Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Cheap, drop barred, Alfine/Nexus-ed commuter?
  • Tracker1972
    Free Member

Any ideas for the above? Really like the Genesis Day one Cross but my legs and local geography really make that unlikely in single speed guise and adding a hub gear afterwards would make it a bit expensive.

So, anyone know of any reasonably priced complete bikes that have drops and a hub gear? Disk brakes would be a bonus. Complete would also be an advantage as it will only arrive as and when DCC sort out their C2W scheme.

Oh, and why drops? I had a "racer" when I was about 10 and want another 🙂

tthew

So a hub gear bike, with disks for roughly the price of a Day One? Would sir like chocolate sauce with his Moon on a Stick? 😆

More seriously, I think you'll be looking at somthing second hand. There's that KHS solo thingy that was reviewed on here recently and the Mongoose single speeder (name escapes me) that are similar to the Day One flat bar but less expensive so would be cheaper upgraded to hub gears, but then factor in the price of a pair of drop bars, brake levers and handlebar tape it'd probably work out similar.

epicyclo

You could stick a Sturmey-Archer hub on the Day One.

The 3 speed or 5 speed would fit the dropout spacing and they are not expensive.

All you really need is the 3 speed – it's light and efficient as SS in direct drive.

Mister-P
    Free Member

The real cost is in the levers. The JTek bar end is about 80 dollars from the US and the Virsa STI levers are well into 3 figures.

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

I think you won't find one off the shelf, mostly because Shimano don't currently make a drop bar shifter for the alfine, afaik only J-Tek in the US do

what does a day one cost? alfine Shimano factory wheel is about 200 quid (ish) and includes a twist shifter (that you can bodge onto a drop bar with an adapter / your own imagination)

I had similar requirements and ended up buying a cotic road rat and building frpm scratch. Cost about a grand all in

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Have a look at Sideways:
    http://blog.sidewayscycles.co.uk/2009/11/25/cotic-road-rat-super-commuter/
    It got me thinking along these lines, but I'm paying a bit more and getting a Singular Peregrine.

And there's those new Sarecen urban bikes, although they're not drop-bar'd

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Is it that chocolate sauce that goes hard after pouring? Then yes!

As for the cost, been looking at second hand things and putting stuff together (like an Alfine onto a Day One Cross) but it seems like £250 for a wheel with a hub gear in it, then add shifters etc. Can only afford/justify it on C2W so £750 would be OK for what and how I would actually pay for it.

Just want it as a complete bike to take advantage of the scheme (council operated so I am assuming that, once it arrives, there will be zero flexibility).

Oh, and now I want ice cream and whatever that topping was called…

Mister-P
    Free Member

Not cheap but I want it.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Oh, and now I want ice cream and whatever that topping was called…

Ice magic…

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

that has an STI shifter fitted, I was not aware they (shim) were making them for alfine hubs. new for 2010 or a prototype?

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Epicyclo- considered it but they are big hills and I have small legs, still considering it though…

freegan bikefascist- seems to be the problem, I wonder if it is the same for a Nexus hub, guess so, only difference is the disk mounting right?

ir_bandito- oh, now that is interesting, lots and lots of pennies but still, very tempting, almost distracted me from chocolate topping!

Mister-P
    Free Member
    epicyclo

Hate to keep beating the drum for S-A but you can get these for the 3 or 5 speed

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I'm getting the Versa levers on my Peregrine, so I'll post up here what they're like when I get them.

Tracker, does your council use Cyclescheme, cos Sideways are with them? Get it for £50/month or thereabouts…

mmm, icemagic….

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Beautifully made and a joy to use I am sure but wow, £180 just for levers, Throw in £200 ish and that is why I would like something like that Road Rat where the profit is spread over a whole bike, not every component!

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Thats the boy Teeto! With a lid that looked like the (green) snowy top of a mountain? 🙂

DCC is on the verge of launching their scheme (well in a council way, last contact said "it is coming, not sure when, definitely not next week though" and not heard anything since) so don't know who it is with. Think the choice of "supplier" was the stage they were at so potentially. Who knows 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I was looking into it this morning, alfine shifting is apprently twice as much cable pull as normal shimano 8 speed shifting, one guy was using a 2:1 travel agent with ultegra (not dura ace which was different) STI's.

Shame SRAM never made anything for drop bars while 8speed was common. Were there any manufacturers making 8speed drop bar shifters with a 1:1 ratio?

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

Tracker1972

freegan bikefascist- seems to be the problem, I wonder if it is the same for a Nexus hub, guess so, only difference is the disk mounting right?

there are internal differences between nexus and Alfine (clutches etc) but the shifters are cross compatible and the Alfine has a disc mount where the Nexus does not that's right

Mister P

Versa from Tim @ Sideways Cycles

Ta for that link, I didn't know they were available

nice to know the option is there but …. 175 QUID for a pair of 8sp brake levers / shifters! 😯

not likely, son!

thisisnotaspoon

alfine shifting is apprently twice as much cable pull as normal shimano 8 speed shifting, one guy was using a 2:1 travel agent with ultegra (not dura ace which was different) STI's.

correct, I used to shift mine with a travel agent and 8sp bar end shifter. it's a fudge though, the J-Tek works more reliably IME, the only problem is the large barrel means that if cable friction is high, the thing can kink up.

RichPenny
    Free Member

What is that MrP, Croix de Fer with Alfine? Was told this might happen, and it might make me get another C2W bike 🙂

epicyclo

Tracker1972 – Member
    Epicyclo- considered it but they are big hills and I have small legs, still considering it though…

I get around the Highlands with a 3 speed on my Pompino and I'm not superman 🙂 Legs adapt quickly if you ride enough.

The 5 speed would cover a wider range, and it's still much lighter than the Shimano. For the price of a Shimano lever you could have enough gears and less weight.

(Not knocking the Shimano hub, it's a nice piece of work)

ir_bandito
    Free Member

freegan

175 QUID for a pair of 8sp brake levers / shifters!

Have you seen how much "conventional" drop bar shifters are? A pair of 105s is £150 at CRC. Baring in mind the Versa only have the shifter on one lever, but they're not being made in as big a batches as the Shimano ones will be, it seems like a reasonable price.
    Wonder if they'll do an 11-spd version when the new Alfine comes out.
    Just need someone to develop one for a Rohloff too now…

ourmaninthenorth

My friend has an old Cinelli (it's actually a Garlatti), built with a S-A hub and used for commuting duties at the moment. He says it isn't perfect – it's knocked together with spare parts and it has toe overlap issues – but is really into the principle as a low maintenance bike for riding.

I think it's a great idea and, though I like my fixed for riding to work at the moment, I can see how moving towards some gearing would be really useful (not least because I#m due to have a new commute to work).

bristolbiker
    Free Member

If Versa ever make an 11-speed version….. <rubs hand, world-domination-megalomaniac-style>

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/road-sti-levers-for-alfine-11-speed

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Hmmmmm, Sturmey Archer 5 speed with a thumb shifter… on a Day One Cross… wonder if I could get bolt on axle ends for my little trailer…
    That road rat super commuter does look good though…
    Thank god I don't have to pick one today 🙂

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Are the axles on hub gears standard sizes? Wondering if these would fit so I could use my trailer with a hub gear (currently uses a quick release with shaped ends).

damitamit
    Free Member

I had to build my own…

epicyclo

Tracker1972 – Member
    Are the axles on hub gears standard sizes?

They are bolt on hubs, so I don't think you'd have any trouble fitting a trailer unless it relied on a QR fitting.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

It does currently rely on a QR fitting but has an option to use shaped nuts instead, like these

paul4stones

I've got a 5-speed SA hub, very little used if you want it. Nothing wrong with it although it does click like my dad's old 3spd did. Nostalgic.

epicyclo

What thread are those? The S-A hub uses a 13/32" axle.

It wouldn't work with the 3 speed because the gear changer comes out the end of the axle.

I'm not sure if the 5 speed uses a rotary changer or comes out the end these days.

Although there probably is a bolt on option.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

paul4stones- I want it! Question is what do you want for it and can I afford it 🙂 I could lace my own wheel I guess… always wondered what that would be like… I guess it would sound like my Grifter, very nostalgic! Email addy in my profile if you want to get in touch about it.

epicyclo- very good point… Never have much to carry though and can fir to another bike.

cynic-al
    Free Member

picture of a touring bike on a ferry = coolness squared (pun not intended)

(please tell me teh pic was on a ferry)

Tracker1972
    Free Member

…and I just though it was an odd shed, think you could be onto something there cynic-al.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Oh well, wishful thinking.

I'll get my Casserol on to a Ferry before you do!

damitamit
    Free Member

Yep a ferry, on the overnight Hollandica to the Hook of Holland (on my way to amsterdam) a few weeks ago 🙂

paul4stones

That's definitely a ferry.

I'll email you tracker when I can find your address. Give me a sec.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Ferry on the way to Amsterdam? Now that does sound good, some sort of tour I assume. (drifts off into a dreamlike state thinking of holidays.
    Thanks Paul!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Pedalling off a ferry is one of the best feelings.

damitamit
    Free Member

non-biking mates were going for the long weekend, so I said "i'll see you there!"

It was friggin freezing! (end of feb) but worth it. Pics here: http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/damitamit/LondonToAmsterdam#

The north sea cycle route from hook of holland up the coast is pretty cool!

rob
    Free Member

Another vote for the sturmey archer 5 speed hub fantastic bit of kit
    got mine off ebay nos £28

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Cheap, drop barred, Alfine/Nexus-ed commuter?’ is closed to new replies.