Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Changing from a Heckler
  • gnusmas

Has anyone gone from a heckler to a shorter travel XC type bike? Just wandered if you found it better? I am only asking as i think my heckler is more than i need and am contemplating a shorter travel frame.

My heckler is a 19″ large which i needed for the longer top tube but i could really do with a medium.

My HT is an 18″ and is spot on size wise but want to be able to ride better on a FS too.

Any comments much appreciated

Thanks

cynic-al
    Free Member

I tried a Superlight (older version) and while the travel itself wasn’t an issue, the frame was quite a lot flexier which I didn’t like.

Depends on your riding I guess. I’m no freeride god.

gnusmas

i am no freeride god either, i ride mainly brechfa/nant yr arian and i thnik that a shorter travel frame may be better than what i have now. i thought about the superlight at the time but liked the burlier heckler frame

just thought i would throw the question out there to see if anyone else has any experience that could aid me in my decision

jambalaya
    Free Member

My mate went from a SuperLight to a Heckler then back to the Superlight. He never really got on with the Heckler and as it was an early one he had problems with the linkages which coloured his view. He’s also much more of an XC rider so the Superlight suits him better, he’s been riding it many years now (6 or 7?).

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Gnusmas – have you got forks that wind down? I run mine with an adjustable 150 fork and it feels great even at the lower ends of the travel. I’ve had my moments of change and looked to go for something around the 120 mark. Then I get on mine, set the travel to suit where im riding, and (most of the time) put the bike away feeling happy after the ride. Seems like a lot of time and expense for essentially a cracking bike that handles most riding situations pretty damn well. If it were me, i’d save the money, or spend elsewhere, but I guess the itch has got to be scratched! Best of luck with your search.

Mine is a medium and i’m about 5’10” so on the limit. It feels great!

gnusmas

i have uturn pikes on it now, haven’t been out with these yet but will be this coming weekend.

i am 5′ 9″ so ideally need a medium but the top tube was a bit short so got a large to make up for this. Maybe that is where the problem lies and a medium heckler would be better as an all rounder. i might have to see about getting a medium instead and seeing how that goes.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sorry I should have said-I’ve owned a Heckler for 6 years, and don’t ride much differently to you, bar the odd Alps week.

I too thought shorter travel would be better for me, but I preferred the stiffer frame.

gnusmas

i am slowly coming to the conclusion that maybe a medium would be better for my size and try to get the cockpit comfortable, will have to see if any of my mates know of someone who has a medium i can have a go on.

thanks for all the input so far guys – much appreciated

_tom_
    Free Member

I don’t mean to come across as arsey but have you considered a hardtail for those trails? I’ve not ridden brechfa but i did nanty on my fs and felt like it would’ve been loads better on my hardtail as there’s loads of opportunities for pumping through all the singletrack bits like down zorro etc.

dadandlad
    Free Member

AS said yourself the frame is too big im 5’10 and ride a medium,got rid of my other bikes and use the Heckler for everything,currently have 140mm revelations fitted.
    Tried my sons Carbon Blur but to be honest prefer the Heckler

cynic-al
    Free Member

Should say I’m 6′ 0.5″ riding a L older model.

dantsw13

I’ve just done the complete opposite, and changed a 120mm FS for a Heckler (now fully built) and an on one carbon 456 ( awaiting frame delivery!!). I reckon that spread covers all from local trails/south downs to Alps trips.

I am 5 11″ and 95 kg and have a med 2007 (old style) Heckler.

superfli
    Free Member

dantsw13, I’ve just done the same as you – was 120 FSR, now 1 HT (RockLobster) + medium Heckler 2009. Riding Southdowns area as well (usually QECP, but also trips to Wales+Alps).

gnusmas, I know what you mean about the short top tube on the Heckler. I thoght I’d possibly bought the wrong frame for me, but after a few rides I’m now loving it! Pretty steep headangle too, which you would think doesnt help, but it really works for me (150mm revs).
    Try your best to get hold of a medium and give it a go.

gnusmas

_tom_ i already have a HT as mentioned in original post, excellent on the trails but want to be able to ride a FS comfortably too

looks like from the other responses i may need to go with a medium heckler and see how it goes from there

Thanks for the input, hopefully get it sorted soon

gnusmas

is there a geometry/sizing chart available for the hecklers? have found a link to the 2006 models but it doesn’t work. just trying to find out differences in frame sizes between the large and medium

nixie

I have a copy of the 04 chart, any good?

purser_mark
    Free Member

This should get you to Santa Cruz’s archive

http://www.santacruzbikes.co.uk/site2009/bicycles_archive/geom/heckler.html

😀

gnusmas

thanks nixie would have said yes please but the link purser_mark has posted allows you to view the geometries. looks like a medium is definitely the way to go!!!!

looks like i will be keeping a heckler in one form or another, lets hope i get on better with a medium and it then is as good as everyone says it is 🙂

STATO
    Free Member

What is it that you dont like about the large? at 23.5 TT then its the same length as many Mediums, your 18″ HT is probably longer! Its not like they are really high either (standover is almost the same as the Large has a very dipped top tube). Unless your specifically looking for a FS bike that is shorted and more ‘flickable’ i think you call it, than your HT then id just look at trying a shorter stem for your large (cant believe im the one in a STW post to suggest a shorter stem, are the short stem fanatics on holiday or something?)

STATO
    Free Member

nixie, can i get a copy of that Geo chart please, SC archive only goes back to 09, hardly an archive!

gnusmas

Stato here is a link to pre 2007 hecklers from the weblink posted by purser mark
    http://www.santacruzbikes.co.uk/site2009/bicycles_archive/heckler4.html

LOL at short stem comment 🙂
    I have already dropped to a 50mm stem but reach is good on the large. I can’t quite put my finger on the problem as such but it just seems like it could be better. The bike itself is very good but i feel it could be great if that makes sense??

The reason i opted for the large is because it is pretty much the same size as my HT and lots of people saying about the short top tube on the medium. In hindsight i should have tested both first but as i didn’t purchase it new i went with my instinct. Have not regretted it one bit but know it can do more.

STATO
    Free Member

Cheers, but still no Geo chart for the 04.

What length are your forks try knocking them down to 120mm. Im 6ft4 and wish my Large Heckler was the same lenght as my XC bike, it kills my back riding it any more than 2hrs.

nixie

Bit of a crappy photo but gets the job done.

It is on the SC archive site too at http://www.santacruzbikes.co.uk/site2009/bicycles_archive/geom/heckler4.html the link was at the top of the page.

STATO
    Free Member

Ah cheers, i tried clicking the link but it didnt work at work, can see it fine now im on my home laptop.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Similar here as Superfli. Was not enjoying mine at first. Ran a Pike Air and it felt awful (probably needed a long overdue service on the fork). Now running a Fox 150 TALAS 32mm (2010 FIT) and its brilliant. Spends most of its days at 110 or 130 though tbh, but its totally changed the bike. Having been a die hard Cove Hustler fan its absolutely brilliant to ride.

dickie
    Free Member

5’11” here on a new shape 2007 Large Heckler – I find it a little short & ride with a 100mm stem & layback post.
    I also have a Turner DW Flux in large with a 100mm stem & in line post & find the bike better handling & a comfier ride, this bike is also a bit lighter.

I feel with Turner I’m between the wheels where as on the Heckler I’m positioned further towards the back wheel & have a little lower back pain after a while.

So yes I find the shorter travel better but thats probably more to do with frame size differences between manufacturers rather than travel differences, although I think shorter travel means more XC style & thus a more stretched riding position.

For me I think something like Trek Fuel EX sizing would be a good fit & fall nicely between the 100mm Turner & 140mm SC should one bike replace both.

Try get a test ride on a bike you think suits your requirements, its personal preference at the end of the day.

beicmynydd
    Free Member

Went from a heckler to a Lapierre spicy, found the longer top tube a great help also the longer wheelbase.
    I Agree with dickie above as I also have an EX8 and it’s faster uphill.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

I have a 2007 heckler and it’s a pig on the climbs, looking to get rid and get something more XC / Less Travel which will suit my riding.

dantsw13

Interesting, isn’t it!! Took my 2007 old style heckler out for its first big ride last night. According to the boys I was grinning all night!! The TT is noticeably shorter than my previous bikes – Ive gone up to an 80mm stem on it. A few guys had a go, and the general consensus was surprise how well it climbed!! It is built up pretty light with carbon bars/X0 cranks and 2012 revs – at 28.7 lbs.

I found I was deliberately riding at stuff to test it, and it gobbled it all up!!

Jeffus
    Free Member

I’m 5’9″ had a large Heckler for two years didn’t get on too well with it changed to a medium Nomad perfect , now have a medium Butcher again perfect , I also had a large Superlight for 6 months its like a wet noodle compared to the heckler, but a quick ride, if it was stiffer I would have another.90Kg+ rider 😀

gnusmas

The more i read the more i think that it is definitely a medium heckler i need not a shorter travel XC type frame.

Think i will put my frame up for sale and look out for a medium frame (heckler or otherwise but preferably a heckler).

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Changing from a Heckler’ is closed to new replies.