Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Chains
  • fozzyuk

Is there a difference between SRAM and Shimano ?

I have a 9 speed XT setup but have a spare SRAM chain ?

alexpalacefan

as long as its the same speed it will be fine.

APF

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

No.

Just do it.

[cheeky]
    I used to think that P Premier users had at least ridden a bike and did basic maintenance, now I’m not so sure.
    [/cheeky]

garage-dweller

^^^

No just means they’re extra opinionated. 😉

Back on topic, it’ll be fine (assuming the cassette’s not worn or is being changed)

relliott6879
    Free Member

The major difference is in the pins that hold the links together. SRAM use conventional pins that can be pushed out with a chain tool to split the chain, then aafely pushed back in to rejoin it (aswell as usually having a ‘Powelink’ that enables you to split the chain and rejoin it without the need for tools). Shimano chains have a pin design that, once pushed out with a chain tool, enlarge the hole they sat in. You then have to use a special, larger diameter pin to securely rejoin the chain – mucho faff.

fozzyuk

[cheeky]
    I used to think that P Premier users had at least ridden a bike and did basic maintenance, now I’m not so sure.
    [/cheeky]

Yeah Yeah, new bike you see 😉

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

No just means they’re extra opinionated.

Is that for me? Coz – when it comes to chains – I dont give a damn! I use Shimano, Sram and KMC – whatever is going cheap. I dont notice any difference at all between them. So long as it’s the right speed – go for it. Totally interchangeable afik.

Yeah Yeah, new bike you see

That old excuse! Whats the new bike then?

fozzyuk

Orange 5, after crunching the gears onm the commuter on my way home I dragged out the chain measuring device, yep well over 1 so may as well just run it into the ground…

The new play bike though 0.75 so needs a change, I have a 2 SRAM chains in the draw for the commuter hence the question, don’t fancy paying for 2 drive chains in the same week 😉

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Chains’ is closed to new replies.