Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Chain suck sucks
  • yetiguy
    Free Member

I have been caught out a couple of times when

a) i forgot to lube my chain after cleaning it and

b) when the conditions were so poor i should have had lube on me (lots of rain and a long ride)

So got to thinking if anything can be done on the trail when chainsuck develops.

Last time was just about to wee on the chain 😳 (then saw a farmer and asked him for some oil)

FarmersChoice
    Free Member

I always carry a small bottle of lubricant.

And sometimes I carry something for the chain as well. 😀

yetiguy
    Free Member

@ Farmers choice – If you have done the job right, you dont need lubricant 😉

MadPierre

If you are getting chain suck it ain't lack of lubricant its fecked chain ring(s). The muck and lack of lube just brings it out.

FarmersChoice
    Free Member

Mad Pierre, yes we know, but sometimes it comes on all quick like when out on a ride. Bit of lube helps then.

yetiguy
    Free Member

Disagree Mad Pierre – Full brand new XTR system

No lube and muddy gritty conditions = Chainsuck

Only had it twice and both times i was lubeless (for different reasons)

toys19
    Free Member

yetiguy what bike is it on?

markwalker
    Free Member

always used to get chain suck in the winter especally with the xt cranks, now in the bad weather {naerly all year} i put the deore steel ones one problem solve never had it again 2 years now, keep riding

DT78
    Free Member

no one has suggested single speed…..

markwalker
    Free Member

im to old for single speed

glenh
    Free Member

Yep, just wash the chain down. Wee in its shoes and you are good to go for a few more miles. 😉

schmiken

Singlespeed.

😉

Karinofnine

I get chainsuck on my Salsa, I've got a Middleburn triple crankset. Changed everything so all new, I remove clean and relube after every ride, still chainsuck.

I caught it in the act the other day and noticed that the problem was caused by by chain hooking up on the shifting pins. I've ordered a new chainring without the slickshift, hope this will cure it.

epicyclo

What's chainsuck?

Is this a form of Pompino for geared riders?

amplebrew

I have always put cable ties around the drive side chainstay behind the chainset, does a 1st class job of protecting the frame should the worst happen 🙂

amplebrew

This 'frame wrap' is pretty cool as well. I've got it wrapped around both the chainstays on my Obed and it's been really good.

Frame wrap

Christowkid
    Free Member

Recently I was getting the dreaded suck.
    I checked the chainset teeth – had a bur on one, so gently passed a file over it a few times.
    It re-occurred later, despite always washing and lubing after every ride. In the end was advised off here to check the chain. bought a Park Chain checker to disciver my chain was worn. New chain fitted = end of story, so far!!!
    So, advise you to check chain rings for burs and chain for stretch.
    cheers
    Q

Grimy
    Free Member

I guess if your chain suck was so bad it was nearly unridable, and you had shimano brakes, you could forfit the rear brake and squeaze out the mineral oil onto the chain. Only a thought, never tried it.

westkipper
    Free Member

Despite what some will say about worn drivetrains(though usually true) you can get chainsuck on brand new stuff-there are some bikes that just seem prone to it.
    I gave up MTBing for a few years over it, and the fact I now use a crossbike for offroading is in no small part due to smaller likelihood of getting chainsuck with bigger chainrings.

amplebrew

west kipper – Member
    Despite what some will say about worn drivetrains(though usually true) you can get chainsuck on brand new stuff-there are some bikes that just seem prone to it.

+1

I had a brand new Rocky Vertex that had chainsuck from day one and my Moots got chainsuck a couple of times and that was a cherished bike that wanted for nothing.

Both bikes were set up correctly.

Everybike I've had since gets cable ties wrapped around the chainstay, so that the chain will scrape along the tie rather then the stay. It's a cheap method that works really well.

westkipper
    Free Member

Yip!, one of the most depressing cycling experiences I've had was fitting a totally new XTR drivetrain to my bike, pootling down the street, changing gently from inner to middle and SCRRUMMTTT! as the new chain takes another 10 grams of metal out of the frame. 😥

RealMan
    Free Member

Middleburn chainrings chainsuck like mad. Finally got rid of my little one, just went to a steel deore ring, instantly cured it.

toys19
    Free Member

and me bloody 456 with zero clearance between chainring and chainstay..

mrh86

I re-joined the chainsuck club on todays ride! Fitted complete new drivetrain in november! Just happens in the small chainring. Can't imagine I would have worn the chainring out doing 10-15 miles a week (on average) though?!?!

(bike: ti456, full xt transmission)

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Chain suck sucks’ is closed to new replies.