Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Chainsuck…is there a link between 456 and a Hustler…?
  • PolisherMan

cos I’ve got both and they both suck.

Frames don’t cause suck (apparently) so why is it with brand new drive chains and correctly spaced BB’s neither bike can be ridden in filthy Pennine grit? Argh!

billyboy
    Free Member

I’ve had first hand experience of a brand new, correctly aligned 456 frame kitted out with brand new XT etc transmission components, immediately and persistantly suffering from chainsuck. I posted on here and Brant said my girlfriend who was the recipient of the build for her birthday was not shifting properly/correctly. For the twenty odd years before that where she had been riding bicycles she’d never had this affliction!!!!

Judging by other posts mine was not a unique experience and it was challenged with the retort that frames don’t/can’t cause chainsuck.

Sometime later I saw an advert pointing to a design feature on a Brant designed frame that was promoted as being there to eliminate chainsuck.

Verily, I said to myself, for it is now written thus, that The Lord do not giveth chainsuck, but The Lord most certainly doth taketh chainsuck away.

Amen

emanuel
    Free Member

expensivethingy
    got one of thse from wiggle.sorted out my hustler.
    a jumpstop wouldn’t fit,due to the pivot mount.but it’ll work on you 456,it did on the summer season I had.
    or a stinger,not tried it but most people seem happy with it.

Physiosteve
    Free Member

I had worst chain suck ever during 1st lap of mayhem this year with brand new chain and cassette and no excessive wear on middle ring yet this thing was wrapping itself in a fig of 8 at times it got sucked up so far. Bizarrely as it got dirtier things improved. I’ve never had it this bad before or since and all i can think of was i maybe had 2 different lubes 1 wet and 1 dry and it may have created a sticky chain

coffeeking
    Free Member

Frames can cause chainsuck but only in conjunction with a dozen other things going wrong at the same time. Frame flex can cause chain misalignment, but I’d think you’d have to be doing some pretty nasty flexing to get it to have sufficient effect to notice, weak BB area might cause it. I’ve had chainsuck on new running gear on road bikes, on my NRS and on my old Coyote. I’ve yet to see if the 456 I just got does the same thing – it’ll drive me nuts if it does.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

what is chain suck? Is it the chain just catching the chainstay?

andyl
    Free Member

seth-enslow666 – Member
    what is chain suck? Is it the chain just catching the chainstay?

Chain not releasing from the chainring when it is supposed to and then getting jammed on the frame – normally leaving a nice big gouge.

Northwind

PolisherMan – Member

cos I’ve got both and they both suck.

I think we’ve found the connection then :mrgreen:

anotherstan
    Free Member

…suffering from chainsuck. I posted on here and Brant said my girlfriend who was the recipient of the build for her birthday was not shifting properly/correctly.

about 18 months ago when i dared to mention that my blue pig was less than ‘awsome’ brant posted on here that the reason for my displeasure was because my chain ring was too small 🙄

edit – should really point out, i’ve never had a problem of any kind with any other ‘brant’ related frame. i’m actually a big fan of on-one as it happens.

stoney
    Free Member

Tring to get it to shift down while under load….it will never come away from the chainring cleanly and then itll suck.......Take a little pressure off the pedding as you shift and itll drop fine….Hey presto ❗ No chainsuck.

It helps if you plan ahead a little and anticipate when you`ll need to grab the granny… 😉

yunki
    Free Member

only had one instance of chainsuck in many happy years of filthy grimy all year round 456 heavy service..

changing under load was the culprit..
    Totally my own fault and not dissimilar to changing gear in your car without using the clutch or deccellerating really..

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Chainsuck…is there a link between 456 and a Hustler…?’ is closed to new replies.