Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Cars without CD players
  • mattsccm
    Free Member

I’m with the OP.
    Why the hell am I going to mess about collecting my music on one silly little bit of plastic when it comes in a unit that I can see and identify?
    I see what I want by looking at the 4″ square label and shove it in. No menu checking.
    As for the phone. Well some of us sadly own one but happily have no bloody idea where it is. Why would it be switched on unless I want to call some one?
    I sit smug in knowing that I have not descended to modern levels.
    In fact in the Land Rover there is no radio at all. I talk to the person next to me or happily plan world domination if by myself.

Edric64
    Free Member

I only have CDs .I wouldnt know how to get music on anything else like a usb

canopy
    Free Member

first thing i did when i bought my current car was swap in the head unit from my old car that took USB / CD / AUX in.. i used to use the usb stick a lot, as times gone on use the AUX all the time (iphone in mount) and the rest rarely. next car i’d want bluetooth and aux at the bare minimum.

hell i’m sat here at home with my morning coffee listening to music via a hi-fi amp bluetooth receiver into an old amp ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-980-000913-Bluetooth-Audio-Adapter/dp/B00IJYG4FY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473231920&sr=8-1 )

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Edric 64 – Member
    I only have CDs .I wouldnt know how to get music on anything else like a usb

http://www.spotify.com
    Offline Playlist on phone and Aux Jack or if you have enough data just anything they have

tonyg2003

comes with a CD/DVD player but also has Bluetooth, a USB/ipod/aux in connection, two SD card slots and a built in 64GB hard disk – 10GB can be used for music.

As per Sludge Judge my new car came with a gazillion entertainment options as above. As well as Apple CarPlay.
    Not sure if I’d ever use a CD though. I sold almost all mine to music Magpie years ago

jekkyl

bluetooth connection in mine that connects automatically to my ipod nano, where I can fit a thousand years of music on* Great stuff.

*not actually a thousand years

Yak

I’m with the OP here. I haven’t made the technoleap to mp3 or whatever format is needed. Tapes were fine too. You know, something manual/analogue to shove into a player instead of pushing buttons on a phone. Pah, humbug.

Sat nav too- always going wrong. Paper maps ftw.

[off to smoke pipe and wear slippers ]

stumpy01

bearnecessities – Member

On that point, BMW persisted with cassette slots for a worrying amount of time; almost as if they didn’t get the memo.

My sister’s 05 plate Polo came with a cassette player as standard; in 2005!!

I don’t think I would buy a car with no CD player.

I might be stuck with my current one for the next 30 years!

P-Jay
    Free Member

FunkyDunc – Member

Both out cars have cd’s in, both less than a year old, both top of range.

Get you!

Mine’s from 2011 it’s also the top spec one, it doesn’t come with a CD player, you can use the DVD slot in the sat-nav I’m told. It’s got two SD card slots and Aux socket and an in-built ipod dock, but it’s the old style one so pretty useless.

The cheaper ones had CD players.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

The real PITA will be converting all the Cds I have in my car to put them onto an mp3 music player

And that right there is why we still use a bundle of CDs.

But you know, just to get with the times, we’ve also got bluetooth capability and phones that do a bluetooth music doohickey.

I hear some of the youth are even still using those giant vinyl record things. Although not in a car.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Our Corniche still has its eight track player. The tapes are as big as a cereal packet.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I still miss haviing a cassette deck in the car, there was nothing better than a carefully put together compilation tape on a journey.

This.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

On a related note, my local supermarket is selling racks of things called “DVD’s”…

Que?

pictonroad

On a related but not related note. In the 20yr old truck I have a 10 yr old DAB blaukpunt wireless. It has an aux in but it’s really quiet compared to the volume on the radio or CD.

Is this an output ‘volume’ issue from my iphone? Do these inline 3.5mm amps work to amplify this signal and thus encourage the wireless to be a tad more enthusiastic?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Our Cornichestill has its eight track player. The tapes are as big as a cereal packet.

wins the thread as usual …. and it only took 2 words really ….

stumpy01

pictonroad – Member

On a related but not related note. In the 20yr old truck I have a 10 yr old DAB blaukpunt wireless. It has an aux in but it’s really quiet compared to the volume on the radio or CD.

Is this an output ‘volume’ issue from my iphone? Do these inline 3.5mm amps work to amplify this signal and thus encourage the wireless to be a tad more enthusiastic?

Presumably you’ve turned the volume right up on the device?
    The stereo in our car has got an aux in, which is a plain 3.5mm jack (as well as a USB socket for a flash drive).
    When you choose ‘aux’ as the source and then press the menu button, there is an option to increase the output from the aux socket – ours has 3 levels.
    Perhaps you have this option, once you’ve selected aux….?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

“Our corniche”

What he neglected to mention is that it’s holding up the corner of his house and is in use as a wood store

P-Jay
    Free Member

This thread has reminded me that I haven’t listened a Music CD in at least 5 years, I’ve got a ‘media PC’ that I know will play a CD, but my only ‘CD player’ is my old Denon one from 1997 which is in storage because I can’t bare to throw it out. We don’t have a DVD or Bluray player in the house any more since the PS3 died a few years ago. The ‘media pc’ which sit under the telly has a disc drive, but I couldn’t tell you what standard it is – other than it will play CDs at a minimum.

Work in IT and disc media is all but obsolete here too. One of the older lads still has a book of discs with media for OS and stuff like that, but I haven’t seen it used in years.

Funny how things fade away.

djglover
    Free Member

I wouldnt buy a car without DAB radio and a USB input, but a CD player… 😀

Wombats previous car

wombat

Djglover – Very similar, the main difference is that mine was right hand drive 😉

Work in IT and disc media is all but obsolete here too.

Don’t assume it obsolete just because you don’t use it. Only the other week, we were scrabbling around looking for our only remaining 3.5″ floppy drive and I’ve just come across someone still using DATAEASE on a x486 – it suits their business needs perfectly, so why change.

I haven’t seen an Iomega Zip drive in years though.

scuttler

Graphic Equalizer for equalizing the graphics.

philjunior
    Free Member

I have a CD player in my (nearly 3 year old) car. It’s good, it gets used.

It is hidden in the glove box though, and I use the bluetooth and stuff far more often.

mmannerr

Most new cars with CD players will play CD-Rs with MP3s too. Not as handy as 32gb USB drive / SD card but my CD-Rs were created with artisan skills and huge amount of work in the 90’s and couldn’t just bin them until they were scratched unreadable. Encoding a CD on 200MHz Pentium took several hours…

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Our car has a CD player, and USB, and Bluetooth, and an Aux line in and a hard drive, and internet, and a wifi hotspot (if I want one)

Pretty sure CD/USB/BT/Aux is the minimum standard across the range.

DezB
    Free Member

Cds aren’t obsolete any more than vinyl is.
    Just buy a decent car wombat and don’t chuck your money. away on something new.

gonzy
    Free Member

current car 2010 cmax has a cd player with aux socket. no usb or bluetooth

i still have a pioneer keh-p8200 head unit, pioneer cdx-fm128 12 disc changer with spare cartidge, pioneer gm-x802 amplifier and all the speakers sat in the loft

wife is thinking of changing jobs so i might have to buy another car…might get a cheap banger and install it and give her the cmax

traildog
    Free Member

My Octavia has a cd player hidden away in the glove box but I never use it. It’s far better to put the cds on an sd card. Cds in cars were always a disaster – they would eventually get damaged so you had to put copies in the car. Far better to copy to a card and not worry about it. It takes up hardly any time and is just a better system.

The main downside is the stupid menus you have to navigate – whilst driving. But I think modern cars need to seriously think about their interfaces – even simple things like changing the radio seems to involve lots of dangerous menus.

aracer
    Free Member

Ah – you own the car in djglover’s picture?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I haven’t seen an Iomega Zip drive in years though.

I have one in the study drawer. Not even eBay wants it. 🙁

philjunior
    Free Member

But I think modern cars need to seriously think about their interfaces – even simple things like changing the radio seems to involve lots of dangerous menus.

I too have an octavia. Changing the radio station involves pressing another preset on the touchscreen – or maybe changing the source to FM if you’re in an area with no DAB. It’s not inordinately hard or distracting. Of course if you want to select a new DAB station you’ll need a passenger to do it for you and even explaining it to them will probably be dangerously distracting.

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Cars without CD players’ is closed to new replies.