Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Chain suck with 38t ring
  • m_t_b
    Free Member

I have recently converted to a double and bash up front with 26 and 38t rings, loving it shifting is great and ratios are spot on but I am suffering from chain suck. Now I have a larger chin ring in the middle it has left a narrow gap inbetween it and the frame so whenever I do get chain suck it rips up the carbon of my frame… not good.

Just wondering if this is a common thing when running chain rings this size don't really want to have to get a chain tensioner and if I put more protection in there I think it will just make more of a mess as the chain squeezes through. I had sopme heli tape in there and it went through it like a knife through butter. Any suggestions?

mtbfix

Not sure what width BB you have BB outward to the right by 1 x 3mm washer. My ring was grinding the stay under load. If you have a 68mm shell this should be no problem. On a 73mm shell it could be problematic.

m_t_b
    Free Member

I have a 73mm BB and am using one spacer on the drive side so could this be the problem? If so is there anything I can do would rather sort it that protect the frame and hope for the best.

thepodge
    Free Member

Just get an anti-chainsuck plate

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

chainsuck has a cause and its not frame or chainring size. Worn chainrings, dirty or worn chain are the usual reasons. Find the cause of the chainsuck and eliminate it.

What happens is when the chainring ' frame clearance is small chainsuck will gouge the frame – but the frame / chainring clearance is not the cause

http://fagan.co.za/Bikes/Csuck/

crikey
    Free Member

Shorten your chain…

m_t_b
    Free Member

Just have shortened the chain it is too its limit now, thanks for the link very informative. I understand what you mean by frame clearance not being the problem, I guess it just makes the problem worse. I will check out the rings, the chain is new and its cleaned & lubed often

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Chain suck with 38t ring’ is closed to new replies.