Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Chamonix in the summer?
  • chamberlain30
    Free Member

We are going to Chamonix this summer and I was wondering if it would be worth taking ours bikes? It sounds like there are some BIG trails out there and don’t want to take them all that way and not be able to ride much. We rip round places like Cannock, Llandegla etc on the red and some black trails but wondered how the riding in France is?

nealglover
    Free Member

Chamonix is great. We loved it last year.

Also worth doing while you are there, is a trip up the Aguille du Midi. Awesome up there, love it.

We are going back as part of our Euro road trip this summer and I can’t wait. Certainly will be getting the bikes off the back of the van while we are there.

flap_jack
    Free Member

Not much uplift, and most of the best stuff is banned July / August. If you’re going June or September, though, take the bikes for some of the best natural riding around, assuming you don’t mind climbing.

twohats
    Free Member

Not much uplift

Are you serious???

geetee1972
    Free Member

LOL no uplift.

La Flegere has a DH track that drops 2000m vertical over about 10km. It takes about 15 minutes non stop but you have to rest at least half way down its so tiring. Finding it is easy. The riding elsewhere isn’t so easy but is all very good..

johnhe

The trails at La Flegere are the best “man-made” trails I’ve ever ridden. I still prefer the walking trails, out only just. I haven’t ridden the bike trails at Les Houches, but I rode the single track trails there several years ago and they were fantastic too.

I’d personally rate Chamonix as much more enjoyable for biking than Morzine, Les Gets or Chatel. But that’s because it has less of those groomed, bike-park trails.

Especially for a family holiday, where you’re not Riding 10 hours a day, I think Chamonix is a great bike destination.

professor_fate
    Free Member

Even if you go in the peak (bike-restricted) season the area up at Le Tour / Grand Balcon Nord (from Lognan down to Les Bois), and Les Houches (get into the trees around the main track halfway down… oh Matron) is all lift-accessed and should get your heartrate up. Awesome place!

chamberlain30
    Free Member

Thanks guys might give it a go!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Chamonix in the summer?’ is closed to new replies.