Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Carrying a camera (Micro four thirds) when riding
  • Nick

Have a GF2, with a couple of lenses that I bought to use on holiday last year, would like to take it out on the bike but I need a bag that is just big enough for it with the 45-200mm lens.

I’ve got a leather thing for when I carry it around with the 14mm lens, and a silly big bag thing for everything, but I want something to protect the camera when out riding, that provides quick and easy access to it when I need it.

Any suggestions?

Russell96

I’ve a GF3 with the 20mm Prime and it easily fits in a ziplock freezer bag that I just put in my Camelbak. Not as easy to get to as the shoulder strap holder I’ve got to fit a compact but I’ll put up with the slight hassle of getting to for the protection if offers.

Nick

To be honest I want more protection than a ziplock bag! Plus with the zoom on then it’s just going to get completely trashed being bounced around in a plastic bag.

I could be convinced to just take the 14mm prime but still want more protection.

IA

I use a little low-pro bag thing attached to my chest (carabiner clips to each camelback strap then one to waist strap) to carry my G1. Gives nice quick access and well protected by flailing arms etc in event of a crash.

grum
    Free Member

I reckon you want the camera in something you can attach to the chest strap – otherwise you don’t bother getting it out of your bag half the time. I use a Lowepro LC1 lens case with my GF1 and 20mm – not tried taking the 45-200mm out though.

Nick

Grum – lens case sounds like a clever idea, much cheaper than a camera case too, thanks!

doug_basqueMTB.com

I have the GF1 and 20mm too and carry it like IA. I have a Lowepro 60AW bag that fits onto my camelback strap. When I first put it there I thought it would be a pain but it’s not noticable when riding. I’ve crashed quite a few times recently and it’s been fine.

I don’t know if this will work but you can sort of see it in this photo hanging on my chest:

FWIW it’s the best thing I ever bought for my photos. Instead of fumbling in an overstuffed pocket or having to take my backpack off it’s just there. I’ve got so many photos recently that I just wouldn’t have before simply because my camera is to hand.

Edit: that doesn’t work! Sorry, I don’t know how to share photos from pics from G+

IA

Not sure which lowepro I have, but I think it’d fit a GF2 and longer zoom. Fits my bigger G1 with 14-45 fine. I just took the camera and lens into a jessops and spent some time trying out all the bags. Cost about a tenner.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I just carry my GF2 with the 20mm 1.7 when riding and did the same last week when skiing.

I have a couple of other lenses that I keep in my man bag day to day or back pack when walking but not normally when doing sporty things.

bigjim

Good stuff, I’m looking to splurge on the 20mm pancake lens for my G2 to make it more portable. I was down with the zip bag in my backpack route but might have a look at some of these options.

Anyone got a spare 20mm pancake?

plumbob

After a bit of surfing, I went for this..

http://www.kriega.com/products/R3.html

Works a treat, don’t have to take off camelbak etc

Doesn’t shout there is a camera inside and I just rotate round my waist to access it. The liner bag is removable so you can add additional padding if you want

PB

nikk
    Free Member

I use one of these http://www.clikelite.com/products/compact-sport/

Anyone got a spare 20mm pancake?

I’m thinking of selling mine, in excellent condition, gimme a shout.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I might be after one too…no email in your profile tho, so how does one “give you a shout”?

bigjim

I can’t find your email either nikk, and locked myself out my flickr trying to flickr mail you!

shedbrewed
    Free Member

plumbob – Member

After a bit of surfing, I went for this..

http://www.kriega.com/products/R3.html

Works a treat, don’t have to take off camelbak etc

Doesn’t shout there is a camera inside and I just rotate round my waist to access it. The liner bag is removable so you can add additional padding if you want

PB

I have an R3 in very good nick if anyone wants to buy it. I just don’t use it now I have an R20. email is thintom at hotmail dot com

nikk
    Free Member

bigjim / cynic-al – get me at my Flickr page, the email icon is near the top middle. bigjim has 1st call.

JasonDS
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Carrying a camera (Micro four thirds) when riding’ is closed to new replies.