Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Roadies, The plot thickens
  • warton
    Free Member

OK so we all know Roadies never acknowledge us mountain bikers.

But I’m in training for Ironman and I have taken up the dark art. I was out today in the full garb, nice bike, Lycra and guess what? Roadies ignore each over too!!!

I saw a few at various points in the ride said ‘Morning’ And got no response, I was shocked they didn’t even look at me, are they all really so smacked up on EPO that they can’t even talk?

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Everyone ignores you then 😆

fangin
    Free Member

The old gnarly roadies seem more likely to say ‘hello’ around where I live. Especially groups of old guys pootling along in cycle jerseys from long-defunct teams. I suspect that their end of the sport involves stopping at pubs and eating cake, just like MTBers.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    terrahawk
    Free Member

maybe they’re all pissed off because of the windy weather.
    Wind gets on my tits when I’m on the road bike.

warton
    Free Member

It was very windy on the way out, the way home was a blast though…

Still they’re right miserable feckers

dobo
    Free Member

hehe, i was out the other night on my mtb but doing a road ride, and coming towards me was 3 bikes? anyway they all had fairly bright lights and so did i, we said alright, evening etc to each as we passed accross the road but i couldnt tell if they were mtbs or road bikes…

not only am i confused as to weather i should have said hello or not but i also feel cheated..;)

some people do some people dont but i think you just have that look, so people dont 😈

warton
    Free Member

I was naked…

BigDummy
    Free Member

No-one in my road club has any understanding of why mountainbikers are so hostile to road riders. They are baffled by it. Many of them, like me, have both road and mountain bikes. Speakng personally, I am the same person regardless of which bike I ride…. 🙂

warton
    Free Member

BigDummy, so am I everyone gets a hello, walkers, roadies, it doesn’t matter to me, but the majority of roadies misreble, in my experience

aP
    Free Member

I much prefer the cheery greeting of the typical Peaslake mtb-er when I stop for tea when out road riding, mostly consisting of 3 different words for female genitalia, aspersions that my parents were unmarried and something about my bumhole.

Ed2001
    Free Member

These threads are such sh** are all really so insecure that you are bothered wether someone says hello to you, YOUR RIDING YOUR BIKE NOT SPEED DATING. GET A F***** LIFE.

carlnicholsony2k
    Free Member

I will never understand why roadies seem to take the whole concept of cycling so seriously. I mean, I do put the effort in, but a trip to Llandegla often leads to endless conversations with many people I’ve never met, it’s almost a social event.

I’d rather that then try to shave 10 seconds off my next twenty miles.

kevonakona
    Free Member

I’ve enoticed that when they don’t say anything they flash a wave from the hoods. I don’t say anything because i’m ususally lacking any spare lund capacity.

BigDummy
    Free Member

[chuckles at Ed2001]

😉

antigee

Ed2001 said it

recently when driving my small people bus i’ve starting raising my finger at passing HGV’s and i don’t get many cheery waves in response – might get a cb radio – anyone know if there is a roadie club for cb enthuiasts? could try a quick one niner as we pass and see if that solves the worlds most pressing problem

vdubber67
    Free Member

I think there’s a fundamental flaw in the whole logic of this. You assume that people on road bikes are exclusively ‘roadies’ They might be fellow MTBers, training on a road bike for example. Would it upset you more or less then? Does it actually matter one jot whether another human being ignores you anyway?

Gary_M
    Free Member

I will never understand why roadies seem to take the whole concept of cycling so seriously 🙄

BadlyWiredDog

Don’t roadies just nod imperceptibly or raise an eyebrow. It’s not very practical exchanging greetings when you have a closing speed of 40mph.

njee20
    Free Member

Ed2001’s spot on, who cares?! I generally acknoweldge most people, far and away the rudest group are the gnarly ‘freeriders’, who totally ignore you if you’re on a road bike, and generally sneer if you’re on an XC bike. Because 6″ travel, body armour and a full face helmet is really appropriate for the Surrey Hills…

I just chuckle to myself!

GavinB

Maybe they just didn’t like your lycra?

I mean, perhaps you had unknowingly made a roadie fashion faux-pas, you know, like wearing a helmet that didn’t match your lycra and bar tape.

finbar
    Free Member

Do you have tri bars?

MrNutt
    Free Member

take the little flag off the back of your pannier rack and unzip tie the teddy from your bars?

Spongebob
    Free Member

Saw at least 10 roadies out today (when I took my life in my hands and dusted off the roadbike to ride on a public highway).

Out of those ten riders, two appeared to ignore my friendly knod. I think these are the sort of people that take their cycling (and themselves) far too seriously!

Off road wins hands down in my book. Much safer away from the brain dead maniacs who propel their 1 tonne missiles at vulnerable road users!

geetee1972
    Free Member

Roadies – right up there with kiddy fiddlers!

duckers
    Free Member

Its a fine art, if you look like your going fast enough and working hard enough they’ll acknowledge you, if your casually trundling along they dont.

Runners are a different breed, all runners seem to acknowledge all runners, at least up here in smogsville.

sq225917
    Free Member

Unlike mtb’ers who need to feel the self assurance generated by someone acknowledging them, roadies are too busy riding hard to give a flying F!

I usually raise the fingers of my right hand from the bar in a tiny little Thalidomide wave, you know the sort of signal you could deny when asked if you waved.

yeh roadies, mardy buggers

markcdo
    Free Member

Have to agree with njee, of all the people I regularly meet, be it running, the odd road ride or on some trail somewhere by far the most ignorant twunts are “young” downhill/freeride types. Usually seen on a £4k bike that they clearly didn’t buy (daddy did), making poor excuses for not actually riding anything remotely technical or dangerous, dropping rubbish and abusing anyone with less than 6 inches – of travel, obviously.

aviemoron
    Free Member

I don’t know what’s happening in the rest of the UK, but round our way most everybody riding anything says hello.

69er
    Free Member

I ride the track, they’re friendly bunch. But weird though. On the track they’re mostly grimacing from the effort…

I train on the roads, I say hello to everyone I see. Hit rate is about 50%
    I commute a couple of hours each day, see the same faces, they generally all say hello.

I ride off road loads, I say hello to everyone I see. Hit rate is about 95%

When I ride in France (dans la rue) I always[/u] get a nod. And respect from other road users. What a great country. And they play better rugby than us….

Be friendly – it catching!

0091paddy
    Free Member

haha, so many of you talk such garbage!

IcarusGreen
    Free Member

I think that the whole smile/nod/wave thing is generally just not as common as it used to be.

I normally give a nod or smile to anyone whose in passing distance (even foot goers) no matter if i’m on my road or mountain bike and the responces vary.

Roadies – serious (nature of the beast)

XC – friendly

DH/Free ride – totally depends on age (the older the friendlier)

Mk1 foot – scorn

Mk1 foot with loose dog – just don’t want you to run over the mutt.

Of course their are lots of exeptions to the rules as gennerally if your on a bike cyclists are freindly (even those with motors)

project
    Free Member

[http://cucinatestarossa.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/red_bike_shorts_1.jpg

Thats roadies for you, always carrying, a lightweight pump.

Moses

These threads are such sh** are all really so insecure that you are bothered wether someone says hello to you, YOUR RIDING YOUR BIKE NOT SPEED DATING. GET A F***** LIFE.

Nice rant, Ed.
    Can we do it in English, please?
    These threads are such sh** are you all really so insecure that you are bothered whether someone says hello to you? YOU’Re RIDING YOUR BIKE NOT SPEED DATING. GET A F***** LIFE.

🙂

clump
    Free Member

ride a BIKE

clump
    Free Member

not a roadbike

clump
    Free Member

………………or a mountainbike

clump
    Free Member

say “hello” to people, they might say “hi” back….they might not. Probably depends on them NOT the width of their tyres.

zaskar
    Free Member

I nod now and again unless I’m knackered and don’t see you as I’m concentrating on the road.

Not all roadies or mtbers nod or say hello.

Walk down the street and some will say hi some will not even look at you.

So what? life is too hectioc to worry about this $hit.

Studied EPO (for sick patients) to death so don’t mention that again either.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

What the **** is the dark art? What a **** dumbass phrase.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Roadies, The plot thickens’ is closed to new replies.