Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Carbon road bike seat post worthwhile?
  • davosaurusrex

A topic that’s been done to death no doubt but it’s sort of Christmas so humour me. Looking to get a bit more comfort from my aluminium Cube as I couldn’t believe the difference when I rode my brother’s carbon rose with carbon post. Current post is a Thomson nicked off a mountain bike. Takes a 31.6 post so thinking of going to a 27.2 with a USE plastic shim (which will also separate the ally from the carbon) and probably layback to allow it to flex more. Waste of time or noticeable benefit? I have about 250mm of post exposed (matron) which should give a bit of leverage.

Also any recommendations of posts available on CRC? Has to be from there as I have some vouchers. Was initially thinking £60 but that seems too low after a look. Deda superleggara job looks alright at £95

oldnpastit

Let some air out of your tires?

davosaurusrex

Already run about 90psi. Also usually run 25s and have just put some Duranos 28s on although yet to try them, hopefully tomorrow

downshep

Shimming down and going carbon will both make a slight difference. Bigger tyres, if the frame has space, would be more effective. Don’t fit a layback post, it’ll knock your positioning right out.

flange
    Free Member

Those Alloy cubes are pretty harsh regardless of tyre pressure. A decent carbon post will work although I’d be wary using a shim – my (albeit carbon) cube has just suffered a fatal crack from doing such a thing.

If you really want comfort a ti post will make a massive difference. I’ve got a Salsa one and you can see it flex. However the clamping mechanism is terrible and it recently broke, so don’t get a salsa one

davosaurusrex

I run my saddle a fair way back on an inline post so could change to a layback without changing the reach to bars or position over BB.

What’s the issue with a shim? I’m using one currently to go from 31.8 to 30.9. It extends past the top tube – seat tube junction a good 30mm and tolerances are tight so seems OK, so far at least

r1chardh
    Free Member

There’s a specialized post called a cobl-gobl that is designed to flex, but it’s pricey. Second vote for reducing tyre pressures – I weigh 72kg and run 70F 75R on 28mm tyres.

eshershore
    Free Member

I’d recommend getting a good, full carbon fibre post in your frame’s natural size. Don’t bother with the carbon shaft/alloy bonded head models, they don’t provide any real relief.

bigger the seat tube / seat post diameter, generally more harsh. the skinnier 27.2mm setups definitely flex more.

I ran a Thomson on my first road bike, a spare from my old MTB, and soon changed it when I realized how harsh it actually was.

Easton’s EC-70 is available relatively cheaply from usual on-line retailers and is well known for providing a degree of comfort / damping. they also do a EC-90 but is the same idea but with a carbon top clamp, and a big hike in price.

I just bought one off CRC for my new Giant XTC Advanced 29’er hardtail which had a very stout 30.9 Giant aluminium alloy post.

Replaced the Giant stock post with a Easton EC70 in 30.9mm and noticeable difference to comfort.

pictonroad

I changed to a full carbon layback 27.2 with a shim in my road bike from a straight eBay carbon post. Made a noticeable improvement to long ride comfort. Got mine from superstar, not sure if they still do them.

Worthwhile upgrade in my mind, also swopped to a ti rail saddle this year, every little helps.

catfishsalesco
    Free Member

A syntace hiflex post made my alu decathalon road bike a bit more comfy, expensive new though.

shermer75
    Free Member

Some good ideas here

shermer75
    Free Member

The Canyon VCLS gets a lot of good reviews

Road.cc

Bikeradar

wilburt
    Free Member

Pedal harder?

monkeyboyjc

I had a canyon vcls 2.0 on my road bike – made a massive difference on 100+ mile rides. It gave around 2mm of ‘travel’.
    However – they are expensive….. and not on crc…..

davosaurusrex

Ordered a 27.2 deda super zero with 25mm of layback and a USE shim so will see how that works.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I have the S-Works version of the post mentioned above. It’s as ugly as an ugly thing, but it seems to work.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I got the deda one. Made very little difference over an old heavy carbon wrapped alu wrapped one in terms of ride, but that wasn’t why I got it so that was ok. New wheels with nice rubber and tubes made a huge difference though.

davosaurusrex

What size was that mrblobby? I’m hoping the fact it’s much thinner and with the layback will help, will find out soon enough.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I think it was the layback 27.2. Looks good 😉

tomhoward

I know a couple of guys that use a Cobl-Goblr and they are positively evangelical about them.

As per flashy, they look bloody stupid though…

davosaurusrex

*Puts fingers in ears and ignores mrblobby* lalalalalala!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Saw this test over at bikeradar which reminded me of this thread.

whereisthurso
    Free Member

Yes if you search Google for the new split shift ergon or canyon one you’ll find an exact* replica of it on eBay for 50 quid.

*you probably won’t die but if you do its not my fault. 😀

shermer75
    Free Member

Some great info there! Interesting about the Specialized seatpost…

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Carbon road bike seat post worthwhile?’ is closed to new replies.