Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Changing from 9 speed to 11 speed?
  • cinnamon_girl

Would appreciate sensible comments re the above as to whether there really is any gain. Run XT but am struggling to ride due to a health condition so wondered if this would offer any benefit?

Thanks. 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

2x or 3x on the 9sp?

Going 2×10 from 2×9 gets you a lower gear if you get the bigger cassette. 1×11 will be a reduced range over 2×9 regardless, you can go lower and get the low gears if you want but not the full range.
    It will save some grams but not many.
    Sram gives you the big range, shimano no so ( big difference between 11t and 10t)

I’m running 1×10 with a 42t rear and 11t max, it’s a tougher range than 2×10.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks Mike for replying. Running triple 😳 and just want to keep riding.

Edit: am clearly confused by all this!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

This helps for some comparison

If you want the low gears then double/triple is the answer. 2×10 is not that expensive and if you want range then it’s better over 1x.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks very much Mike, will study that. 8)

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Praxis Works now manufacture a 10 speed cassette with evenly spaced ratios and 40T largest cog. It’s £100 mind but that’s less than you’ll get an 11 spd for.
    If you’re regularly finding 22:34 (lowest 9spd ratio) hard to turn then it may be that the small fortune you could spend on new gearing won’t make a lot of difference and electric assist might be more helpful.
    Is the ‘health condition’ likely to be resolved in the foreseeable future?

nickc

CG, the larger spread of sprockets at the back will give you access to much easier gears, bit slower uphill in the larger gears, but you’ll still be pedalling. There’s no difference in terms of cable, chain or cassette life either, so no real change in your maintenance routines should be needed. You won’t need a new wheel either as Shimano will fit OK.

I’d say it would make a measurable difference.

teef
    Free Member

[/quote]electric assist might be more helpful.

We met a retired guy last week on the North Downs Way riding a HaiBike – he raved about it. Said it had a 40 mile range, handled like normal bike and he left us for dead on the hills. Not cheap but it meant he could ride every day now he was retired:

https://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/Electric-Bikes-UK-Dealer

cinnamon_girl

Mostly_Balanced – thanks, haven’t investigated cost yet but realise it won’t be cheap. Not ready to consider an e-bike just yet. 🙂

nick – thanks. Yes, keeping pedalling is very important to me and your comments are definitely reassuring. Will have a chat with my lbs.

teef – no, not yet ready for an e-bike!

irc

There is an old thread where someone says they run a 9 speed 12-36. If a slightly lower gear would help. Possibly cheaper than going 10 or 11 speed.

Chainreaction have an Alivio 12-36 for £10.99 if you want to try it cheaply.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-alivio-hg400-9-speed-mtb-cassette/rp-prod119945?gs=1&gclid=CKm3s7axtcUCFYkBwwod4RAAPQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/largest-9-speed-cassette-12-36

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

If you’re currently running 32 largest a 36 will make roughly the same difference as changing down one gear anywhere else on the cassette whilst you’re riding. 40T will be about the same again. Do you think being able to shift down two more gears would make enough of a difference?

scotroutes

I mentioned the 36T Deore cassette on a mcmoonter thread yesterday. It’s certainly worth a try.

My other suggestion would be for you to look at crank arm length. I’ve just fitted a set of 65mm XT cranks to my 29er and I’m finding it much easier uphill – so much so that I’m rarely in the granny ring (just don’t ask me to explain the maths). That’s obviously a bit more of an outlay than a cassette but you could by a set of 10-speed cranks and run them with everything else 9-speed without any problems and if you find you still need 10 speed all round then it’s not a waste of money.

timbur
    Free Member

165mm cranks maybe???
    65mm would be a bit diddy.

scotroutes

😆

scaredypants

CG, do you ever use the top end of the gearing ? If not, I wonder if you could find smaller chanrings (as well or instead) – I think a 20t granny would be possible

UnderTheWood
    Free Member

CG – I’m sure I’ve got an unused Deore 9speed 12-36 cassette somewhere you can have for free.
    Drop me a line.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks all, will spend some time considering options. 8)

Esme
    Free Member

Cinnamon Girl, you might be interested in trying my bike next month 🙂

Chain rings: 20 and 32 and Bash ring
    Standard Deore LX cassette, with 11t removed, replaced with 39t
    Cranks 155cm (for my little legs)

. . . but I still can’t ride up hills 😳

cinnamon_girl

Esme – thank you for your kind offer but can guarantee that you’ll be better at hills than me!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Changing from 9 speed to 11 speed?’ is closed to new replies.