Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Cheeky or Pikey?
  • myheadsashed

Just heard a commotion outside and the side gate of the house open.

It would appear a couple of young gentlemen in a ex BT transit had decided to remove my old turbo trainer left down my driveway. They pulled up the passenger jogged down the drive opened the shoot bolt and the catch on my side gate jogged to the back of the house picked it up and was then caught by the neighbour demanding to know what was happening. The guy said it's rubbish I'm taking it, an argument ensues and in the end the guy is made to knock on my door as the neighbour threatens then with the police, when I open the door the driver of said van is swearing and abusing my neighbour. In the end I let them take the turbo as I have been meaning to take it to the tip but is that the point?
    They just waltzed in without asking what if I had had the back door open as I sometimes do if it's hot?
    What would they have taken if they hadn't been spotted?
    They were getting nasty with the neighbour but looked quite sheepish I ain't 75 and about twice the size of the neighbour.
    Would you inform the police so they know this is happening or just let it pass?

I'll be locking the gate from now on.

scaredypants

let them take it, but taken a photo of them & their van just to make them nervous ?

DezB
    Free Member

Cheeky pikeys I'd say.

My dog seems to prevent this sort of thing happening. Not that she'd be any good if anyone tried it!

GrahamS

Personally I'd have called the police.

I don't mind folk taking and recycling my rubbish – but I'll be the one deciding what is rubbish in the first place! Just cos it happens to be in the garden doesn't mean it is free to take.

wombat

I'd tell them that is was for sale and that they could have it for £150 if they wanted it (which would be a bargain, naturally :wink:. )

If not they can cough or I'll get the rozzers

Junkyard
    Free Member

take picture and report clearly of you were small they would have intimidated you to get stuff. Trespass and theft without your consent Can we leave the Pikeys slurs aside for just ine thread please.

allthepies
    Free Member

If your bike (or other valuable possession) would have been there then that would have gone also. It's called theft I believe, unless they are telepathic and knew said turbo was due for the tip.

yossarian
    Free Member

I suppose I'm a bit of a pikey.

In the last couple of weeks I've taken a big metal patio heater that someone was chucking out (sold for £40) and three big wooden benches that were in a skip outside a school (sold for £95). Down here people usually put a note on stuff you can take. If there's no note and its on the street I ALWAYS knock on the door and ask.

myheadsashed

I agree, it's just the windows on the house were open and the car is on the drive and the radio's on everything is saying 'owner in' if you have no dodgy intent why not just knock on the door and ask?

Also most of my neighbours are very old and we've had trixters before/people trying to talk there way in to houses.

myheadsashed

yoss' from the road to the back of my house is about 70ft with a big metal gate halfway…….I'd say any stuff in a skip is fair game.

cyclistm
    Free Member

Good on your neighbour for confronting them, they could have been nicking anything.

TreeWhatTree….
    Free Member

Taking things from the front of the house that has been put on or clearly near the bin for collection – yes a bit pikey but acceptable.

Going through a closed gate to the back of your house and taking anything is surely theft as they had no real way of knowing what your intentions were.

Only my opinion and I’m sure you will have plenty of people disagreeing in a few moments 🙂

myheadsashed

Thankfully I have very good neighbour and not just the ones either side of the house everyone keeps an eye on each other here 🙂

meehaja
    Free Member

so far we have lost;

our BBQ,
    All our metal hanging baskets (spot welded from sheet aluminium)
    a mini greenhouse frame
    the hinges of our gate
    a filing cabinet drawer full of flowers (flowers tipped into drain, blocking that with soil)
    a metal bucket
    the taps off our old bath
    the sink from our old kitchen (ok those 2 I was less bothered aobout)

I daren't leave our wheel barrow out there! That said, the solid iron from from my old piano is in the alley and hasn't moved yet! Thieving scum the lot of them! Had some lads come round when I lived in Leeds, knock on the door and ask if they could take the old fridge and cooker from our yard, I then offered them the old tumble drier in hte bassment which they carried up the steps for me, fair game, they were honest and making a bit of cash, but I don't like them just coming in and taking stuff!

Pigface
    Free Member

Price of scrap is really high at the moment, one of the sites I regulate has the most amazing characters bringing all sorts in. Funnily they all scarper when we turn up.

uplink
    Free Member

In a corner of our yard at work – there's a massive pile of scrap aluminium parts waiting to be written off

A few weeks back a couple of those poor misunderstood fellas came wandering in & offered to clear the lot for us for £70 [we were to pay him] 🙂

Cougar

I'd have sent them on their way. Not because of the value of the gear, but because your neighbour stuck up for you and you undeminded him. Next week when someone's wheeling your bike down the path, your neighbour is going to think "sod him then."

mk1fan
    Free Member

Sounds like theives to me.

RepacK
    Free Member

Thats theft mate whichever way you look at it. They came onto your property without permission & took something which didnt belong to them. End of.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Unacceptable. Completely. And theft. I'd have reported it rather than giving it to them. Next time it could be a bike they thought was just left out for them, or a second hand washing machine someone has had dropped off down the drive. If it is on someones property you have absolutely zero right to go and take it. If it is in the skip you should ask first. Good on your neighbour for confronting them.

markgraylish
    Free Member

Unacceptable. Completely. And theft. I'd have reported it rather than giving it to them. Next time it could be a bike they thought was just left out for them, or a second hand washing machine someone has had dropped off down the drive. If it is on someones property you have absolutely zero right to go and take it. If it is in the skip you should ask first. Good on your neighbour for confronting them.

+1

I'd have sent them on their way. Not because of the value of the gear, but because your neighbour stuck up for you and you undeminded him. Next week when someone's wheeling your bike down the path, your neighbour is going to think "sod him then."

+1

ton

quick question…………..what made you think they were 'pikeys'

nbt

quick question…………..what made you think they were 'pikeys'

Personally, it was the fact that they were in his back yard trying to nick something. For me, pikeys are defined by their acts not their ethnicity or living preferences.

ton

which is incorrect then jules mate………… 😀

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pikey

mk1fan
    Free Member

Oh FFS. Who told the pikey about this thread????????

bassspine
    Free Member

which is incorrect then jules mate…………

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pikey

nine out of ten definitions in that are wrong anyway, it's as unreliable as any wiki.

Edric64
    Free Member

Its theft by scrotes in a transit +probably pikey we get loads round here in the summer and they are a pain in the ass

jon1973
    Free Member

This is really funny that this subject has come up today.

The bins get collected tomorrow, so I lend a couple of old 26" bike tyres up against the wheelie bin in the hope that the dusty would take them.

Within 10 minutes the one with a reasonable amount of tread left (but quite a long split in the wall, which probably wasn't that obvious) had gone. Don't care really, just made me chuckle after reading this thread during the day.

scraprider
    Free Member

fu**ing pikeys 😐

ex-pat
    Free Member

+1 Cougar

You've just set a precedent.
    What's more, typical action is to go mooching around a property and when caught say you're picking some rubbish up, or looking for a dog, or wrong house etc. They were casing your joint and now they know you've got a bike and an indifferent neighbour.
    At the least I'd be popping round with some cheap offering and saying thank you and please keep an eye out.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Cheeky or Pikey?’ is closed to new replies.