Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Chain Dropping
  • TimCotic
    Free Member

I’m currently running XT drivechain (2 X 10 speed setup) with TA Specialites 38/26T rings. My chain seems to fall off a helluva lot more than when I had the standard 42/32/24 setup. It’s not terrible but I do seem to drop the chain at least once per ride. I’ve just bought a clutch rear mech (not fitted yet). Are there any chain devices that can assist furter for a 38/26 double setup? I haven’t got the legs for a 1 x 10 LOL.
    Cheers.

dantsw13

Does it drop when changing front rings, or just under pedalling?

chives
    Free Member

You might find that the clutch mech sorts it.

TimCotic
    Free Member

Changing front rings Dan. Yes I’m hoping the clutch mech works some magic – chain device would be belt and braces.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

just a thought but I trust you moved the front mech down a little when you changed the rings? Mrs BS runs this exact same set up and reports no issues.

dantsw13

Sounds like a front mech setup issue.

TimCotic
    Free Member

Cheers guys. Any chain devices for doubles?

creamegg
    Free Member

Ive had a gamut chain device with the aluminium bash on my five. Not dropped a chain once.

On my new 1×10 im hoping the clutch mech alone will do the job.

dantsw13

I don’t have a double chain device, but a mate has a blackspire stinger on his and it works fine.

tonyd

Agree most likely front mech set up, moving it down will probably help. Also, your biggest ring has gone from 42T to 38T, can you shorten the chain a little?

Edit: Front mech set up – move down as the biggest ring is lower now, but also check your stoppers as you now have less rings so the mech might be moving over too far.

climbingkev
    Free Member

+1 blackspire stinger. As mentioned drop the front mech so the cage tracks the outer ring with a 1mm gap and ensure you’ve wound in the limiting screws to avoid overshooting the selected chainring.

HTH

Kev

TimCotic
    Free Member

Brilliant – I’ll check up on all that. Any reccommendations on the ultimate tough durable chainrings for double that still shift well?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Chain Dropping’ is closed to new replies.