Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Changing loose change machines
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

I've got loads of loose change – heard that at supermarkets you have machines where you chuck it in and get it out as something easier to spend but have to pay a fee.

Anyone used them – are there better ones out there I should keep any eye out for?

(Sorry wrong forum)

allthepies
    Free Member

A bank will change, errrr change for you free. (you may have to bag it up though)

TooTall
    Free Member

A bank will probably have a max value. The machines charge something like 5p in the pound – worth it not to have to count it yourself.

Stoner
    Free Member

let a charity count it for you? 😉

PePPeR

The machines do take a percentage, but banks and building societies make it difficult by only allowing you take in a few pounds worth of change each day, Normally around £5 maximum.

bruneep

Take it to a Bank and take a small child with you and tell the bank its from the small childs piggy bank, no charge. 😉

Teetosugars
    Free Member

7p in every £1 hardly a major drama..

And a lot less hassle than bagging it all up IMHO.

uplink
    Free Member

No problem at some banks if you have an account & no limit – you do need to bag it up though

Coop is OK
    Nat West is OK

not tried any others but I recently took £2k of change into the Coop & they were fine
    I would however avoid busy times

rob1984p
    Free Member

uplink, your sofa must be an amazing place…£2k of change, yikes!!

uplink
    Free Member

uplink, your sofa must be an amazing place

I have a 6 litre beer keg [empty of course] with a slot cut into it that I empty my pockets into every day – so there's usually at least £3 often up to 10 going in most days
    When I fancy something new – I cut it open

slartybartfast
    Free Member

Supermarket machines usualy charge 10 percent (robbin bastids), I recently changed 850 quid in loose change at barclays for free. I do not have an account with them, I had it all bagged up ready and just took 250 quid a day in they changed it no problem.

Flaperon

I use those machines too, don't mind sacrificing 7p/£ to avoid having to bag it all up myself. Empty in tub of change, collect receipt and all the various foreign currencies and car park tokens from the reject tray. Besides, I like the clattery noise it makes.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Jesus!!! I've only got about £5 but need a brake outer for my daughters bike so am going to use one of those machines this time – once I've saved up more I might try the bank route.

uplink
    Free Member

If it's only a fiver just pay for the outer with it

dobby156
    Free Member

I just feed them into those self service tills in ASDA, then pay what ever is left with card

aracer
    Free Member

Why don't you use your loose change for something more unconventional – like spending it in shops to buy things with? If you do that regularly enough you never build up vast quantities of the stuff.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Some banks now have loose change machines. The HSBC in Northallerton being the one I used – same as supermarket machines but no charge

duntmatter
    Free Member

If I break a note, I never put 1, 2, 5, or 10p coins back in my pockets when I'm next going out. I may not manage to spend them, and they just weigh my trousers down. I now have a heap of change, so I think I'll try the machine in Sainsbury's. 7p/£ sounds like a good rate of loss compared to the other arcade machines 😛

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Changing loose change machines’ is closed to new replies.