Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Carbon or Ali for endurance ride?!?
  • matada34
    Free Member

Hi,

Im new to the forum so excuse me if this is covered elsewhere.. maybe theres a link to other info?!

Anyway, im looking to buy a road bike for a potential lands end to john agroats, I usually mountain bike so im new to the road biking scene.
    Lots of different advice has been given, mainly that if I get into it I will wish id bought Carbon as its a comfier ride and lighter! I was looking at the Specialized Roubaix, either the Sport or the one down, more interested in the sport though as it has some 105 components on it but also the one down as its cheaper!

My other option is the Wilier triestina – looks a great bike and has full 105, ali frame and carbon forks, I can get one for £1000.

Any reccomendations you have would be greatly appreciated, im getting a bit fed up and need to purchase! Ideally I didnt want to spend more than £1000.

Thanks for looking, Matt

xiphon
    Free Member

For LEJOG, consider something with full mudguards and a comfy riding position for long journeys.

A lightweight carbon race geo bike might not be what you’re after….

Considered a steel one?

andyl
    Free Member

I would be thinking steel or titanium but budget wise that’s probably going to a no-go unless you pick up a 2nd hand frame.

Mud guards are a good idea (but you can get ones that fit without eyelets) and you might want a carbon or Ti seatpost to soften the ride a bit and spend a bit of money on a comfy saddle (again consider Ti or carbon rails).

Fit is the most important bit and even with changing stems, bars etc if the frames just not right for you/what you want to do then it’s going to be 100 worse on a long ride than a quick blast around where you live.

mrmo
    Free Member

walk into a shop, buy something that fits, fit a decent saddle and tyres they matter far more than the frame. Oh and carbon forks.

madxela
    Free Member

I rode race around ireland a couple of years ago (6 hrs a day four days in a row over pretty variable roads!)

I had cannondale aluminium frame and forks, with carbon seatpost and double thick handlebar tape, and super padded gloves.

the right answer would have been carbon forks as a minimum on Alu frame. (my buddies on carbon had no issues, but two of us on Alu frames did feel the vibration!)

Tyres – can’t go wrong with conti GP 4000’s – bombproof.

Otherwise see advice above

andyl
    Free Member

missed a point in my post above which was to not worry so much about frame material and look at the seat post, saddle etc when you have a frame that fits and feels good. Carbon forks are a must and tbh I had not even thought you would go otherwise but definitely good to point out.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Carbon or Ali for endurance ride?!?’ is closed to new replies.