Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • carpet cleaning
  • bruneep

Mrs B is requiring the carpet cleaned due to dirt from dug kids and general grubbiness.

Do I/we

1. Pay a man to do

2. hire a machine and gubbings

3. buy a machine (not far of the cost of hiring)and we could clean other carpets at leisure.

Any recommendations of machines to hire/buy?

ta

Drac

Mrs B is requiring the carpet cleaned due to dirt

bruneep

<sigh>

You no work to do?

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

We hired a rug doctor from B&Q and it cleaned really well. just hire it for the day and get the “gubbings”. It is probably a better cleaner than a cheaper one you would buy yourself. we were really impressed. Also the rug doctor stain remover is magic.

Drac

You no work to do?

Not back to Friday night.

PePPeR

Thanks for heads up for Rug Doctor, I work for them.

Best machine I have ever used and i used to clean carpets for a living!

If you have a Morrisons near they are the cheapest place to rent from for detergent and rental.

Make sure you take 2 forms if Into the store ie proof of address (household bill) the and a proof of signature ie driving licence.

footflaps

I keep meaning to hire one from our local Tesco, as the Cats have made quite a mess of the living room carpet, mainly by disemboweling wildlife on it.

bruneep

Thanks for heads up for Rug Doctor, I work for them.

doing anything important? Got a discount code/voucher 😉

PePPeR

No sorry…

bruneep

Not back to Friday night.

slacker

dobo
    Free Member

rug doctor worked well when i changed rental a few years back. just take your time and do a proper job and comes out good

Drac

slacker

Yup.

midlifecrashes

Despite PePPeR being a bit spammy, they are a good bit of kit, clean well and don’t leave the carpets too wet. Landlord here and hire them regularly. Takes a properly shagged carpet not to come up well with a couple of passes of the machine.

Madfly
    Free Member

We hired a rug doctor a couple of times and were impressed. Ended up buying one as second hand they barely loose any value and we use it every few months. I also get plenty of thankyou beers when friends borrow it!

PePPeR

{quote]Despite PePPeR being a bit spammy,[/quote]

Oy! Ok maybe a little…

But they are seriously good machines.

Beware peeps that if you buy one it can’t be Red as they are all stolen, Rug Doctor don’t sell Red machines to the public. Machines for the public are blue!

dooosuk
    Free Member

As above hire a Rug Doctor, but my advice is….

Hire it for 24hrs with the hire starting in the afternoon. Do one pass that afternoon/evening and then do a second pass the following morning when it’s dried a bit before returning the machine.

philconsequence
    Free Member

how soon after cleaning can you put furniture back on the carpet? want to do ours but to do so would either require moving the contents of the house outside into the road or a mixture of tetris and jenga to generally shuffle things around whilst we clean one patch at a time…..

so its about 30quid to hire the machine, how much to budget for cleaning products on top of that?

carpet has no big stains but its generally discoloured through walked in dirt in the high traffic areas, noticeable when you moves rugs for example!

dooosuk
    Free Member

how much to budget for cleaning products on top of that?

How much are you cleaning? One room or the entire house?

It tells you on the bottles how much to buy.

philconsequence
    Free Member

ummm its not the biggest house! i’ll have a gander at the bottles/machiens next time i’m in tescos 🙂

cheers 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Buy the cheapest Vax carpet cleaner. We paid about £80 and have used it often.

It doens’t take long to dry – just go out for the day and you’re done. We paid a bloke to come around and do ours and he used a Karcher machine that did the exact same thing. Waste of money. He did however give us the tip to use laundry detergent intsead of carpet shampoo. I intend to try this this weekend.

Our hall stairs and landing carpets are properly filthy, so I’m going to hoover, then go over with a stiff brush, hoover again, rub detergent in with the brush then use the carpet cleaner with water.

PePPeR

If you want to put the furniture straight back on the carpet put pieces of kitchen foil under the legs of the items.

I always do a second clean at 45 degrees to the original line as you’ll pick more dirt up.

I also use the hand tool to do all the edges and doorways before cleaning the main area as it saves you getting wet knees and makes for a better job.

Oh and Morrisons do a weekend deal from 4.00pm on a Friday till 10:00am Monday for only £25 plus the detergent you need.

philconsequence
    Free Member

cheers for the advice and the heads up on morrisons! 😀

konabunny
    Free Member

cleaning service providings…

The detergent seems fairly cheap but FYI lifehacker and others suggest using white vinegar.

Has anyone used these machines (the hand attachment obviously) with car interiors?

RustyMac

If you can’t be arsed to do it yourself I can recommend someone in Aberdeen that does an excellent job. We have used him a couple of times in the past and are planning on getting him in to do the carpets in our house once the workmen have finished ripping it to bits.

My emails is in my profile if you want his details.

gdm4

Try Castus Services – my brother in law has a cleaning company in the North West.

warton
    Free Member

I need to do ours, they are filthy.

so for rooms with furniture, isn’t it a total carry on?

nealglover
    Free Member

Has anyone used these machines (the hand attachment obviously) with car interiors?

They work ok on car interiors if you use the right cleaning solution.

I would charge less than the hire of the machine and a bottle of cleaning solution to do an interior shampoo though 😉

johndoh
    Free Member

We paid someone to do a whole house – it included the detergent costs and I reckon we would have spent almost as much on detergent (knowing how quick Rug Doctors get through it) as we did on having someone come in (and he did a superb job).

sharkbait
    Free Member

We bought a Vax cleaner (this one) as we can share it amongst the family. Does a very good job indeed and has already more than paid for itself (Sorry PePPeR)

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘carpet cleaning’ is closed to new replies.