Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Carbon frames
  • bruders338
    Free Member

May sound like a silly question but are carbon frame really any good. I see that there be super light and strong but are they not fragile ie if you was to fall off won’t the carbon just smash.

Reason I ask been looking at a lot of bikes lately and really like the ex8 but also came across the Scott spark and genius which some are in carbon. Is it worth spending the extra for the Scott or stay with the ex8.

Thanks Lewis

Rorschach
    Free Member

Yes.
    Depends.
    No.
    Maybe.

organic355
    Free Member

vinnyeh

Let’s turn the question around, and ask a few more.

What makes you think that carbon might be more fragile, and that the frames might not be any good? Are the trails round you littered with broken carbon?

Why would more and more manufacturers be building frames from the material if it was so frail? Wouldn’t the forums be groaning under the weight of posts complaining about broken frames? Would manufacturers be bankrupt from warranty replacements?

iainc

ah, but if you put it in a roof carrier or a bike stand clamp it will be instantly crushed 😆

donsimon
    Free Member

ah, but if you put it in a roof carrier or a bike stand clamp it will be instantly crushed

Only if you overtighten the clamp.
    I have a carbon frame and don’t even think about it, the sound of rocks hitting the down tube is a bit strange, but not in a negative way.

jimw
    Free Member

I have had 3 carbon frames- they all broke near suspension stress points, not through impact damage, and I did have quite a few offs in that period. They were made in 2006, 2007 and 2008. I personally would be wary of carbon full suss bikes of that era after my experiences. Carbon hardtails seem more sensible to me, but having said that amongst the group I go cycling with there are two Giant NRS composite bikes from 2004 I think still going strong with no issues even after three or four trips to the Alps.

Others have Scott carbon frames that seem great and have no problems.

bruders338
    Free Member

I understand That carbon is strong and one of the best products to buy. But my major problem is falling off and everyone does it from time to time is it now that carbon become rubbish and just breaks under impact of hitting something.

I like the idea of having a carbon bike but don’t want to spend all that money on something for it to fracture break etc etc in only a few months time.. Compared to an alloy frame

jimw
    Free Member

Trek frames have lifetime warranty for first owner. So do some other manufacturers. Most of the new frames have impact protection built in to guard against stones etc. When I have come off in the past I find that it is bars/pedals/cranks/saddle/wheels that take the majority of impacts anyway. I fall off quite often (ambition over ability) and I have yet to dent an alloy frame or crack the carbon frames when I had them.

Rorschach
    Free Member

‘I understand That carbon is strong and one of the best products to buy’ 😯
    ‘carbon become rubbish and just breaks under impact’ 😯 😯
    ‘something for it to fracture break etc etc in only a few months time.. Compared to an alloy frame ‘ 😯 😯 😯
    Eh?

donsimon
    Free Member

I like the idea of having a carbon bike but don’t want to spend all that money on something for it to fracture break etc etc in only a few months time.. Compared to an alloy frame

I seriously wouldn’t bother with carbon, you’ll spend all your time worrying and riding like a mincer, you won’t enjoy your riding.
    Stick with aluminium and just for the record I’ve had two aluminium frame failures against zero carbon failures.

jambalaya
    Free Member

To be upfront I’ve no experience of carbon in bikes but based on my yachting experience (where carbon is used in masts for example vs more traditional aluminium) I’d be uncomfortable with a carbon bike frame.

Carbon is very strong until it’s compromised then it disintegrates. It’s not hard to imagine a few rocks or a crash, particularly into something hard, compromising the frame. Also there is big variation in modulus (ie fibre density) so not all “carbon” is equal. High modulus is super strong but very expensive, the price of carbon has sky rocketed due to price of oil and lots of demand from the military.

donsimon
    Free Member

It’s not hard to imagine a few rocks or a crash, particularly into something hard, compromising the frame

Which hard crash scenario do you have in mind that will compromise a carbon frame yet would leave an aluminium or steel frame in perfect condition?
    Equally on price, as with everything, you gets what you pays for.

druidh
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member
    To be upfront I’ve no experience of carbon in bikes

It shows

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Friend of mine has a Lotus carbon superbike bought back in the early nineties when carbon really was black plastic magic, lasted him only 17 years. Even then, it was just a small crack that appeared in 2009, it wasn’t a major failure. Back in the 1990’s he was sponsored by AireValleyCycles and like they did back then, used it for DH, trials, 4X and XC.
    He’s since had a alu Giant Reign last 18months and a alu heavy duty 35lb Kona Coiler Magiclink bike last 6 months (warranty replaced). The Lotus was crashed repeatedly and he’s one of the few people I know who actually takes a bike to it’s limit.

story about it here

b-a-c-o-n
    Free Member

I’ve had a carbon Genius and a Yeti 575 and snapped both….but they were both replaced without any quibble at all….so I’ll continue to buy carbon . Simple as.

bruders338
    Free Member

So you have the same kind of warranties on carbon frame as well as the alloy..
    Or are they just for a standard year?

Worth getting if like already said about the trek having a lifetime warranty on first purchase.

Milkie
    Free Member

It comes down to what you think.. If you think carbon isn’t as strong, do you want to be constantly wincing when a rock hits your carbon frame..

I know my friend is going for a metal frame next time for peace of mind, he’s constantly worrying about the carbon, even though it/he has proved it is damn tough. That’s his opinion, not to be confused with mine or fact. 😉

Ex8 vs Scott Genius – Two quite different bikes, ride both and make a decision.

donsimon
    Free Member

So you have the same kind of warranties on carbon frame as well as the alloy..

Orbea has a lifetime warranty, I believe.

specialknees
    Free Member

I feel I’m suitably qualified to answer this one.
    I’m a compulsive frame swapper. In my time I must have had 20 frames Carbon, Steel, Alloy, Ive tried them all. I have broken carbon and Alloy frames, stress fractures happen on either material, more so on Alloy in my experience. Crash damage is another thing altogether. I dented my (Alloy) Santa Cruz Superlight on its first outing, a rock threw up under the bike and dented the downtube. OK it was a bit of a freak incident but I have knocked several carbon frames and never damaged one. Im sure a Carbon one would have just bounced it-off.
    I wouldn’t worry, if its going to get damaged its going to be something pretty major. Carbon or Alloy has its limits. Carbon is no worse than Alloy in most situations and better in some.
    Carbon looks better.
    Finish is more durable.
    Its lighter.
    It looks better.

GO CARBON, its the Future.!

scaredypants

The thing nobody tells you is the tiny fibres, slowly making their way to your heart. That’s why they give lifetime warranties – THEY’RE KILLING YOU EARLY !!!!

compositepro
    Free Member

B.a.nana did your mate get it fixed.the lotud

XCwhippet
    Free Member

OMG a Lotus, I used to dribble over them as a kid.

Surely if you hit anything hard enough it will go wrong. I can remember the exact same things being said about alloy when it was the new thing. Indeed to start with some frames (Cannondales come to mind) seemingly folded faster than a sheet of paper. Look at the price, if it’s bargain basement to start off then concerns should be raised. If the original price was sky high, it should be good. The same with alloy, ti and steel.

Light, strong, cheap, choose two!

IME, yes I did mince abit on both my carbon frames (road and MTB) however as no damage was visible I stopped worrying. Now I am more concerned about the paint being scratched than the material being compromised. They both just get hammered as I try to stay up right.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Carbon is a great material.

I’m fed up of breaking it though.

Gone back to Aluminum for cheapness.

rickmeister

I have a carbon fs mojo. I ummed and ahhhed over this very question before. I weigh 100kg, used the mojo for usual duties in Scotland and trail centres, freeride in Finale Ligura where mine and Oranginas bike were really battered over a week.. alps etc etc.

I just ride it and enjoy it… and would have another straight away..

Your call.

aP
    Free Member

Haha – Chris H-J was a friend’s flatmate in town when he was designing that Lotus frame in 92ish.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

B.a.nana did your mate get it fixed.the lotud

No, I don’t think it will get fixed, it’s probably not a particularly great ride compared to modern bikes. It cost a small fortune in 1993, I expect it’s just hanging on his garage wall now, should be in a bike museum IMO.

rucknar
    Free Member

I had a carbon frame Trek Elite 9.8, had a small bump with it and Trek were not interested. Only cracks that are not due to any impact at all are covered.

I found myself shying away from drop offs etc as i was worried about cracking it. Around town the think was lightning fast as it was so light but i’m happier on Alu/Steel to be honest.

thepodge
    Free Member

I use carbon to protect my aluminium frame.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Carbon frames’ is closed to new replies.