Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Cheshire
  • gingerss
    Free Member

Is there any decent mountain biking to be had in south/mid Cheshire? Apart from it being flat, it seems almost completely devoid of bridleways.

Might check Delamere out again, but it’d be good to find some natural trails. Any experience of attitudes toward footpath use by bikes?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Erm, loads in Delamere, primrose woods too.

Can take in Frodsham, helsby & fox hill too, but I think they’re all footpaths – walkers are ok though, never had any issues

gonetothehills
    Free Member

You need to head East, my friend. The mecca of mountain biking (in these parts) is where the hills start… 🙂

gingerss
    Free Member

Thanks Steve.

Gtth, I figured that, and I do myself live on the east of them there hills. My curiosity stems from growing up on the aforementioned area but never doing any serious mountain biking. I also have family who I’d like to introduce to it, and pennine hills do not make for an easy introduction to the sport.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Delamere’s probably the best bet then – a nice choice of trails and good surfaces, as well as some more challenging stuff. The White Peak has variety too, but I appreciate it’s not immediately on your doorstep. I work over in Crewe and thought when my job moved there there might be some opportunity to ride out at lunchtime, but you’re right – there’s not much going on in the bridleway departement is there?

gingerss
    Free Member

Funny you should mention Crewe. One of the routes I wanted to sort was Crewe to Winsford.

There’s some stuff around Wistaston I think (need to explore), plus a project to link queens park to Nantwich that could open up some options…

Amway, thanks again, I shall have another look around Delamere and primrose wood, plus the other route Steve mentioned.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Just had another look on the OS map and you’re right – there’s a real lack of bridleways. We do have loads of fantastic signposted (road) cycle routes though – Sustrans and Cheshire East council have been busy in recent years. Lots of quiet lanes and Crewe isn’t bad for cycle paths. Not quite mountain biking though! 😉

jameso

There’s some good riding around Bickerton and Peckforton, about 12 miles from Crewe. Although I think much of what we used to ride many years ago is now classed as ‘cheeky’.

nickingsley
    Free Member

Delamere has loads of singletrack, the trick is finding it. Simply cycle along the fire roads and just head down one of the many little side trails that disappear off and …… 🙂
    Alternatively join one of the groups who ride on a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday night. All you need is decent lights and don’t mind a bit of mud, actually lots of mud.

The Delamere Monday Night Riders head out at 7:30pm and are a notoriously sociable group, with an exceptional insight to where the best trails are and finish every ride with some banter and an excellent selection of cakes.

steve_b77, davedodd, curlie467 and myself ride with them.

Send an e-mail to the address in our profiles and we will advise you of the meet point.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Just had a bit of a brain wave 😀

Once you get from Crewe to Winsford (could use some of the Trent & Mersey Canal), drop down to the river Weaver by the flashes, when you get to the bottom roundabout, take the road that is signposted towards Whitegate, after about 1/2mile get on the Whitegate way (wide surfaced former railway line) pedal like a mad man, take in some of the single track sections that run parallel, get to the end, turn into Delamere and Bob’s yer auntie you’re onto the trails 😀

I did a very similar thing in the summer from Northwich, through Dane Park, along the old river, onto the navigation to Winsford then carry on as per bottom roundabout

ThePinkster

If you want to venture slightly outside of Cheshire head south down the London Road (A51) to Hanchurch Woods. some great riding in a relatively small area.

IMHO I think it’s the best ‘local’ riding to Crewe/Nantwich, far better than Delamere with really quiet trails (compared with Delamere) and probably closer too.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Usually ride round bickerton ridge, never had a problem with walkers. You can ride from the ridge to The Phesant at Burwurdsly for some food and a drink. Its not that well served round here for bridleways as people have pointed out.

terrahawk
    Free Member

Macc Forest (although that might be Derbyshire)

nickingsley
    Free Member

Spoilt for choice

gingerss
    Free Member

Was that a ‘hang on a minute, do I want world + dog on my local route’ edit? 😉

Thanks people for your help. Next time I’m over this way I’ll bring the bike and explore some of these options. I’m thinking it’ll be good to maybe hook up and compare my old neighbourhood with my now familiar West Yorkshire trails.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Cheshire’ is closed to new replies.