Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Carbon seat posts that 'flex'
  • Teetosugars
    Free Member

Ok, daft question, on my Vaya I currently run a Thomson Seat post, but thinking of doing some much longer rides over the summer..
    So, would a carbon seat post offer anymore comfort?
    Or I’m I just being daft thinking that?

somouk
    Free Member

A lot of people do say that it will take away some trail buzz but I can’t see it making it much more comfortable if you’re riding off road.

Maybe a suspension post if they still exist?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I think ti is the material of choice.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chief9000
    Free Member

Not sure how much it will help on the trail but I just swapped my al road seatpost for a carbon one (also seat with carbon rails) and its made the ride a great deal more comfortable.

I would say seat first make sure you have springy rails.

scotroutes

I have an old Specialized seatpost on my Amazon with the Zertz gel thing in it. Seems to work for me (but then I’ve never understood the love for Thomson seatposts)

househusband
    Free Member

Makes a huge difference, especially if it’s a narrower 27.2 post!

Crell
    Free Member

Lots of rave reviews of the canyon VCLS carbon road post that does exactly what you want (as long as it’s available in your required diameter of course).

Definitely worth a look but NOT cheap (about £180 IIRC).

dirtydog
    Free Member

I run a Easton EC70 on my Maxlight and it makes a big difference (you can see it flexing) however its only 26.8.

Have a look at Syntace they do one thats designed to flex fore and aft.

here http://www.syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=3&pk=2033

tang
    Free Member

Niner posts are made by syntace. Spesh are doing some crazy looking new post also. I’ve got an old pave post on the pro. 6 very nice ride.

nuke

My 27.2mm easton ec70 with about 25mm layback run on a shimmed 31.6mm seat tube is fair comfier/forgiving than the alloy 31.6mm inline dropper post that was in there previously

HermanShake
    Free Member

I use a 27.2 carbon Profile layback post (STW classified bargin!) on my road bike and it’s a hell of a lot more comfy than any aluminium alternatives I’ve perched on. I think the layback adds a bit of leverage, a riding buddy said he’s seen it flex when I’ve been unleashing the weasel on the flat 😯

Make sure you don’t get a ‘carbon wrapped’ if you go carbon rather than ti.

Andy

27.2 EC70 on both Ti hardtail and Croix de Fer. Lot more comfy than equiv Thomson. Ti hardtail has a long post and people riding behind me say they can see it twang backwards and forwards whilst I’m riding along.

TiRed

Easton EC70 layback with a Flite Ti will give about a cm of flex on my 27.2 mm post. Very noticeable off road.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Syntace P6 hi-flex is designed exactly for what you describe and it does work.
    Ergon/Canyon VCLS is more noticeable though, but designed for road bikes at the moment. I have used the Ergon post on my CX bike for a few months without a problem though.

Northwind

I’ve never felt any difference tbh- dropper posts, massive lumps of cheap alu, weighs-nothing carbon… Must be a drop in the bucket compared to saddle and tyres surely?

JoeG
    Free Member
    schmiken

On a Vaya I doubt you’ll notice any difference at all.

Andy

Don’t notice it much on the CDF – the carbon seatpost was all I had in the shed when doing the build, but on the Ti hardtail with 260mm of a 400mm 27.2mm post showing I do notice it. Suspect on a thicker post the effect would be much less.

br
    Free Member

Makes a huge difference, especially if it’s a narrower 27.2 post!

Agree. I ran an I-Beam one in my Ti HT for a few years, you could see it flex not just feel it. Really comfy.

Might be worth running a 27.2 and shimming out if you need to.

P20

I’ve got a Cranks Bros Cobalt 11 post on my full suss. It visibly flexes, bit of a surprise given it’s 34.9mm! Obviously can’t comment on its ride quality though

Dibbs
    Free Member

+1 on the 27.2 EC70.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Comfortable seat post! LOL! More Scotch mist from the bike industry BS machine to get us to buy more kit.

globalti
    Free Member

Yes a carbon post or rigid carbon forks are a very worthwhile upgrade for any bike.

ton

slightly bigger tyres will go a longer and cheaper way to adding comfort.

rocketman
    Free Member

Have got Race Face and Easton carbon seatposts on two bikes 31.6 they don’t flex. Also some old 31.6 Syncros/USE/Pro Lite posts in a box they don’t flex either.

The only time I ever noticed any flex was when using a 27.2 Thomson post with a 31.6 shim. That was bad flex I could feel it moving with every push of the pedals awful

shedbrewed
    Free Member

I would have thought the more seat post you have proud of the seat tube the more flex you are going to obtain.
    Likewise the smaller diameter the post itself will give more flex.
    Also the thickness of the wall and material itself?
    Looking at the bikes/spares I have there are 3 carbon posts none of which were more than £25- a 27.2mm Bontrager Race X-lite copy that takes road buzz out but doesn’t flex much.
    A 31.6mm Ribble/CSN that’s stiff as can be.
    The most flexy is a Token fibreglass/carbon post in 27.2mm.

Non-carbon I’ve an I-beam that’s very comfy with an alloy post, and a ti van nich post on the road bike that’s quite stiff.

lovewookie

that ergon one, I can see how it flexes, sorta, but the post is split, meaning to adjust saddle nose/tail position you undo the seat QR and adjust. does this then mean that when done up the two halves are trying to move against each other as they flex? and that in reality you’ve only got half the post against the inside of the frame and the ‘inside’ bit on a slip plane?

in carbon.

in mud.

this makes me nervous.

nice concept though.

julianwilson
    Free Member

How much seatpost will you have showing OP?
    I have a 27.2 post which at 350mm and about 220mm of actual carbon shaft showing means you can see it flex a tiny bit just sitting on the bike. However: steel bike, curvy seatstays and 2.1″ tyres at 40psi probably make more of a difference than flex in post.
    Wife has a 31.6mm post on her road bike with about 100mm showing, I reckon that makes a whole heap less difference to hers!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

How much seatpost will you have showing OP?

A fair bit to be fair..

Not sure this pic shows this that well tho’..

jairaj

I used to run a rigid mountain bike and found large volume tyres were more beneficial to comfort.

But the Carbon Cycles post is a good choice, has some flex for comfort, good weight and great price.

[/url]

bonchance
    Free Member

I also had an ec70 on a uber-stiff CAAD4

Only reason I kept riding that bike!

I also read somewhere that the ‘floppiness’ increases with time. With hockey sticks (Easton’s other big play) it’s a preferred characteristic, but does mean they are at the end of life..(!)

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Carbon seat posts that 'flex'’ is closed to new replies.