Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Chain Reaction Wheels – Opinions
  • ken_shields
    Free Member

Looking at buying some custom built Hope wheels with Spank rims and can get them done at CRC

Anybody got any experience of their wheel building?

Any good?

Cheers

Ken

mooman
    Free Member

Had a rear 717 pro2 wheel built the other week. Superb build/price/delivery

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Not as good as Merlin IME. Mine went slack quickly, despite having Pro-Lock nipples. Didn't really bother me because I can sort them out myself, but think of them as a a cheap kit of parts, and you won't go far wrong. 😉

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Got a pair of 717 rims on Hope Pro II from CRC about 3 years ago and have run them on a 5" full sus ever since. The front wheel has been absolutely true all this time and has never been touched despite some pretty hard riding. I did, however, manage to break the rear rim because it was a bit too light for the intended application (now replaced with an 819). Build quality is first class, I'd say.

pealy
    Free Member

I had a cheap Shimano/Mavic front from them last week. Hub was way too tight so had to loosen it off. I was disappointed that they hadn't checked this and makes me wonder about their attention to detail.

Lack of rim tape was a bit of a let-down too, I thought the options were for upgrades, didn't realise I wouldn't get any at all!

N.

pinches
    Free Member

i ordered my wheels (717s on ProII) and they've been fine, untouched for at least 2yrs.

Although, when i bought my 819 on a ProII i actually went to my LBS as it was a fiver more than CRC quoted me, without having to wait for the postman or pay for postage or anything.

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

I bought a pair about 3 years ago. I check them approx every 6 months but so far they've remained nice and true. Running them on a 575 on all types of terrain.

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

4 years ago I bought from CRC some 717's on XT hubs with DB spokes. I wasn't overly impressed. Both went ~3..5 mm wibbly within a few months of XC riding. At the time I blamed my choice of lightweight rims, but experience since has said the build was not as good as it could have been.

Perhaps they have improved more recently from what folks are saying.

bunnerscj
    Free Member

3yr old Pro11's on EX 729 rims DB spokes – still sweat as a nut both rim and hub, cant fault the build quality from CRC !

brakes
    Free Member

I've got a CRC built front wheel from 2005 which is still perfectly true – Mavic on Hope Bulb
    have a rear wheel from CRC from 2007 which is still perfectly true – Mavic on Hope Pro2

Hairychested
    Free Member

No issues ever despite several years of London potholes.

nickc

Weirdly, I priced up a built wheel and the parts for exactly the same wheel, the pre-built wheel was a teener cheaper..

Go figure

ken_shields
    Free Member

cool as…..thanks for the assistance

I've now ordered a pair with red Hope Pro 2's with silver DT Swiss spokes, black nipples and lime green Spank Subrosa rims

How long do they take to deliver?

Shandy
    Free Member

Ken I think its five working days although by the sound of it they may end up impounded by the fashion police, what are you putting them onto?!

ken_shields
    Free Member

a lime green (it's at the powder coaters now) 5.5 spot with white 140mm travel revelations.

It'll look fab when it's all together

richtea
    Free Member

very very happy with some 717s on proIIs they built for me

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

Got some 721s built on pro2s from them 3 years back. Put nipple freeze on the nipples and 0 problems with some pretty rough riding.

naokfreek
    Free Member

I say all good, no issues…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Chain Reaction Wheels – Opinions’ is closed to new replies.