• This topic has 9 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Bez.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Cheap way into the Darkside?
  • mlke
    Free Member

I’ve budget of around £500 and am interested in having a go at this road biking lark. Ideal machine would be something comfortable and fast enough so I can sit on the wheels of fitter better biked buddies

I’m ok with building from ebay bits or second hand complete bikes or maybe unfashionable old stock bikes.

If I build up a bike. Which bits to splash the cash on. (wheels?)

damo2576
    Free Member

Just buy a second hand bike for £500 no? For £500 you don’t have cash to splash.

RobHilton
    Free Member

2nd hand or discounted. This one’s pretty nice: http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m7b65s6p3114

trailmonkey

I bought a brand new Giant Defy for £475 with crud race guards and bottle and cage. I needed the guards cos it was for commuting. It has a triple which most roadies will tell you is a no no but if you’re trying to keep up with experienced roadies or you live somewhere steep then its not a bad idea. I planned to change for a double when my drivetrain neede replacing but 9 months on its still going strong.
    All the big names should do something more than good enough to get you started for £500.

stevede
    Free Member

I recently bought a Giant Defy, i’m riding 150+miles a week on mine and i’m doing JOGLE on it in August. Up until last month i hadn’t ridden a road bike in 20 years so don’t have anything to compare it too but i’m happy with it. Weight wise it seems heavy compared to my mates carbon bikes (surprise surprise) but it does the job for me.

mlke
    Free Member

that ‘dale seems very nice for the cash.
    Just looking at the last part of the post, if I go with the build up option. What’s worth spending extra cash on?

trailmonkey

oh, there is something else. buying from the lbs will give you a chance to get sized up properly.

carbon337
    Free Member

Carrera vanquish, carbon fork, tiagra shifters. £399 at the moment.

Think fit is the most important but then your limited to paying a bit more for less from LBS ala giant defy 4 or 500 on a specialized allez. One no carbon fork and both running 2300.

So I found anyway. Unless you get a great deal at a LBS.

RobHilton
    Free Member

that ‘dale seems very nice for the cash.

Their CAAD frames are rated as being some of the best alloy frames going & claimed to be better than some carbon ones.

Just looking at the last part of the post, if I go with the build up option. What’s worth spending extra cash on?

Frame is most important thing (of the bike itself) & worth spending money on – anything else can be upgraded over time if you feel the need. No point having nice components hanging off a frame made out of marzipan 🙂

Good wheels make a difference to ride quality, but for any really noticable difference you’d have to start parting with $$

As mentioned, fit is important; moreso than on an MTB as you tend to be in the same position for extended amounts of time. Shops can help a lot here.

Bez

That Cannondale is a steal.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Cheap way into the Darkside?’ is closed to new replies.