Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Central Heating Boiler
  • valleydaddy
    Free Member

Looks like my PowerMax 155x boiler has finally given up the ghost which is not a bad thing as it’s bloody awful.

My question is what should I replace it with??

Any advice would be greatfully recieved

ta

Pete

divenwob
    Free Member

Not the easiest question to answer really without seeing the current set up I would suggest a nice wall hung combi from the likes of Worcester Bosch or Vaillant.Alternatively you could have a Boiler/Megaflo package,it depends on your hot water requirements and budget.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

OK thanks well we have no real deamnd over and above a normal household for hotwater bath and ensuite shower

Budget circe £800-900 I suppose looking online

midlifecrashes

Baxi have 7 and 10 year guarantees on some combis, just had one fitted, seems fine so far(5 days old, and never had to do a thing to it!).

valleydaddy
    Free Member

cool mate who’s a plumber recommended a Baxi so may got that way unless the dreadful PowerMax can be fixed cheaply, its a right pain noisy and unrealiable

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Power as will have been fitted due to the fact it uses twin flues, and long flue runs, that may ultimately be your deciding factor.

I’m assuming you live in a flat?

Flaperon

Aren’t there building regs issues replacing a boiler with a long flue run? My previous landlord was whinging about the cost of installing inspection hatches in every room the flue ran through.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

no we live in a detached house these were fitted to loads of house on my estate as builder got them cheap seemingly from Potterton don’t google them it doesn’t make pretty reading

somouk
    Free Member

I’ve just replaced a potterton conventional boiler with a Worcester Bosch combi the same as I did at a previous house and so far it’s been excellent. I went with the CDI Compact.

Yet to get a bill to notice the difference financially.

totalshell

you want a boiler fitting for 800 quid.. good luck..

get a worcester 28si hook up a magnaflow and they WILL honour thier 5 year warranty..

astormatt
    Free Member

Seeing as you have said central heating boiler rather than combi, it would suggest you need a system boiler.
    I would definitely recommend a Worcester, especially if you get an installer who is able to offer a seven year guarantee (think you have to install the Worcester filter now to qualify)
    I am a sparky and wire 2-3 boilers a week for a local firm and being honest i haven’t know a system boiler to give any trouble.
    Admittedly they are basic but seem very reliable.
    If you want a combi boiler, again i would definitely recommend a Worcester still, i can’t really compare to other brands but the customer service/guarantee has been second to none and that is the service i have received for my own boiler, not just customers.
    Either way, i think your £800-900 budget is a bit optimistic for a quality installer.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

no sorry the £800 was just for the boiler appreciate I’ll have to pay my mate his daily rate

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

800 quid will get you a BaxiPotterMain or an ideal logic. Don’t even consider anything else at that budget, spend a little more and you’re into Worcester/Valiant and Veismann

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Central Heating Boiler’ is closed to new replies.