Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • carbon or alloy
  • gerryberry
    Free Member

The variables in manufacturing technique between manufacturers are huge, so It’s probably a bit simplistic to make sweeping judgments about any material really – best to test ride a few bikes you like and take it from there.

Surely a test ride is not going to give away any secrets as to the manufacturing techniques used on the frame? I’d stick to proper metal… steel.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Surely a test ride is not going to give away any secrets as to the manufacturing techniques used on the frame? I’d stick to proper metal… steel.

Always good to hear the view of people who have an open mind on things like this 😉

A test ride will tell you how stiff the frame is, what the feel of the ride is and all that. You don’t need to know how it was made but the impact of how it is made can be understood by riding it.

discoduck
    Free Member

I think if you test ride a carbon framed bike back to back with an Alu framed version there’s no doubt that you will go carbon, I bobbed some RF SIXC bars on my steed about 2 years ago and the benefits were instant, although riding a pair of Fox 36 VAN RC2’s the carbon bars to the buzz out of the trail.

I’ve ridden higher end Santa Cruz back to back and the carbon versions just sit up to pedal input, as others have said they are snappier and respond well,

I’m still of the opinion though that Carbon is for the elite, like in F1 cars it’s fine for Lewis Hamilton because he doesent pick up the repair bill.
    Like Contadores spesh, it won’t be comming out of his pocket because it got mangled on the roof rack.

If it’s your 9 till 5 profession then there’s a benefit to having carbon, but they aren’t used for 2 to 5 years in the hands of a pro they probably do that many weeks in fact days ?

Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘carbon or alloy’ is closed to new replies.