• This topic has 13 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by ton.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • cheapest and best fit and forget hydro's for my tourer are?
  • ton

looking for some cheap fit and forget hydro brakes for my tourer.
    always used bb7, which seem to take a bit of looking after, moreso in bad weather.

any idea’s greatly welcomed

tootallpaul

Shimano Deore.

Cheap and cheerful, and in my experience, they just work.

oliverracing

deore!

nedrapier

For drops or flats?

Seen a couple of threads about bike options – what’s the latest thinking?

Might be because I’m riding in The Practically Mediterranean South of England, but 10,000+ miles on BB7s haven’t needed anything more than 2 or 3 pad changes, one cable and outer swap and a few adjuster twiddles.

drovercycles
    Free Member

In which case Deore calipers might work but levers obviously won’t. If it’s a flat bar tourer then yes, Deore would be the way to go.

Depending on where you’re touring, a ruptured hydraulic hose in the middle of nowhere is much more difficult to deal with than a snapped or frayed cable.

ton

For drops or flats?

that is the point I am stuck on.
    cant find a wide enough drop bar. even 48cm feel cramped when you have been riding a 710 jones loop.
    would it be rash to sell the jones bars. the deores would fit ideal on those.

Bruce

I would vote for Deores they are on my commuter bike which gets neglected but normally work fine. When they fail just change the caliper and they are as good as new.

At the risk of being accused of blasphemy they are a lot less faff than some of the hope brakes on other bikes and they fit Jones loop bars

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Have 2 sets of Deores and both been brill 🙂
    Drops are a different story !

soma_rich
    Free Member
    Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve just fitted Shimano RS685’s to my CX bike, it wasn’t cheap because I had to change from Sram to Shimano and 10 spd to 11 spd, so it meant new chain, front and rear mech’s and cassette.
    They’ve done getting on for a thousand miles now and they really have been fit and forget when compared to the previous TRP HyRd’s and the BB7’s I had prior to that.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Dibbs, getting any squealing with the RS685s? Its the next ‘upgrade for my cross/road/commute bike hopefully

joshvegas
    Free Member

ton, what about some off road drops?

mlke
    Free Member

I’m v happy with TRP Hylex brakes on my tourer. They’re under 200 quid for the pair. They’re not integral shifters/brakes but I had a spare set of bar end shifters and most of a MTB group set to fit so it was a cheap upgrade.

ton

ton, what about some off road drops?

non seem wide enough on the tops or where the hoods sit. some of the flared ones are wide on the flare, but that is now where you ride all the time.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘cheapest and best fit and forget hydro's for my tourer are?’ is closed to new replies.