Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Chafing from knee pads – any solutions?
  • sam_underhill

SWMBO is getting a rubbed spot on her knee from her 661 knee pads (just on one side though). There doesn’t seem to be anything obvious like a seam of anything. A knee warmer under neath so it can move against her skin seems like a good idea but it also sounds a bit hot for the summer. Any other bright ideas?

chakaping
    Free Member

tried barrier cream already?

stumpy01

What pads? The knee/shin pads with the 3 straps around the calf and one above the knee?

I had these and they always chafed – didn’t matter what I did to them.

In the end I replaced them for a different pad and tried them on before buying to make sure they felt better.

I think some pads suit peoples shapes better than others…..

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I have the same problem with my knee & shin pads there Fox ones I think, anyway I wear stretchy knee badage thingies or 3/4 bibs to prevent rubbing, TBO I hardly ever wear them these days.

trailmonkey

bum butter/arse lard or similar

sam_underhill

chakaping – not yet, is that something to get from a pharmacy?

clubby

Are they on the right knee? My Kyle Straits look identical but if I have them on the wrong side one chafes. The straps goes from the inside outwards.

sam_underhill

btw, they are just the knee pad (Kyle?).

chakaping
    Free Member

Yes, but think it’s similar to the arselard (Assos Cream) mentioned above – which is available from bikey shops too.

sam_underhill

perfect, well try a combo of my Assos cream and a compression bandage thingy. Thanks all.

Entonox
    Free Member

Do you wash them regularly?

danjthomas
    Free Member

When the knee pads are on, they shouldnt be pulled tight along the length of your leg (if you get me!) the bottom strap should be coupled up above your calf muscle so that the back of the pad doesnt rub on the knee cap.

mrplow
    Free Member

Could be bobbles – I shaved the bobbles off the inside of my 661 kyle straits which worked. I think the bobbles have been caused by regular washing. They are on their third season and have been machine washed after every ride because I am not a mink.
    The end of my straps point inwards on the correct leg which is different to above.

chiefgrooveguru

Bodyglide.

Radioman

I have a very good solution to this(which you already mentioned in your post)

I always use a pair of Endura knee warmers under my pads. They do not get hot,and actually help to wick sweat well. Stops all chafing and easily washable. The wicking effect is like a base layer so they definitely don’t feel any hotter than just pads alone, and as the skin surface is dryer doesn’t get chaffed.

TheSanityAssassin

A healthy dollop of Sudacrem on each knee sorts that out without the need for any excess wraps/bandages etc.

sheck

Vaseline is a cheap option

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Chafing from knee pads – any solutions?’ is closed to new replies.