• This topic has 9 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by cp.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Centre lock hubs with 6 bolt adpators
  • richmtb

Hey folks

Just got a rather blingy set of XT wheels off the bay.

I knew they would be centre lock so I was fully prepared to buy some new rotors for the wheels. But they have actually come with 6 bolt adaptors.

I’m guessing they will be absolutely fine with the Hope rotors I am running on my existing wheels but is there any advantage to ditching the adaptors and buying new rotors.

Thanks

Rich

njee20
    Free Member

No.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Yes.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

yes and no

robdeanhove
    Free Member

bigrobracing.co.uk
    You’ll get a marginal weight saving, coupled with the advantage of not having to undo 6 small bolts should you ever swap discs, but you’ll not make any functional improvements to the bike and incur significant expense, buying new, centrelock, rotors. I’d stick with what you’ve got until your wear the discs out and replace then.

I run a selection of 6-bolt, adaptors and “proper” centrelock discs and none of the solutions have ever given me any issues. Revoving and assembling centrelocks is a big improvement in convenience though.

Rob
    bigrobracing.co.uk

iainc

steaks yesterday and xt wheels today – you’re gonna be in trouble when she gets back 😆

richmtb

Cheers for that Rob,

Its pretty much what I thought, slightly lighter if I ditch the adaptors.

Incidently these adaptors work with the original lock ring so no more bolts to worry about

richmtb

steaks yesterday and xt wheels today – you’re gonna be in trouble when she gets back

😀 😀
    I almost bought a whole bike!

Excuses are already lined up

“But look dear I’ve just saved £60 by not having to buy new rotors”

“They are tubeless which means I’ll save a fortune on inner tubes”

njee20
    Free Member

You’ll get a marginal weight saving,

Depends on your rotors; adapters + KCNC rotors are lighter than the lightest Centrelock rotors.

coupled with the advantage of not having to undo 6 small bolts should you ever swap discs,

Which you still don’t have to do with the adapters.

I’ll stick by my ‘no’.

cp

as above, depends on the discs, as you can get very light 6-bolt discs…

I’ve got Xt centrelock hubs with superstar adaptors. I really rate these, as the disc just locates on 6 dowels, and the disc, adaptor and a load distribution plate all get sandwiched together when doing the lock nut up. even just with avid 160mm discs, the adaptor and disc is lighter than a mid range centrelock disc.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Centre lock hubs with 6 bolt adpators’ is closed to new replies.