Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Chainset and ratio choice for 2 * 9 setup
  • u02sgb
    Free Member

@freegan bikefascist

In that case, any recommendations for a 2 ring mech that's got he same cable pull as a shimano and would work wiht an inner and middle (say 22t and 34t or 36t)?

JamesP
    Free Member

Swedish Chef – my advice would be go for 40/28 by converting what you have. 40T for XC/Enduros will be fine. I rode 42/30 on everything from Meridas/XC races/Enduros and some 24hr pairs. I rarely changed down into the 30T. The climbing at most UK events is not that severe and when it is its short and sharp.

JamesP
    Free Member

In that case, any recommendations for a 2 ring mech that's got he same cable pull as a shimano and would work wiht an inner and middle (say 22t and 34t or 36t)?

There is really nothing special about front mechs. They all use the same amount of cable pull. You can use a road mech for a double chainset if your cable goes under your bottom bracket (bottom pull) of if you use a speen adapter. I use a SRAM Red front mech with an adapter on my Stumpy. Otherwise there's XX and I think there's an SLX double.

GW
    Free Member

OK. I agree, 100rpm is not particularly fast, infact I'd say it's still a pretty comfortable cadence (some will be able to sustain higher cadence but we'll call that YOUR limit?).
    So if that is given, how long are YOU able to sustain 25mph on a flat road using an MTB with an off-road set up for on your own then?

njee20
    Free Member

Long enough that you'd lose ground in XC races at places like Sherwood and Thetford, and others with long fireroad sections!

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

I've been trying 26/38 up front with an 11-32 cassette this winter on my hardtail. There aren't too many big hills riding from the door (which is all I've really done for 4 months) so the gearing has been fine. I have an 11-34 cassette ready to go on soon though which should make bigger, steeper, longer climbs more comfortable.

I really like the double ring set up though and will probably convert my full susser as well.

Dancake
    Free Member

22/ 36/ bash on the 456. TBH with a 50mm chainline the 36 is very close; not sure if a 40 would fit without changing the bb length. (or spacers for you posh dudes whodont do the square taper thing 🙂 Love the setup BTW. chose exactly the same for the meta

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

SO with an 11-34 cassette what is the optimal ring choice that minimses doubling up on gears and a bad chainline etc?

Northwind

"In that case, any recommendations for a 2 ring mech that's got he same cable pull as a shimano and would work wiht an inner and middle (say 22t and 34t or 36t)? "

The SLX one works slightly better than my XT triple did- less chain clatter basically and it's easier to set up and more forgiving of bad adjustment/cable stretch/muck- but also, it's lighter, and cheaper. So I'd recommend that myself.

My own gearing is 11-34 cassette, 22 and 36 on the front but it sounds like you might want a slightly higher gear? I've never missed the highest ratios yet though.

yunki
    Free Member

22/36/bash with an 11/28 block… it's not quite right though..

might go to 1×9 with a 32 up front.. hmmmmmmmm.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Chainset and ratio choice for 2 * 9 setup’ is closed to new replies.