• This topic has 56 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by xyeti.
Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • chain lube or "just" GT85
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

From the GT85 site…

GT85 is a professional lubricant, water displacer, penetrating and non oily spray that contains the magic ingredient PTFE.

And it smells lovely. But as a chain lube? Naaah….Squirt or Purple. Pick one.

kayak23

I’m a cheapskate non-believer in bike specific stuff so use chainsaw oil.

Clean my chain as normal then run it through a rag with this on. Works just as well as any bike lube I’ve tried and a bottle lasts about 35 years…. 😀

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

+1 for chainsaw oil – at start of mud season took chain off, gave it a really good clean, then put in pot of hot chainsaw oil and shook it around, got oil in all links. Now just wash off crap, quick gt45 and its clean and still greased! Quick top up every couple of weeks. 1L Stihl oil £4. Has resisted the Costwold slop really well

Blueadvocate

I’ve been a Squirt man for a while but just about to try some RnR Extreme.

xyeti
    Free Member

I’ve tried everything and can say from “MY” experience that GT85 is no worse than any of the others and is a dam site easier to apply,

The best for “ME” is R’n’R blue, I use the bottle and drop a marble in the bottom to help mix the cloudy bottom up, it’s easy to apply and pretty clean in use, I’ve used squirt to no avail and literally thought I’d be better off dropping candle wax on the links, useless, no lubricarion and just fell off, I know how to apply it and I ride in the wrong flavour mud but it’s useless, Purple extreme, should be re named black extreme “with added grit” as it attracts muck like a magnet.
    Muc Off, congeals into some kind of sticky black yack all over the chain ring and jockey wheel,

Putoline, although the concept appears to be an effective one I,ll wage a crosser can generate some heat into the chain as it whips round the ring, this must aid lubricarion and generate some fling, put it on a MTB chain and it creates a tacky semi static in the driveline, hard to describe apart from it being stubborn to change down sometimes almost like the gears are not set up correctly as the chain struggles move freely, In winter it’s worse and I often find I end up letting it down on the chain with guess what? GT85

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Northwind – Member

Praise the lube and hallelugggiaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa………………

Putoline………………..reject the devils and follow the true path to shed (set a)lightement………….

The real reason putoline users are so evangelic about it? We spend less time in the shed faffing with jars of chain cleaner and multi step cleaning, drying, lubeing processes.

FWIW I did mine Monday night, I doubt I could have cleaned and lubed using a conventional set of products in the same time and it probably won’t need looking at for another few hundred miles.

And as I said, I’m going to have to upgrade from full length SP41 to something else as the cables siezed solid before the lube washed off the chain. Tempted to try flushing the cable outers dry and dipping the inners in putoline too.

iainc

those using R’n’R blue – what your application technique ? I just got some, but last time I had it I reckon i over applied as seemed to go through the bottle in no time.

xyeti
    Free Member

I drip a drop on each of the solid rollers, if you liberally apply it the stuff ends up on your rotors and that’s a bit of a nause, When it’s as cold as it is now about 5 or there abouts i stand mine in a cup of just boiled water for a min or 2 as it gets waxy and thickens up,

The trick is to keep flicking the bottle around while your dropping drips on as the sediment in the bottom, paraffin probably sinks back in,

I tend to leave it to leach into the plates and pins and then wipe it off with an old clean rag before use.

After a dry ride I just leave it for a few more rides but if it’s been wet I wipe it down and re apply, leave it then days later wipe it before a ride.

There little point throwing it all over the chain as it just needs lube on the rollers,

Dibbs
    Free Member

I bought a gallon workshop size container of Finishline Cross Country lube about 15 years ago. I think it’ll last me a couple more years.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

GT85 really b0rked the skin on my hands…permanently 🙁

Rohloff oil is great, but stunningly expensive. It’s not too mucky if you eer on the side of under-applying. In summer its brilliant.

xyeti
    Free Member

Thisisnotaspoon, in the good old days, which I’m sure you can remember, cables were coiled steel wire like the ones net curtains ran on, to stop them rusting inside and snapping we used to fill them with waxoyl,

iainc

thanks xyeti 🙂

xyeti
    Free Member

GT85 is also EXTREMELY FLAMABLE

which I found out some years ago trying to speed up the huge cross cut shredder at work, I set the thing rolling and squirted plenty on the rolling heavy steel blades, the vapour from which appeared to have lurked beneath into the the rather large bin beneath, this shredder was the size of a washing machine.

Long story short, person comes with loads of shredding, heat build up and some say blue and orange flames “I didn’t see them” but I heard the bang. The building was evacuated, it’s a BIG building……. With thousands of staff. Paper dust filled the office, nothing caught fire and I thought best keep stum about this, on the off chance that GT85 wasn’t quite as volatile as an atom bomb and that the office nerd had infact shredded exploding paper,

One for Simon Mayo’s confessions.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

With the air potentially filled with paper dust, you got real lucky with that 😯

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Thisisnotaspoon, in the good old days, which I’m sure you can remember, cables were coiled steel wire like the ones net curtains ran on, to stop them rusting inside and snapping we used to fill them with waxoyl,

My real life avatar is far younger than my forum persona.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Does the RnR blue – or other flavours – stop crap sticking to your chain? I’ve been using UBS for a couple of years, and am pretty happy with it, but it doesn’t hurt to try something else. What I like about the UBS IS how gunk free the drive train stays – does RnR do this too?

xyeti
    Free Member

Hmmmm I never thought about the Paper dust, I suppose I should be thankful nothing serious actually happened,

Thisisnotaspoon, sorry I had you down as an old school 90’s MTB,er

And yes R’n’R keeps the chain relatively free, I’ve had Little Success with with UBS as well, I know it’s water based but I just found it washed off far too quick and was no use what so ever in the dry,

It’s odd how some some stuff works for some whilst for others it’s next to useless?

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘chain lube or "just" GT85’ is closed to new replies.