Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Chainsaws?
  • geoffj

Husky 236 is worth a look. I’ve got one, amongst others.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I don’t know enough about saws to be recommending, but I know enough to really respect them. I have a husky 240e with a 15 inch bar, plenty big enough to keep my wood burner fed.

footflaps

How tough are chainsaw trousers eg can they really stop the blade cutting through or are just sacrificial and delay it a bit as in if you really wanted to cut your own leg off, you could just cut through them?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Depends on the protections/mobility class footflaps but generally they choke the chain so it slows/stops.

thepurist

we’ve got a Husky 135 which is probably a really basic model but seems OK for coppicing duties and general log sawing. Wouldn’t think of using it without PPE though!

Zukemonster
    Free Member

Really great advice here guys. STW to the rescue again! Have just been offered a possible MS181 2nd hand which might fit the bill well enough.

For the sake of scientific research I did try the manual method of sawing the logs today…. Feeling like a had a good work out, but its not going to be the long term solution. (Logs that heat you twice… I like it!)

Z.

footflaps

Depends on the protections/mobility class footflaps but generally they choke the chain so it slows/stops.

Interesting.

I’ve just bought an eletric chainsaw (Bosch thing) as I’m in the process of felling two huge Sycamore trees in the garden and need something to cut the trunks up with. I’ve not used it yet, or even assembled it, but need to think about PPE.

As for the felling, as the trees are right next to fences, I’ve been climbing up to the canopy and sawing (by hand) the trees down a few feet at a time, so I can control where it all lands. First time I’ve used any of my climbing kit in years. The thin stuff has been through the chop saw, but the trunks are probably 16″ diameter or more at the base, hence the chainsaw.

joat

How tough are chainsaw trousers eg can they really stop the blade cutting through or are just sacrificial and delay it a bit as in if you really wanted to cut your own leg off, you could just cut through them?

Never having tried to cut through them at work, I can’t guarantee their efficacy. Having said that, many a time has a piece of bailer-twine or an old pair of tights (used to tie trees to support stakes) stopped the saw instantly – though I wouldn’t recommend either of these as your first line of protection. So I think it’s safe to assume chainsaw trousers would do their job.

grey

20 years plus of using chainsaws professionally with correct PPE and i’ve yet to test the trousers and have no intention of doing so but i have no doubt they work.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWIwyfkmlNs[/video]

Kuco

How tough are chainsaw trousers eg can they really stop the blade cutting through

First hand experience, yes they can stop a Sthil MS240 at full rev’s. Left a cracking bruise and a very sore leg for a week 😳

scotsman
    Free Member

I have a 340e husky for sale if you want it, 6 years old good condition with the usual markings of a fairly well used saw, will come with 18″ and 15″ bars both good condition, and probably 4 or 5 chains which I will sharpen, has not been used for over a year as I have upgraded to a XP saw.

150 quid plus postage.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Chainsaws?’ is closed to new replies.