply ashamed although the dentist said she had malformed premolars, insufficient enamel or something so prone to this). All was going well until as he was cleaning the last of the decay off he nipped the nerve and she shot out of the chair and needed some coaxing back to finish the job. All was forgotten, and the lesson learnt by all about the importance of dental hygiene.

Until now. She has lost the filling at school a couple of days ago and we've made an appt to go back and have it replaced. But she's a nervous wreck now morning and night at tooth cleaning time reminding her that the appt looms, sleepless nights, etc. I know that he'll probably not need to excavate much if at all this time, and it will probably all go fine, but I don't want to promise her and let her down. It's got to be done but what are our options here. Is a local possible / going to be worse than the treatment. What age can you give a kid a sedative, etc. Would like to discuss with him tomorrow knowing a bit myself, as i wasn't *that* impressed last time with his bedside manner when it all went pear shaped, and don't want him to just force it through making us believe there are no options.

This is a rubicon moment. If it goes well she'll probably never fear the dentist, badly and she'll have a lifelong phobia. Help!!

theotherjonv

Oh come on, please!

You're not at work are you?

theotherjonv

on the day shift?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TPTcruiser

Some of us avoid dentists like others avoid baths.
    I would hope the same dentist will do the job and so will be familiar with the first mistake and be sensitive to making sure things run smoothly. Proving they are human and not some complacent tossers who sees their patients as money udders to be milked.

molgrips
    Free Member

Umm, well dentistry is never pleasant to be honest. She needs to KTFU I think. Having the needle in your gum is not nice, but the fact is our teeth are vulnerable and we need dentists.

wwaswas

medised used to be the thing when my kids were younger – just drug them up – don't know if you can still get it though.

theotherjonv

just bumping up in case of any dentists on here

fadda

Not a dentist at al;l, but you can certainly still get medised! You have to ask for it, but it's not a prescription job.

mrchrispy

bribe her with some sweats?

starseven
    Free Member

At six I imagine these are her milk teeth, they dont need filling. Find something else to worry about.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Medised = paracetamol + sedating antihystamine. Not sure if it can still be bought as was as from 2009 some of the antihystamine type preparations for kids were withdrawn as they were deemed to have no benefits for the child. I think the brand name Medised still exists but might just be a paracetamol preparation now.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100001597.html

Problem with sedating from such a young age is when & how would such sedation stop?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Children's dentistry help please!’ is closed to new replies.