Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Drowning doesnt look like drowning
  • allmountainventure
    Free Member

Drowning doesnt look like drowning

Just so you know

💡

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Sounds exactly like what happened to my younger brother when we were kids! He was rescued too thankfully.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Sounds like my normal swimming style.

leffeboy

Yep, recognise that. Had something like that happen to me when I fell out of a canoe this summer. Something happened to my breathing and I was too focused on getting it back under control and staying above water to be able to shout. It’s quite scary

SirJonLordofBike
    Free Member

good post -thanks

allmountainventure
    Free Member

You’re welcome

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Well highlighted.

All seems like common sense when you think about it but not what most people would expect.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Thanks +1.

highclimber
    Free Member

Interesting article.

HermanShake
    Free Member

💡

Great article.

clubber
    Free Member

Thanks for the link – as an ex-rower (and quite possibly future one at some point), that’s a very useful bit of knowledge to have. I’ve forwarded it on my my ex-rowing club too.

coffeeking
    Free Member

+1. Only been in that situation once, a few hundred yards offshore having lost my board in 15ft+ waves (top to bottom). All I could do was concentrate on not drowning and getting the hell back to shore against the 6 knot tide. Longest 5 minutes of my life. Didn’t care that I’d lost a £500 board, didn’t care that I was a dribbling mess, just collapsed on the shore.

I_did_dab
    Free Member

Great article. Back in the day I did all my lifesaving awards up to bronze medallion and I can’t remember once being taught how to spot someone drowning. A bit of an omission!

alexxx
    Free Member

I had a near death experience in summer, swam back along a lake for just under have a km and havent swam for ages (and this was after jumping in all day and sapping my energy).. ended up getting tangled in weeds that I had been managing to power past before hand… tried to lay on my back and do a snow angel type thing and JUST made myself save… I do remember the feeling of relief and the helpless feeling you have when you realise no one will be able to help. I’m sure it could have gone the other way that day – very thankful.

Markie
    Free Member

Thanks for this.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

It is the number two cause of accidental death in children, age 15 and under (just behind vehicle accidents) – of the approximately 750 children who will drown next year, about 375 of them will do so within 25 yards of a parent or other adult. In ten percent of those drownings, the adult will actually watch them do it, having no idea it is happening

baldSpot
    Free Member

great post

crankboy
    Free Member

That made my blood run cold when i was about 15 i watched a kid “messing about” in the pool for about three minutes i was the only person who saw him in that time then one of my mates looked over dived in and saved his life. I truly would have watched him drown and not realised.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Drowning doesnt look like drowning’ is closed to new replies.