Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Chick peas
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Followed the instructions – soaked for three hours, boiled for one – still tasted really uncooked.

Should I’ve done it for longer?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I normally drive them down to my local overheating nuclear reactor – chuck ’em in for a few days then come back – drive ’em home in a thermos flask – the last time I thought they were just maybe a day short of being properly cooked.

Junkyard
    Free Member

soak for longer – cut one before you cook it and it should be uniform colour throughout iirc. I always soak overnight FWIW
    Should boil furiosly for first 10 mins. I use a pressure cooker as well but this takes skill and practice to not turn them to mush

molgrips
    Free Member

We have a pressure cooker in this flat but I am scared to use it in case I get it wrong:

Junkyard
    Free Member

but you are happy to weld the suspension 😆

As long as the lid is secure and it has a weighted vent [once pressure reaches a certain point it vents in a non japanese reactor stylee] you will be fine.

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

buy them in cans – problem solved

spacemonkey

We always soak ours for something like 12 hours then boil for 15-30 mins. Job done.

BigJohn

My tip is:

Soak for 24 hrs
    Boil for 1 hour
    Drain, and set aside until the rest of the meal is ready
    Just before serving, tip into a handy bin.

hh45
    Free Member

One of the many joys of living in Turkish / Kurdish north London is the fantastic range of beans and pulses that are available dry in lots of local shops. Just bought a kilo of white beans (similiar in size and shape to baked beans) for £2.50 and when soaked overnight and then boiled for an hour or two they will feed the 5,000. Cheap, tasty and nutritious.

allthepies
    Free Member

lol @ BigJohn

loddrik
    Free Member

Humous, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, delicious!!!!

geoffj

BigJohn +1

molgrips
    Free Member

The chickpeas may well end up in the sewerage system. Feeling decidedly unwell now, it could be that I didn’t soak them long enough…
    😳

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Chick peas’ is closed to new replies.