Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Cargo bikes, Big Dummy etc
  • supersessions9-2
    Free Member

I'm really tempted by the Kona Ute. Would it cope with gravel tracks (sustrans route) for my commute? also anyone fitted a front mounted child seat?

thinking cyclescheme and having a useful utility bike…

ourmaninthenorth

Would it cope with gravel tracks (sustrans route) for my commute?

I'm becoming quite concerned at STW – of course it will be fine. It's a big sturdy cargo bike with wide tyres..! 😀

coastkid – that fatbike conversion is a real beaut! Got any more info or just the pic?

orena45

Supersessions – it'll be fine on Sustrans routes!

Got mine on Cyclescheme but if you do get one then make sure you get a second pannier ordered at the same time as the bike only comes with one! Mine's been on order since February but should hopefully finally be here this week!

I'm intending on getting a child seat for mine but a rack mounted one for the rear. Check out Practical Cycles for a range of child seat as they have a pretty good range.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Orena45 – is that the bike that's been on order since feb or the extra pannier?

I guessed it would be fine on sustrans routes, just wondering whether it's got enough clearance for mildly knobbly/29er tyres. Something that can cope with a bit o'rough! 😉

ourmaninthenorth

just wondering whether it's got enough clearance for mildly knobbly/29er tyres. Something that can cope with a bit o'rough

If carbon road bikes can be raced over the pavé of Northern France and Belgium, then a Kona Ute can be ridden over rough stuff..! 🙂

orena45

The pannier's on order – it seems Kona don't ship too many extra panniers to the UK so have been waiting for Kona Europe to send some over. Very much looking forward to more even weight distribution on my shopping trips!

The stock (slick) tyres that come on the Ute are pretty large by 700c standards so you could possibly get some slightly knobbly 29ers in.

coastkid
    Free Member

ourmaninthenorth – Member

Would it cope with gravel tracks (sustrans route) for my commute?

I'm becoming quite concerned at STW – of course it will be fine. It's a big sturdy cargo bike with wide tyres..!

coastkid – that fatbike conversion is a real beaut! Got any more info or just the pic?
    appears made by bango cycles…
    i just did a quick search on the fat bike forum on mtbr and found the thread with the link to the guys flickr page :o;
    check it out!
    big dumb pug

heres one of the set. shows how the rear end is done,wheel is 17mm offset like a pugsley, maybe mail the guy for info?

BigDummy
    Free Member

Presumably it's actually easier to do a long-bike with tyre clearance that big as you don't have to worry about the interface between the chainstays and the cranks and rings. Such an ace thing. 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

Cheers coastkid – have had a look at the Flickr pics: that's quite a bike.

As always, now the weather is better, my mind turns to a simple life tootling about on a cargo bike. Maybe once Jnr North is arrived and established, it will eb just the thing.

coastkid
    Free Member

i imagine a regular 73mm BB would be ok if extending a bike as long as a BD,here is the chain clearance on my pugsley with the 100mm BB and alfine hub,its about 11mm with a huge beast of a chain,be more with a 9spd chain,and the front ring could also go on the outside giving more if say for a cargo bike out back,

with a straight or flat oval extension the cranks should clear as the wheel is far enough back,maybe need a 100mm BB if continuous tubes run from BB to rear drop outs, i want one for humping firewood off the beach 😮

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Cargo bikes, Big Dummy etc’ is closed to new replies.