Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Carbon Hardtail, apologies but it's what bike :)
  • sam1176uk
    Free Member

Hi, looking to buy a carbon hardtail after a few years of road/cyclocross riding, looking to take on some more difficult terrain that i can on my cx bike, but still like the light/fast side of riding.
    I’ve decided on a carbon hardtail and have narrowed it down to 4 bikes that i like, they all have strengths and weaknesses, i’m just looking for some opinions from people more used to mtb riding than i currently am:
    http://www.ukbikesdepot.com/m15b0s864p16925/MOUNTAIN_BIKES/27_5_inch_HARDTAIL/SARACEN_Mantra_Trail_Carbon_Front_Suspension_Mountain_Bike_2016

https://www.merlincycles.com/yeti-arc-carbon-mountain-bike-29er-x9-87906.html

https://www.merlincycles.com/sensa-fiori-sfb-ltd-carbon-mountain-bike-75655.html

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s182p5510/GIANT-XTC-ADVANCED-27-5-4-2014

Any input at all would be much appreciated.

Thanks

mboy
    Free Member

That’s quite an eclectic list, with wildly varying prices and specs!

Looks like you’ve chosen it based upon only what you can find with an enormous discount on it, regardless of purpose, size, spec etc…

I’d say decide on s budget, then find a load of bikes that come in around that mark whether they’re on sale or not, then buy the one you like the look of the most and/or the one that you think will meet your needs best.

Your local bike shop will be able to assist im sure, especially as you don’t seem to know what you want from the bike.

sam1176uk
    Free Member

They’re all around the same price, barring the Yeti, not sure if it it worth the extra. Yes they are all discounted, i’m not too fussy on the looks so i just picked the best looking deals for carbon hardtail..
    They are all available in my size.

DanW
    Free Member

Besides wildly different, price, fit, geometry, weight, wheel size, reputation, warranty, etc, etc, it is a pretty homogenous list 😉

Not all CF frames are light. Not all are designed for fast XC type riding. Not all are actually any better than a bike of other material that fit you and your rides. Of all the criteria to pick a bike on “a CF frame” is probably last on the list.

Your local bike shop will be able to assist im sure, especially as you don’t seem to know what you want from the bike.

Probably the best advice.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Get down your LBS and see what they’ll let you take for a spin. Or try and find a shop that’s doing a demo day.

sam1176uk
    Free Member

I visited 3 lbs on Thurs/Fri and none of them had any carbon hardtails in stock, therefore i had a look online for any good deals last night.
    They are all around the same price, barring the Yeti, and are all available in my size.

If anyone has any advice on the mentioned specs/weight/wheel size etc to help then that would be appreciated.

treklee
    Free Member

What do you want the ride?

taxi25
    Free Member

The Yeti is by far the nicest bike IMHO. For fast trail riding the 120mm fork is a plus for me. Put a dropper on it and its my kind of bike.

sam1176uk
    Free Member

What do you want the ride?

?

sam1176uk
    Free Member

The Yeti is by far the nicest bike IMHO. For fast trail riding the 120mm fork is a plus for me. Put a dropper on it and its my kind of bike.

Nice bike, is it “better” than the Giant etc?

taxi25
    Free Member

Nobody can tell you whats better for you. It’s the nicest bike thats all. It’s the one I would buy if it was in budget.

eshershore
    Free Member

Nice bike, is it “better” than the Giant etc?

probably not, in terms of carbon fibre manufacturing Giant are top dogs, many “brands” like Yeti are design/marketing companies using subcontractors to build their frames.

but of course I’m biased as hell, as I ride an XTC 😉

sam1176uk
    Free Member

What’s your xtc like and what kind of riding is it good for?

TheGingerOne

I conversely have the Yeti and think it is awesome. Great fun to ride and not just a race machine. Expensive yes, but I thought and still think it was worth it. Ciped with a week with BasqueMTB just fine as well as being great from the South Downs to Llandegla black via the Chilterns, Exmoor, Dartmoor and Long Mynd etc. Hell, I even rode it up Snowden 🙂

DanW
    Free Member

OK, for balance, the Giant has a pretty “old school” geometry, weird proprietary junk like the steerer size and a wheel size suited to the more midgety types

The Sensa is almost unknown here in the UK, probably an open mold frame with better spec and the geometry/ fit is a mystery. Again prefect wheel size if petite

The Saracen is an average spec, more “trail” geometry (where the smaller wheels are clearly acceptable) but every where you go people will say “mate, ur bike iz well sarasin”!

The Yeti is a nicer bike and will handle everything from bimbling to racing to trail mincing but at double price… and will probably crack

That is the probably most of the negative stuff you could expect to hear on STW so I thought I’d get that out of the way for you 🙂

Personally I’d be looking at the Scott Scale, Cannondale F-Si, Trek Superfly ranges

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

I love my 2015 xtc, but it’s the sl version so can’t comment on that one. All I would say are Giant always spec crap tyres so would swap them straight away! For a lower budget I couldn’t get past the brilliant Trek superfly. Seen some great deals on 2015 models.

sam1176uk
    Free Member

Good to hear from a Yeti and Giant owner, interesting about the Yeti frame cracking!
    I’m 6ft tall and assumed 27.5 or 29 wheels would both be fine, haven’t heard any complaints from taller riders on 27.5..

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Look at Rose and Canyon too

DanW
    Free Member

I was being largely tongue in cheek and trying to get any negativity out of the way for you 😉

You won’t find any negativity on any of the Scott Scale/ Cannondale F-Si (maybe just “Leftys are sh1t)/ Trek Superfly options though and they are pretty solid choices for almost anyone looking for a wheels on the ground type hardtail. Just get as good a spec as possible within your budget and make sure it fits really. Even the Alu versions are a decent option compared to your original list IMO

Look at Canyon if you don’t mind waiting an age to get a bike in your hands. Rose are ok but going down that route I’d say Radon (eg the Black Sin) are fantastic value too and worth more of a look.

adsh
    Free Member

I’d consider a Whyte 29C and not go too ott on budget for a first HT. You may decide on something different after a few miles under your wheels.

TheGingerOne

No reports of cracking with the ArcC as far as I am aware and the Yeti warranty is longer than it used to be. I certainly do more with mine and ride it harder than you would normally a lightweight carbon hardtail frame – in my opinion. As a 29er it is surprisingly capable.
    Ultimately though, it depends on what you want out of the bike and need to choose based on the geometry, build kit and fit as well as whete you sit on the pimp factor scale. I don’t think the Yeti compares at all similarly with your other suggestions.

fudge9202
    Free Member

As stated previously wildly varying specs and prices, firstly consider where you intend to ride and don’t discount the possibility of taking in days at trail centres further afield, for those reasons I’d not discount looking at some really good full suss bikes that might suit you.

xcracer1
    Free Member

For around £1600 id go for either a canyon cf hardtail, giant xtc carbon hardtail or maybe a cube.

TheGingerOne

The build on that Yeti really does not do the frame justice in my opinion, even at that price!

danti

And to just throw in another option why settle for Carbon when you could have Titanium for less than the Yeti with a Titus Fireline from On One.

sam1176uk
    Free Member

Thanks, I would be looking to do the odd day on the trails at some point in the future, but the majority will be xc, so wld prefer to go for a carbon ht.
    Yes the Yeti is nice but not sure it’s worth double the money of the others.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

Don’t overlook the Cube Reaction frames.

mick_r

If you visit Merlin then they have a few Yetis and Sensas built up to spin round the car park (ring them – not sure what sizes). One of the Yetis was built with sram 1×11 and Crest wheels – felt very light in the “pick up in the showroom” test.

We’re keeping an eye open as eldest lad is rapidly outgrowing current bike and will need a race 29er – I can vouch for very few places with showroom stock. Cube seem good for price/spec/weight in UK. Kicking ourselves that we didn’t grab him a Reaction GTC in sale last year (carbon frame, RS1 carbon fork, full XT, DT Swiss wheels for £1500 at Wheelbase) Our favourite local shop stocks Giant but not a fan of the 29er geo or rear mud clearance. Lapierre 29er looks OK. Otherwise Scott, Cannondale, Canyon, Rose etc.

sam1176uk
    Free Member

Merlin is too far away for me to visit unfortunately, how did the Sensa bikes lookin the flesh?

mick_r

They’ve done Sensa for a couple of years – quality and matt finish look good. Weight was OK but not super light – you could ask them to weigh it and the Yeti to compare (suspect Sensa wheels / chunky XT 11-40 cassette hit the weight at that price).

Yeti looked awful with riser bars, high stem and a pile of spacers. But weight was impressive 🙂

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

If coming from a CX bike I’d think you’ll prefer the easy rolling speed of a 29er.
    My favourite of those bikes is the yeti but I’ve still got an old aluminium XTC and it’s been great.i also have a carbon Giant road bike, and frame quality is superb.
    As suggested above carbon does not necessarily a light bike make and you pay a big premium.
    My Boardman Pro 29er has a better component spec than most of those listed and cost me £900.

Caher

+1 Boardman. Love it.

skids
    Free Member

The xtc advanced is a good price at 900, the one up with the Reba is decent value also

premier
    Free Member

I had s Sensa on loan for a few months, great bike – really enjoyed thrashing it about, not risen the others so can’t make a comparion but I’d reccomend

ctk
    Free Member

Coming from a cx bike a 29er makes sense.

sam1176uk
    Free Member

Does a 29er make more sense coming from a CX bike because it is the most similar? I will be keeping the cx bike also, so don’t want anything that’s going to perform too closely.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Carbon Hardtail, apologies but it's what bike :)’ is closed to new replies.