• This topic has 23 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by SiB.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Chainring bolt seized to 'housing'….any top tips?
  • SiB
    Free Member

Just trying to change middle ring, 3 bolts out no problem using chainring bolt tool and allen key. The fourth one I can turn with allen key but the housing (probably not correct term) keeps spinning with it. Can get good pressure on chainring tool (not the shimano flat tool, a screwdriver style tool) but no matter how hard I apply pressure it eventually spins with the bolt and now I’m concerned that I could wear away the grooves in the housing.

So, any ideas how to undo the seemingly locked together bolt and housing?

Drac

Put the other 3 back in and tighten them a little, you loosen them a little each at at time not individually or you can end up putting pressure on the one that’s left meaning it won’t loosen.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I doubt that…drill time, tho a Y-tool may help.

Drac

Doubt it all you want it’s true.

More tips here before you follow bad advice about drilling.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/1-stuck-chainring-bolt-why-oh-why-help-pleaseee

SiB
    Free Member

other bolts back in and tried but no joy again, so fustrating as easy job.

got good leverage on chainring bolt tool (screwdriver style)to try to prevent housing turning but just not engaging enough in what I now think are worn down grooves on the nut

no problem turning the whole unit (bolt and nut), infact its surprisingly loose, it all turns together, just cant stop the nut turning when bolt turned……seized together and possibly locktite used?

So this drilling lark……can it be done without damaging chainring, do you just use a bigger drill bit than the allen key and drill through centre of chainring bolt?

Drac

Drilling is always last resort, have you tried gripping the nut with plumbers pliers or a vice?

lipseal
    Free Member

Drill em out, saves all the faffing about.

sockpuppet

have you got proper peg spanner?

they make all the difference, since they fit properly, sit square to the chainset, and you can usually brace them against the axle, especially when the the whole bolt is spinning. so…

– get some plusgas/wd40/penetrating oil of your choice on there
    – let it soak while you wait for the spanner to arrive
    – attach spanner
    – be rewarded and amazed at how well it works

cynic-al
    Free Member

Drac I can see it on a cylinder head, but there’s not enough stiffness in a chainring.

EDIT…ooh appears to work! can’t be the cylinder head effect I assumed it was…

Drac

Oh there’s enough as I’ve found out.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

had this problem the other day

dont use a screwdriver type, you may think you are getting enought leverage/power but you really are not!

i tried it with a ratchet and some plusgas, and it came off straight away….it didnt feel that tight, so i did it back up to test, and still couldnt get it undone with a screwdriver type….

so if your like me and think it should be easy, then your right, it is, with the correct tool!

honestly give that a try as well!

captaindanger

Circlip pliers also work well

cynic-al
    Free Member

You gotta be kidding Drac – I don’t dispute what you’ve seen but no way can it be down to the “cylinder-head effect” (c).

SiB
    Free Member

Have got both the peg tool and screwdriver style……can never seem to get enough grip with the peg tool, maybe I’ve messed about with it so much that perhaps groves on nut aren’t deep enough to get a grip now? They do look ok they and there’s a definite fit. Soon as turn the allen key the nut spins too.

Used both tools on other chainrings with no problem, its as if the bolt and f@*£ing nut are welded together, sooooooo annoying for what should be a simple few second job!

Drac…I cant see how you can grip the nut (think what you want!!)with pliers when its flush against chainring?

The nut and bolt are both spinning when I turn allen key, its NOT just not moving at all, I just can seperate the nut and bolt!

So this drilling lark……!!

lovewookie

If you own a dremel you may be in luck, alternatively drilling should work.

For drilling all you want to do is remove the head of the bolt, so pick a bit bigger than the bolt thread. Drill away. The bolt head will come off and you’ll be able to push the rest of the chainring bolt through.

There is a chance the whole lot will just spin though.

Alternatively, if you have a dremel, you can carefully cut the inner chainring off. This will allow you to either get a pair of mole grips on the chainring bolt allowing you to grip the ‘nut’ bit and undo the bolt, or you can cut off the flange and remove the whole lot through the front of the chainrings.

Do this, then buy a set of FSA bolts with 5mm allen one side and 6mm allen t’other.

Drac

You gotta be kidding Drac – I don’t dispute what you’ve seen but no way can it be down to the “cylinder-head effect” (c).

Yet tighten the others back up a little allows them to loosen? Guess it must be nuts will power of not wanting to be last out that’s hold it there.

Drac…I cant see how you can grip the nut (think what you want!!)with pliers when its flush against chainring?

If you have loosened a little it may push through.

rustler
    Free Member

Is it the first time its been removed ? Its probably glued at the factory. Try tightening a bit first to break the bond.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

If the two parts are spinning (relatively) freely, how is he supposed to drill it without it spinning? I think you might need to follow lovewookies advice and just destroy the “nut” part with saws, chisels, pliers and anything else you can get it with so you can pull it through, then replace.

It will pull through without the head won’t it? You can check with one of the ones you have removed already.

SiB
    Free Member

rustler…cant tighten it as it spins (not too freely but it wont tighten any more)

lovewookie….got a feeling drilling will jusat make it spin but will try, failing that its get every tool out the box and try to destroy nut part or at least be able to get grip on it with pliers. Cut chain ring next if that fails

Those FSA chainring bolts using 5 and 6mm keys sound very practical, will be purchasing four of them and throwing chainring bolt tools away!!

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve drilled one out in the past, I think it span but the drill bit. You could dremel new slots in the female part.

Drac – Moderator

Yet tighten the others back up a little allows them to loosen? Guess it must be nuts will power of not wanting to be last out that’s hold it there.

There may be other effects, what you are suggesting is simply not feasible, open your mind.

lovewookie

rustler…cant tighten it as it spins (not too freely but it wont tighten any more)

lovewookie….got a feeling drilling will jusat make it spin but will try, failing that its get every tool out the box and try to destroy nut part or at least be able to get grip on it with pliers. Cut chain ring next if that fails

Those FSA chainring bolts using 5 and 6mm keys sound very practical, will be purchasing four of them and throwing chainring bolt tools away!!

It may well spin, you may also be able to get enough purchase on it with your chainring bolt peg tool (as the drill will be spinning quite quick) maybe, or you could wedge a screwdriver in the back of it and put that in the vice to hold, that may stop it spinning.

I had this a few weeks ago whilst replacing my outer chainring, although it was quite embarrassing as I was demonstrating to a class in ‘how to strip your drivetrain’ didn’t quite work, but at least I showed them afterwards how to solve the problem via dremel.

😉

robnorthcott
    Free Member

Another thing I’d try in that situation:
    Put an allen key in the bolt and clamp the allen key in a vice with the nut face up. Use an old screwdriver or other suitable pointy thing in one of the slots and tap it round with a hammer. If it’s really stuck it could mess up the edge of the slot, but it may get it off. Shocking things is usually more effective than just applying force.

Rob

takisawa2

Take the chainset off the bike. Grip an allen key firmly in a vice, with about 5mm showing. Mount the crank onto the allen key, with the allen key in the stuck bolt from the front. Support the rest of the crank on something. Using a 10mm drill, carefully drill the chainring retaining bolt from the rear of the crank. The “collar” bit is only a mm or so, it will soon pop off & the bolt will drop out.

If you dont have a vice you’re going to have to improvise. Leave the crank fixed on the bike. Slip some nuts or washers over the end of the allen key till you can only get 5mm or so into the chainring bolt. Now carefully drill as above, while you hold the allen key steady. It will soon pop the “collar” bit off the retaining bolt.

Failing that post me the bloody crank & put an end to this debacle. 🙂

SiB
    Free Member

Thanks for advice over such a small annoying matter, looking forward to getting home to give it another go, I will not fail this time, hopefully!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Chainring bolt seized to 'housing'….any top tips?’ is closed to new replies.