Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Chain lube
  • marco
    Free Member

ok guys
    Which chain lube do you all favour?
    Been using some Fenwicks wet lube over winter.
    Wot’s good for the dry days ahead?
    Price no object…..as long as its not more than a tenner
    Cheers

wwaswas

got some muc-off dry stuff which seems to be good – the Pedros works pretty well, too.

IHN

Rock’n’Roll Extreme or Gold all year round

Cleans and lubes, it’s the dog’s danglies.

Del
    bm0p700f
    Free Member

Rock n Roll as the IHN said dogs bollocks.

amplebrew

I’m a fan of Purple Extreme which I usually get from CRC.

Just gone on their website though and it appears they don’t sell it anymore.

Stif seem to sell it though.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Rock n Roll Extreme here too

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

putoline chain wax. Makes purple extreme rock and roll look like the expensive and ineffective lubes they are.

amplebrew

I clean and re-lube my chain after every ride, so not sure if applying wax is worth the effort for me.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

amplebrew – you don’t need to do it every ride with the putoline. Dry – many hundreds of miles till needs redoing – stays clean as well. Wet – a hundred or two miles

enfht
    Free Member

Rock n Roll Extreme 😀

hilldodger
    Free Member

TJ, I know you’re a fan of the motorcycle wax and I’m not going to argue against your choice, but 1-200 wet miles would barely last me week and I’m sure as heck not going to stink the house out every weekend for the sake of saving the price of a beer 😉

serious though, what do you do on a multi-day trip ?
    A small bottle of magic blue goo fits in my saddle pack and is applied whilst the coffee’s brewing 😀

amplebrew

TandemJeremy – Member
    amplebrew – you don’t need to do it every ride with the putoline. Dry – many hundreds of miles till needs redoing – stays clean as well. Wet – a hundred or two miles

I was cleaning the chain so often more out of choice.

I am completely unable to put my bike away after a ride without giving it a full clean.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Squirt

Northwind

Squirt is fantastic for properly dry conditions. I found it bloody awful in the wet though- mud glue.

I am consistently not surprised that the best thing to use in wet conditions is a good quality wet lube designed for the purpose. But I’ll be giving the putoline wax a spin next time one of the roadgoing bikes needs a lube.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hilldodger – a couple of hundred miles a week of wet muddy offroad? thats a lot of miles a week. On road even in the wet it lasts hundreds of miles. When its dry its much more

Multiday trips? I lube it before I go and again when I come back.

600miles on the road around the netherlands with a fair amount of rain I did need to put a bit of oil on it. Its the only time I have.

I normally do 20 – 40 miles rides in a day (offroad)so at least 5 days riding even in filthy conditions and in good conditions many more

its not just the money saving – although that is significant its also the vastly improved chain life – 4 or 5 times as long I believe ( but have not recorded) and having nicely lubed chains all the time.

You know those horribly peat bogs that strip the lube out of your chain in minutes – it even survives that.

I do have to say scinceofficer decided the faff was too much for him and I will be interested to hear how northwind gets on.

MRanger156
    Free Member

R&R extreme – excellent but need to apply every ride. Squirt is good for dry conditions.

pedlad

TJ is the put online a dry wax on the chain that sloughs off keeping things clean as squirt is advertised as doing or is more sticky/wet and therefore dirty?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Neither – its solid wax in a big tin you melt on the stove and dunk the chain in – it goes into the bushes and pins and then drips off the outside – you can wipe the outside of the chain clean of the wax and it stays clean in use as its more or less solid

Teh actual wax itself it nasty stuff that stains clothes tho

hilldodger
    Free Member

Yeah, my commute is 15 each way, muddy woods and towpath and only about 1/2 mile of it is road – grim in winter but great when dry.
    I remember the PL from my motorcycle days and it is good stuff, but too much faff for me now – quick wipe with a rag, squirt of blue goo and twiddle cranks, job done 😀

jeb

Get CHAIN-L oil, it so good, long lasting, and will keep your drivetrain, shifting and running for insane long time. Google it, there is a uk importer, read the reviews.

jota180
    Free Member

Rock ‘n’ Roll Extreme here too – knocks that Putoline boil in the bag stuff into a cocked hat

aguesty1
    Free Member

Another vote for Rock ‘n’ Roll Extreme, cracking stuff!

JoeG
    Free Member

Squirt works for me.

marco
    Free Member

Thanks for the serious replies guys – nice to have a good balanced debate for once
    Think i’ll try the R & R

jota180
    Free Member

Think i’ll try the R & R

Make sure you follow the instructions

neninja
    Free Member

Prolink Progold for me. Works better than anything else I’ve tried.

sam_underhill

Seems like this thread is a big thumbs up for R&R, but the usual suspects online don’t stock it any more.

Any ideas where I can buy it; online or Real Shops in surrey / hampshire?

bigbloke
    Free Member

Got my last bottle from ebay due to most online places not stocking.

IHN

Aye, eBay. I think mine came from Rutland Cycles (via eBay).

The big bottles work out much cheaper than the little’uns.

mmel
    Free Member

I may be the only one, but I really get on with Bike Hut dry lube that you pick up off the shelf in – wait or it – Halfords! Feel free to shoot me down, but for me it works really well. Keeps things quiet, smooth and best of all not collecting every last bit of dirt on the trail. It seems to repel water pretty well too which for a dry lube is pretty cool.

dawson

another on Bike Hut Dry Lube here – its a bit ‘thin’, but its not attracting as much dirt as the ‘wet’ type.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Used to use Finish line wet,but now use Squirt.

Not as messy and gunk attracting as Finish Line but you do need to reapply more often when riding in the wet.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Chain lube’ is closed to new replies.