Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Cars without CD players
  • wombat

Have been considering changing the Wombatmobile and have discovered that many manufacturers don’t include a CD player as standard equipment (some don’t even have the option of adding on).
    When did this happen?
    Have I been transported back to 1992?
    Bit of a 1st world issue I know but what is the world coming to?

butcher

People still use CDs?

wombat

This person does 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Get with the program, granddad!

All the cool kids are using Zunes these days.

slowoldman

Do you want slimline salad dressing?

wombat

30 years and a plastic cover to you chief

simondbarnes

I can’t remember last time I used a cd in the car. Just plug a usb stick in now.

aracer
    Free Member

They have BT connectivity instead as a step into the 21st century? There’s a good chance I’m older than you, but get with it granddad – I’d happily trade my CD player for built in BT music.

wombat

That may be fine on the drive but how does it work when the car’s away from the house, anyway we’re not with BT, we went with Sky instead. 😉
    I’m only 46 😳

bearnecessities

I mourn my old “Max-Power” E30 with a minidisc player – now that was a music delivery mechanism suitable for a car. Grab a battered disc from the glovebox and shove it in for perfecto soundage. Everything else was a backwards move.

Now pass me my werthers.

CountZero

I installed a Kenwood DAB unit in my car five or six years ago, which has a CD slot, along with a front USB slot.
    It’s never been used. I cannot see the point in cluttering up the car with a bunch of discs that only hold around 70 minutes of music, when I can connect my phone, my iPods, or a memory stick with gigabytes of music on using the USB port.
    Many recent cars have a USB port for plugging devices into, along with a 3.5mm input for an analogue connector.
    The dropping of CD slots has been going on for a number of years, you might as well ask why they don’t still have a cassette slot as well, seeing as how da yoof are getting all moist over cassette releases of new albums.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Wombat I paid extra for a CD autochanger in my car in 2007. I have NEVER used it !

Now a jack-plug in or a USB connecter is much more useful, some Toyotas now have 2 USB connectors

bearnecessities

On that point, BMW persisted with cassette slots for a worrying amount of time; almost as if they didn’t get the memo.

binners

I just put a new JVC DAB Radio in the Binnersmobile. If I want to listen to owt other than DAB I just plug my iPhone into the USB. There is one really bad thing about this. My 12 year old daughter can whip the USB out and plug hers in instead, and I can’t do much about it while I’m driving. Have you listened to the music presently popular with12 year old girls?!! 😯

Given that she won’t even know what a CD is, I might go retro instead 🙂

wombat

Jambalaya, I have a CD changer in my current (6 year old) car and use it all the time.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

I still miss haviing a cassette deck in the car, there was nothing better than a carefully put together compilation tape on a journey.

wombat

Centralscruitoniser +1
    The real PITA will be converting all the Cds I have in my car to put them onto an mp3 music player.
    I’ve not even finished transferring my vinyl to Cd yet.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Both out cars have cd’s in, both less than a year old, both top of range.

john_drummer
    Free Member

what kind of cars are you looking at? Dacia?

isitafox
    Free Member

Wish my car had a cassette player, rave tapes galore in my cupboard wasting away!

wombat

@Johndrummer, you’d think so wouldn’t you but so far the list is, current model Skoda Superb, Peugeot 508 and 308 so far, available as an option on Mazda 6 and a couple of Volvos
    Edit
    Might try Dacia if it means I can keep my bangin choonz

aracer
    Free Member

Insert CD in computer, click on rip in WMP, rinse and repeat. How many CDs do you have in your car to make it a PITA? This is something on which you’re basing car choice? 😯

As opposed to a playlist? 🙄

I mean here I am thinking I’m a bit behind the times on some of this and you lot making me feel positively leading edge.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Just been on the Ford website, both Kuga and Mustang have CD players with MP3 capability. I assume other models also have the same. Although TBH the Mustang has it’s own soundtrack 😉

Are you sure they don’t have CD player? Not just “well hidden” in the ‘infotainment’ system?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Jambalaya, I have a CD changer in my current (6 year old) car and use it all the time.

I do appreciate other views are available ! I suppose what the manufacturers are reflecting is that CDs are dying out and most people would rather have a different feature.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

As opposed to a playlist?

Playlist vs mixtape
    Maps vs satnav
    Guidebooks vs .GXP files

Sometimes it’s a bit more fun to put the extra effort in. And where’s the romance in giving a girl a playlist!

househusband

I miss having a CD player in my car.

(There, I’ve said it…)

andyl
    Free Member

Wish my car had a cassette player, rave tapes galore in my cupboard wasting away!

+1

All my tapes seem to have the same tunes as all the “new” dance albums out these days.

wombat

A playlist doesn’t require the thought or commitment of a well crafted mix tape.

The presence of a CD player isn’t the only criterion for a potential car purchase, that’s would be silly

aracer
    Free Member

Well there are obvious advantages to a map over a satnav or a guidebook over a GXP…

I suspect if you gave a mixtape to somebody who could reasonably be described as a girl that not only would she have no idea what to do with it, she wouldn’t even have any idea what it was.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Insert CD in computer,

Computers have CD slots? What is the world coming to?

simon_g

Are you sure they don’t have CD player? Not just “well hidden” in the ‘infotainment’ system

Lots have moved the CD transport away from the touchscreen in the middle of the car. VAG stuff has it in the glovebox, unless they cheap out and don’t include it (just a blank instead), like on the current Octavia.

Haven’t used a CD in the car for about a decade. Once iPod interfaces (then later Bluetooth audio) existed, I’ve never felt the need.

aracer
    Free Member

It appears to require exactly the same amount of artistic thought – it’s just the extra wasted effort and time involved in making a mixtape makes it seem like you’re putting more into it.

The presence of a CD player isn’t the only criterion for a potential car purchase, that’s would be silly

😳 ah – just the main criterion?

zanelad
    Free Member

Listen to the radio.

Dibbs
    Free Member

My car has a CD/DVD player, I’ve had it from new (4 years now) and I don’t think I’ve ever used it to play either, just use an iPod in the glovebox via USB.

prawny

Had my last car for two years and I couldn’t tell you if the cd player worked or not, never used it. Not sure if through one before got used either come to think of it. A usb socket was a must have in the replacement cost, and I was gutted when I found out BMW don’t include Bluetooth streaming as standard, tight feckers.

nosedive
    Free Member

First thing i did with the van was buy a DAB bluetooth ipod handsfree thing. Strangely though i still fill up the glovebox with CDs and prefer them to the other gubbins.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I still have a cassette player in my van because I can connect an MP3 player or my phone via one of those cassettes with a cable sticking out of it. Our car has CD, aux and USB but I prefer using the MP3 player.

user-removed
    Free Member

I love my CD player. But it has a habit of swallowing CDs and refusing to eject them. Known issue with Meganes. Wasn’t too bad when it was Neil Young but I was relieved when it finally ejected The Smartest Giant in Town.

In fact, even the three year old was glad.

On the whole though, it’s Radio 4 – I look forward to the peaceful time we spend together.

SludgeJudge

My Golf comes with a CD/DVD player but also has Bluetooth, a USB/ipod/aux in connection, two SD card slots and a built in 64GB hard disk – 10GB can be used for music.

I’ve just transferred most of my music to the built in Jukebox hard drive which seems the best solution for listening to music. I’ve occasionally used the CD player but it’s located in the glovebox and difficult to access on the move.

prettygreenparrot

Mine came with a CD player. Not used it except for putting a QOTSA CD-R in it that I had in my old car’s glovebox. I use Radio 4 (FM), USB, or bluetooth instead.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Cars without CD players’ is closed to new replies.