Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Cavendish out of Giro
  • taxi25
    Free Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/cycling/8064691.stm

Looks like he’s following the usual pattern for specialized sprinters(win a few stages,get ready for next race).Its probably the best use of him untill he develops the stamina to challenge for the sprinters jersey in major tours (if he ever does).Still a shame though.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

He won’t develop the stamina unless he gives it a go and works further! kind of puts a downer on his 3 stage wins TBH.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Have Pettachi etc ridden through all the big tours previously?

Smee
    Free Member

It’ll just let him get ready and work on any weaknesses he has then he can get ready for the tour.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Chippo made a carrer out of doing this, why not Cav? 😆

Although Cav needs alot more style and coolness before he can even polish Chippo’s cleats.

Ed2001
    Free Member

Munqe-chick, give him a break he’s 24 years old!! and would get absolutely F**** all out of the rest of the giro so why does it put a downer on his 3 stage wins,3stage wins!!!! , most riders don’t get that in their career let alone in 1 GT,which btw he completed last year!!!.I think he has already nearly 50 days of racing, which considering his age and number of years pro is a lot.

IdleJon

I understood that he was only going to ride part of the Giro so he’d have enough form to challenge for the green jersey in the TdF, arguably the more important race. (I may be wrong…..)

mudshark
    Free Member

I think he plans to finish the TdF this year whereas last year he didn’t because of the Olympics so not getting too tired on the Giro this year seems sensible.

shoefiti
    Free Member

I know one thing for sure – i don’t want to see him looking back at me when i look at my box of weetabix in the morning.

boywilson
    Free Member

Cav finished the Giro last year. It only makes sence for him to stay in if theres something to be gained – theres no stages he can win left and hes not in contention for the points jersey. He will rest and dominate in the Tour, it would suprise me if he pulls of that.

clubber
    Free Member

As above, he finished the Giro last year and since he’s aiming for the green jersey at the Tour this year, he clearly intends to finish that. Two full grand tours in one year would be one hell of a lot for a 24year old who’s already raced 50 days this year.

rob1984p
    Free Member

Why would you want a British gem to ruin himself working to the training / preparation plan of an amateur on a forum. He’s a pro on a pro team with tactitions that will help him determine how best to focus his efforts.
    The Tom Simpson book shows what a mess cycling used to be with cramming too much into too little time and all been on amphetamines and other delights, also David Millar blamed his dabble on having been stretched beyond his limits with regards to days raced.
    Why would anyone want to risk discrediting a Brit with so much potential and so much already achieved.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Cavendish out of Giro’ is closed to new replies.