Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Chainsaws?
  • Zukemonster
    Free Member

Getting a wood burner soon, so I’m going to be needing a chainsaw… 😉

At the moment have a massive pile of large logs from the recent storms, so was going to get a chain saw to to get going at them…

Any recommendations…

Don’t really want to spend more than £100 ,and being petrol would be good

saw this ealier..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003R7DNBQ?psc=1

Thanks

Z.

bigshep
    Free Member

You didn’t read the reviews I take it?
    Second hand Stihl off eBay would be where I’d look to put my money.
    HTH…

trout
    Free Member

Get a good crosscut saw and a sawhorse then your wood will warm you up twice

dont forget to budget for the PPE if you get the chainsaw

redben

I would definitely buy a 2nd gand Stihl over that.
    You dont need a bar that big. 14 inches is more than enough.
    Basically you want a big engined small bar saw as it will power through everything,
    the cheap saws just use a different pitch chain to try and make up for being under engined.

Realistically I think £200 will get you a capeable saw

flip
    Free Member

Good quality stihl or husky will last a domestic user a lifetime, dont buy cheap.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’ve got one of these £99 ones, well almost it’s a 48cc 52cc (I think)
    this one with a 20″ bar that they don’t list now.

They do a slightly more expensive 58cc model which is probably the replacement for the one I have.

Here’s a some of what I’ve cut with it to date…

It hasn’t missed a beat.

tomkerton
    Free Member

Yes go second hand unless you can go to £200 for a new Stihl. Good deal in countrywide at the moment for the MS181 which is what I’ve had for a year, used weekly, very good and sounds perfect for what you,need.

As previous poster said think PPe! I would suggest you need boots, gloves and a vizor as a Minimum .

richmars

As previous poster said think PPe! I would suggest you need boots, gloves and a vizor as a Minimum .

And trousers. And ear defenders.

Zukemonster
    Free Member

Good call about the PPe, knew I would need some stuff but hadn’t started thinking about it.

And yes would be good to do it by hand and get fit but……

I know nothing about this sort of stuff, so great be pointed towards Stihl…. No countrywide stores near me though. More research needed I think!

Thanks

Z.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I was given a Chinese saw. They seem to be about 100 quid. Working well so far and has cut 10’s of ton’s. Wouldn’t expect it to do more than a year or two though and who knows where you get spares. Otherwise double your budget.
    Re PPE you could join the generation or two of those who thought that protection was long trousers. Thousands of us have never had an incident. The day you do though you will regret it for the rest of your life. Start with your feet. Then eyes. Its the same as cycling without a helmet. you assess the risks.

antimony
    Free Member

I’ve got one of the Chinese specials and I’ve used it to cut tonnes of logs. New chain has made a lot of difference. However, it is no becoming a bit difficult to start and it has never been as good as my mates second hand Stihl or even my dads McCulloch.
    My missus (works in A&E) insisted on PPE, but the thought of turning up at her work missing a limb has made me even more careful. Goggles / visor and ear defenders are cheap and can prevent life changing damage.

kfish
    Free Member

My vote would be for a 14″ Hitachi saw, mines not let me down and starts easy, and ppe is a must. I know people who say they can blink quicker than sawdust, but they can’t, and neither can you. A thread on here recently quoted that the average chainsaw cut needs 60 stitches, assuming they can stitch on the removed and mutilated limb/appendage. Chainsaws are cool, wood burning is cool, living to tell the tale is also.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

I bought a 2nd hand Stihl 026 and my Mum’s had a Stihl MS171 for a few years after an MS170 which she didn’t rate. Both great saws.
    Steel toed boots and ear/eye protection as a minimum, trousers and helmet next.
    Got my boots here. They are big; I’m a 9 1/2 and bought an 8.

ski
    Free Member

I know you mentioned your budget was £100, for £150 you could pick up a new stilh ms150 and save yourself a whole deal of problems going for a second hand one, once you replaced a chain, plug, sprocket, filter and carb kit on a used one you could end up spending more!

The ms170 is a great chainsaw for the price too, we still use them at work as they are light and are easy to start ( once you know how).

Don’t forget safety kit and a decent saw horse too 🙂

bryan-g-

I know I lot of guys that work as tree fellers and the all swear by stihl and my old man has been using them for years

tomkerton
    Free Member

If you look in the back of any tree surgeons landy there is only ever Stihl stuff in there! Although Hitatchi make good stuff too IMO.

mst
    Free Member

OP, if you want a set of chainsaw gloves (ppe on 1 hand only) PM me. I have a free set that don’t fit

richmars

Don’t forget Husqvarna.

br
    Free Member

for £150 you could pick up a new stilh ms150

Where, they’re £400.

ski
    Free Member

b r – Member

for £150 you could pick up a new stilh ms150

Where, they’re £400.

sorry, that should have been ms170, they have relaunched it as its been so popular, apart from changing the air filter its basically the same unit

timber

Husqvarna or Stihl second hand if you ever want to repair it. Makita/Dolmar, Jonseerd, Hitachi and Efco worth considering if you come across them as smaller or emerging brands without the premium of the big names, but still have some form of official distribution.
    Smaller bar will get the most out of the engine, 13″ bar from both sides gives 26″ of cutting. Big bars on small saws are slow and lack cutting power.
    My first choice of PPE would be trousers – think where the saw spends most of its time.
    Find out how to sharpen it, far more efficient and safer when cutting.

castanea
    Free Member

I would recommend buying new. It’s just easier for occasional use than the risk of getting a 2nd hand saw that has a few quirks. We get most of our stuff from FRJones and 160 quid will get you the ms170 mentioned above with full warranty etc. 30cc is enough power to drive a 12″ bar through firewood easily enough.

Keep it sharp and it should run for a lifetime.

FFJA
    Free Member

My uncle bought a stihl woodboss 028 AVnearly 30 yrs ago and until last week it never missed a beat for general farm work type use! On the hunt for a carb for it now as I can’t bear to get rid of it, would thoughly recommend one of those!

TooTall
    Free Member

Goggles / visor and ear defenders are cheap and can prevent life changing damage.

Not from the chin down they can’t.

Just stop and think for a minute where that saw is when it is running and in your hands.

Yes, that’s right. Your legs and feet.

antimony
    Free Member

Not from the chin down they can’t.

Just stop and think for a minute where that saw is when it is running and in your hands.

Yes, that’s right. Your legs and feet.
    My point is that if you’re careful and lucky you can avoid limb chopage, but sawdust and the noise will eventually damage your eyes and ears no matter how careful you are.

pikey999
    Free Member

Just to echo the comments about learning how to sharpen the chain(youtube it!), it’s easy when you know how and makes a huge difference. In terms of PPE get good quality 360 degree protective trousers and boots, expensive? yes likely to keep you alive? most certainly money well spent.

geoffj

Get the PPE – you can get reasonably priced kits with all the bits on eBay
    Mitox are a good compromise if you don’t want to stretch to a husky, stihl, echo or makita

Mitox linky – http://www.mowdirect.co.uk/chainsaws/petrol-chainsaws/mitox-petrol-chainsaws

geoffj

FFJA – Member
    My uncle bought a stihl woodboss 028 AVnearly 30 yrs ago and until last week it never missed a beat for general farm work type use! On the hunt for a carb for it now as I can’t bear to get rid of it, would thoughly recommend one of those!
    POSTED 2 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Contact spudulike on the chainsaws bit of Arbtalk if you get stuck.

dryroasted
    Free Member

dont rule out an electric chainsaw if just using at home on a saw horse, also stops the temptation of taking it to the beach

daftvader
    Free Member

Ive got some sipps green trousers 36″, husq lid with shield and ear defenders and some haix boots size 9 1/2 pm if interested, email in profile…..

woodsman
    Free Member

Horsham Fencing Supplies are one of the biggest stockists of Sthil in the area. I bought the base model 14″ about 20 years ago……..

Electric chainsaws seem quite capable for what you are likely to use them for (neighbour has one – does ok with it)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Chainsaws are not to be taken lightly. You have a budget of ton, the cheapest saw I would consider is a 250 quid husky. Don’t take the risk of a cheaply built saw that still has the ability to chuck a razor sharp chain at your femoral artery for the sake of 150 quid.

JoeG
    Free Member

shedbrewed – Member

I bought a 2nd hand Stihl 026 and my Mum’s had a Stihl MS171 for a few years after an MS170 which she didn’t rate.

Your mom has a chainsaw? 😯 Is she Canadian? 😀

barrytheflea
    Free Member

I bought an electric chainsaw for cutting firewood, was told it’s a lot less hassle maintenance wise.

The thing scares me slightly. As someone said previously, it would be easy for a life changing event to happen whilst using one of these things.

I drive a cab, a fella told me a story about how he was going back to the west country to visit his friends family because the father, that he remembered using chainsaws for 30 years had been cutting a fallen tree and the thing sprung over and crushed him. Sounded awful. I suppose the energy stored in this fallen tree was like a 3 ton spring.

I’ve bought a cordless reciprocating saw as well, i use this 90% of the time

Wally

Just bought myself the correct PPE.

alanl
    Free Member

I think the Sthil MS170 is excellent at £155.
    My 14″ cheapie was stolen, so I bought a MS170.
    Brilliant.
    The 171 isnt much different – same engine, but longer bar and £30 more.
    The 12″ 170 does everything I need domestically, if I was using it for work, it’d be too small, but how often do you cut logs wider than around 10″?

geoffj

Chainsaws are not to be taken lightly. You have a budget of ton, the cheapest saw I would consider is a 250 quid husky.

Why the arbitrary 250?

The small stihl and husky offerings are very good.

Put a badly joined chain on any saw and you are running a risk, the value of the saw is irrelevant. You need to understand where the risks are.

gingefella
    Free Member

Husky or Stihl all the way.I was a self employed chainsaw operator for twenty years and you get what you pay for.Buy a good make and if used just for log cutting with simple maintenance it will last you a lifetime.Please dont be tight when it comes to PPE.It will save your life if you **** it up.

TooTall
    Free Member

My point is that if you’re careful and lucky you can avoid limb chopage, but sawdust and the noise will eventually damage your eyes and ears no matter how careful you are.

Not very much of a point and very badly made.

If you rely upon luck to stop a chainsaw when it catches your leg, but you are wearing a helmet and ear defs, you are not really doing a good job of looking after yourself.

firedfromthecircus
    Free Member

Any particular Husky model you recommend no beer?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Chainsaws?’ is closed to new replies.