Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 113 total)
  • Cotic soul 275
  • edoverheels
    Free Member

Generally Cotics are lovely but that black and red one is horrible. Sorry for being such a grumpy old man

forge197
    Free Member

Ready for it’s first ride tomorrow

Lost much fitness since last summer and wanted to keep 1×10 added this to help 🙂

NormalMan

Lovely bike forge197.

nowthen
    Free Member

You need to put a bit more tape, you missed a couple of tubes

jonnyrockymountain

My first ride today NICE!

forge197
    Free Member

Thanks Normal Man

Nowthen – you might be right, I’ll check 😉 I did it so it matched each side 😳 🙂

jonny rocky mountain – how was it and what did you ride before?

honourablegeorge

forge197 – Member
    Thanks Normal Man

Nowthen – you might be right, I’ll check I did it so it matched each side

The drive side chainstay generally gets more of a battering form the chain that the non-driveside one.

jonnyrockymountain

Forge197
    It was nice! Just need to give it a few more rides and get my set up spot on before 100% comments! I have rode in the last couple of years ti 456 (really really really nice) asr5 ok, 29er scandal (nice), cannondale prophet (really nice), ST4 (really nice), Carbon 456 (ok, too stiff), so I’ll keep you informed on how I go with the soul but so far so good, my main hope is for it to be as good as if not better than my ti 456, as the only reason I sold it was to move wheel size!!!

forge197
    Free Member

Thanks JRM – I sold on my 29er Scandal for the Soul, I also had a 456 Carbon a few years ok that is one stiff bike fun though I thought.

I’ll see the soul rides tomorrow riding around a flat small garden didn’t tell me much!!.

svalgis
    Free Member

my main hope is for it to be as good as if not better than my ti 456, as the only reason I sold it was to move wheel size!!!

forge197
    Free Member

First ride today, good fun, it feels very much like a Prince Albert that I had many years ok, but with a little more stability and comfort, carries speed well, handles nicely very pleased now to see where I fancy riding tomorrow.

NormalMan

Is the blue one a 275 or 26?

If the latter, how did they compare?

No wheel size debate intended, I care about my cat too much 😉

forge197
    Free Member

Both 275, and it’s still great today 🙂

NormalMan

Cool. Thanks. Great pic.

I’m so tempted with one of these.

forge197
    Free Member

Thanks Normal Man, I don’t think you’d be disappointed had a fair few different hard tails, Dialled Alpine, Prince Albert’s, Carbon 456 and this seems to take all the best bits I liked from those and have it in one bike.

It feels very stable, rolls well and carries speed wheel though corners and over obstacles. It’s certainly more nimble and fun to ride than my 29er Scandal which it replaces.

Look forward to next weekend now….

NormalMan

Thanks. Can I ask the usual, how tall you are, what size frame, stem length, etc?

I didn’t get to call Paul (@Cotic) back on Friday but will do first thing tomorrow.

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

I’m confuddled by all that tape?

So it stays nice and shiney underneath? Which doesn’t really make much sense

Or so you can pull it off and sell it still shiney?

forge197
    Free Member

I’ve a small frame size, 50mm stem, 740mm wide bars 10mm rise and I’m 163cmish tall,

NormalMan

Right. I’m really on the edge of medium and large but think the smaller size will suit the type of riding I’m looking for on the bike.

I will go complete build but swap out for fatbar lites and even have a black/orange charge spoon in ‘stock’ so looking ok there. Pedals will be my usual fav, Nukeproof electrons.

Thanks for the feedback.

BTW, currently I have a carve expert 29er and a camber fs 26er. Just really looking for a steel ht fun bike that could do longer rides too. Plus ideal bike for shooting my son’s GCSE PE mtbing vid as he can borrow the Camber rather than his modded Hardrock if he wishes.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Me too, I never understand preventing a little bit of rubbing that doesn’t even look all that bad in person, close up, by covering the frame in tape that looks terrible even from a distance, in a photo.
    Presumably it’s the prospective resale thing.

forge197
    Free Member

Me too, I never understand preventing a little bit of rubbing that doesn’t even look all that bad in person, close up, by covering the frame in tape that looks terrible even from a distance, in a photo.
    Presumably it’s the prospective resale thing.

I don’t like the rub marks that shoes can leave, but then I am not looking at the tape when riding 🙂 and it does mean it stays in fairly good shape should I want to sell it sometime in the future.

chiefgrooveguru

My Soul is gloriously orange and unprotected (bar the Cotic branded neoprene chainstay protector) with a varied selection of missing bits of paints – though ironically very few visible marks where you’ve taped! 😉 When I washed it for the first time in months I found a surprising amount of chips around the BB and bottom of the down tube – rock roost?!

forge197
    Free Member

Goes out to tape up BB and bottom of down tube…………… 😉

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Forge197 you should contact http://www.invisiframe.co.uk/ they have done a Cotic Soul kit for both 26 and 27.5, really nice, cut-aways for cable bosses for top tube and seat stays etc.

Anyway the Soul 27.5!
    Took the 27.5 (the horrible black and red bike) for a ride Sunday over Tunnel hill area, and I really liked it, still a fun, flick-able, bike like a 26 but I did feel it rolled better over roots etc. easy to pop off things, get/keep the front wheel up and still easy to pump the trail, holds speed It handled Tarts drop, drop in surgery with easy (just like the soul 26)

Today (Monday) I rode my local trails (Erlestoke) with a couple of others and swapped between the Soul 27.5 and a Solaris (both large)riding some of the same trails on both bikes. I rode a the Solaris mostly as the other guy was enjoying riding the 27.5, (he rides a 29″ normally and is over 6ft)
    It confirmed I not that fussed on 29″ bikes, the ones I ridden in the past are nice but found it doesn’t suit my riding style and type of riding I mainly do (and height) just found I had to easy off and wait for the bike to turn in corners (if that makes sense) I also found it hard to get the front wheel up and hold it up. but I it did roll over things well and maybe a little more grip when you get the thing lent over.

forge197
    Free Member

Thanks MTB Rob will take a look, nice little write up 🙂

NormalMan

Good overview. Sounds like what I’m looking for!

Nothing against my 29er either. I’d just like to do the steel HT thing again but this time lighter than my previous one! (Kona Blink @ 33lb)

forge197
    Free Member

Normal Man mines 28lbs with a cheap heavy wheelset and dropper post, reckon 25/26 is doable with some choice parts if that’s your want 🙂

NormalMan

Thanks forge.
    Sounds ideal. If I could hit 26 or just under then happy days.

I’ve left a message for Paul, so just waiting on a ring back now.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Yeah the 27.5 with pikes (140), droper post, hope arch, XT groupset, hope brakes, USE bars/stem more set up for hard hitting trail riding came in at 27.53lb (12.49kg) and the soul 26 with X fusion 140 forks DLA, slx gropset, xt brake XLC bars/stem/post came in at 27.38 (12.42kg)

I do know of souls coming in at 24lb/25lb with more xc style kit (sorter travel forks/wheel etc)

NormalMan

Sounds promising Rob.
    Do you work for Cotic?

I would go for, as mentioned before, complete build then swap out bars, saddle, grips, seat collar. Then add my fav pedals / bottle cage. Then go ride!

NormalMan

Just another thought / question @ Rob.

How tall are you? As you mentioned a large frame.

I am looking at a medium, although my 29er is a 19″. Ride / reach is fine but standover could be better. Plus aesthetically the front end just looks too high.

Now I’m thinking also a Solaris in medium might be worth considering too.

Any idea of weight difference? My Carve, with minimal changes, is 26.5 lb.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

HI Normal Man,

No I don’t work for Cotic, but I do sell them, so most would say I got a invested interest etc. 🙂
    BUT I have/ridden Cotic’s some new(at full RRP) some 2nd hand and also knowing Kate and Ian Potter at AQR who do a lot of testing for Cotic, before Starting FTR & selling them, so it is a product I really believe in!

I am 5’11, I have riding the medium 29″ before and didn’t get on with the size as I like a longish TT. I found stand over is fine on large.

The Med Solaris, XT Fox forks, Halo wheels (no pedals)26.70lb (12.11kg)

Large Solaris Xt, X fusion Slide forks, Acrh wheels (no Pedals) 27.86lb 12.60KG

If you can get yourself to Wiltshire this week before end of Sunday I still have the medium and Large Solaris that can be tested as well and the new Soul 27.5.
    The Solaris have to be back next week as Cotic are doing some sort of event on the 7th of June.

NormalMan

Rob, thanks for the info. Very helpful.

I’m 5’11” (and a half!) I was aiming for a medium Soul 275 and Paul seemed to agree. It is for messing in the woods but also some longer rides, etc.

If I go with the Soul 275, my first choice bar the long wait (long to me as I’m impatient lol), then I’d keep my Carve for family rides / tow path stuff and maybe even a bikepacking trip.

I’ve got a busy week so don’t think I’ll get to you but thanks for the offer.

TimCotic
    Free Member

Sooo….anyone weighed a medium 27.5 frame yet?
    Also – Yes, it was a Sherwood Pines demo day with the Potters and Paul (wheelie & endo God) that decided me and my bruv on our Souls a few years back. We just hoped some of their skills and general Coolness would rub off on us LOL.
    Ashamed to admit that I’m an old soft git and I’ve been on a full-sus and a Ti 29er hardtail recently, but I’m keen to try the new Soul. My Ti Salsa is real scarey downhill if there are any bumpy bits.
    When is this Earlstoke demo?

NormalMan

Can’t help with that Tim but can add I did order one. 8 weeks approx wait, which is already killing me! (yes, such a first world problem!)

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Tim the Elrestoke demo has been and passed.
    BUT we (Finely Tuned Ride) do have a large soul 27.5 that can be demoed

antop34

mine arrived this week from 18bikes (thanks guys) slowly building up hopefully ready for the weekend. It is medium, and im 5’9” and just sitting on it feels very comfortable with a short stem. Will post pics and weight when done

antop34

Some pics of my finished Cotic 275 build. Its a medium and im 5’9 and it seems little large, but for what I want it is perfect.
    Riding it in anger this weekend – but first signs are brilliant!

NormalMan

Look forward to reading your first ride feedback.

Hope you can get the pics working.

I’m pleased to hear the medium sounds like it comes up bigger (from my point of view / height) as it was a slight concern. My dad is 5’9 and my son (14) 5’10 and they ride a 17″ KHS and 17.5″ Spesh respectively. Both
    bikes are 26ers but feel too small for me.

antop34
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘Cotic soul 275’ is closed to new replies.