Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Carbon Frame Build No.3
  • oliverracing

So the build continues…

To get the geometry right I have fully dimensioned up the assembly drawing so I could really on measurements as well as angles.

I built a jig to clamp the forks, bb and dropouts into, this seems to have worked pretty well. To start I placed the downtube in position and set in place with some rapid set epoxy.

I also assembled the chainstays individually, so to make sure it was properly aligned with the rear wheel. (only chain-stays are gluing at this point)

Top tube and seat tube were then attached, along with the chainstay/dropout section.

And finally the seatstays were added! I have double and triple checked all the geometry before adding the carbon reinforcement. 🙂

I have used some epoxy/glass bubble filler to smooth out all the joins.

[img]http://i1331.photobucket.com/albums/w593/oliverracing/IMAG1699_zpshic3eiqt.jpg[/img] The first layer of reinforcement is now added and curing ready for the final layer next week!

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

*LIKE*

neil853
    Free Member

Well done pal, genuinely great thread.

oliverracing

slight no pictures update… just gone to check on it and it turns out a single layer carbon tube can’t survive a vacuum and has crushed flat in the middle. 😥 looks like I should be able to cut the middle/bad out and redo it, but still bloody annoying

stumpy01

^^^^ bummer. But it’s all learning! Great effort so far, very impressed.

bearnecessities

Gutted. Keep going though; your build threads should be made sticky. (No pun intended!)

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Keep I’m, keeping on.
    In genuine awe on this thread.
    Amazing.

nant
    Free Member

Looks amazing. I see creme eggs have been fuellling you for this project. Now easter is over, will need something else for energy!

RoterStern
    Free Member

Wow! Bows down in Wayne’s World way *We are not worthy! We are not worthy!* Keep up the sterling work.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Top work Oliverracing!

everyone
    Free Member

You’ve even tried to make this one look a bit better than your others! Good effort mate!

oliverracing

Sorry for the lack of updates, but been working on a few other projects, but I have finally got it built and taken it for it’s first test ride!

But firstly I had to replace the crushed tube, I tried to maintain as much of the good tube as possible, but ended up removing most of the straight section of the downtube as I wasn’t 100% happy with it.

Adding the final layers of carbon went without any major problems.

I have also added a direct mount for a front derailleur.

It’s done!* I’ve been for a quick test ride and everything performed as expected and it is suitably stiff without being overly harsh. I’m looking forward to having so time to get out and do some longer rides once I have a shorter stem. I have also booked my flight to Geneva ready to do the GR5 (or a similar alpine route) on it!

*I’m still on the hunt for a lightweight black 90mm standard clamp (25.4mm) stem as the only one I had lying around is 120mm, so if anyone has one I’d be happy to buy it off you!

bearnecessities

You know I don’t think it would be vain to get some stickers cut for your builds.

Seems such a shame; would finish them off nicely.

Well done anyhow, genuinely brilliant to see.

tomhoward

Looks the best of your 3 IMO but, please, PLEASE, fit black gear cable.

oliverracing

I’ve just realised I have doubled up a couple of the build photos, but you get the idea of how it comes together!

You know I don’t think it would be vain to get some stickers cut for your builds.

Seems such a shame; would finish them off nicely.

I’m not sure, I personally think stickers would make it look a bit like the chinese frames and not actually add anything. I do intend on putting small (70mm long) name stickers as I have done with my other builds.

fit black gear cable.

Green was the only stuff I had lying around and tbh I quite like it, so I wont change it any time soon!

treeman
    Free Member

Loving the look of that, I’ve got an 80mm stem, although it’s not lightweight and it’s silver, but you can have it for postage if you want?

I think you need both the hose and cable green or both black, not one of each!!

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Carbon Frame Build No.3’ is closed to new replies.