Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • carbon assembly paste… on a handlebar??
  • daftvader
    Free Member

Afternoon…
    Had my carbon bars selivered today and want to get them on my bike… so should I be using carbon paste where stuff goes, or not?

cheers

legend
    Free Member

just on the stem clamp for me

rickon
    Free Member

Up to you. It will increase friction, so reduce how much torque you need to put into the clamps to stop any twisting if them.

I just use a torque wrench, and set it to 1nm less than the bars recommended amount.

Ignore the torque ratings on stems, and clamps if they are higher than the bar’s rating, always defer to the lowest torque.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Rickon – what is your reasoning for that ?

The using the handle bars torque rating that is…..

Clamping force on the bar is entirely dependant on design. So how the bar designer can give a torque that preempts the stem design to provide a clamping force on his bar .

daftvader
    Free Member

Well I used a bit on the stem clamp and torqued it to the right amount specified on the bar. No kittens died or childrens faces hurt !)

RustyMac

I’m with trail_rat on this one. bars don’t have a torque rating and I can’t say I have ever seen a maximum clamping force on any either.

The inerrant design of the bars should be capable of withstanding the clamping forces applied by a stem.

Back to the Op’s question I would use carbon paste on the stem area to help prevent against rotation of the bars.

[edit]see what happens when you have kids and you run off to see why they are crying, the op goes and does the sensible thing and makes you look a fool [/edit]

rickon
    Free Member

Bars have a Max clamping torque, if you exceed that you’re likely to cause it to fail.

Torque is highly subjective anyway, the same torque applied to a grease bolt will differ to that applied to a dry bolt – in relation to how much friction is achieved against the bar, to stop rotation.

I’ve seen some stems rated at 6nm, and some bars at 4nm. I wouldn’t put 6nm through a 4nm zone.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Your not understanding

A bar has no bolts , as such it can have no torque rating. There is no such thing as a clamping torque. ( unless the bars were designed only to work with only one stem clamp design)

Also you have just answered why bike torque ratings are abag of shite anyway.

RustyMac

I give up. The op is sorted, it’s Friday I’m off for a beer.

Rickon the point is over there somewhere.

rickon
    Free Member

OK. Fine. My last two carbon bars have been given a torque rating for both the stem clamp and the controls.

rickon
    Free Member

http://mtzoom.com/handlebars/ultimate-carbon-flat-bar/

Torque ratings stated on here.

I give up too.

mssansserif
    Free Member

The torque ratings don’t mean anything in relation to the actual clamping force the bars experience. 6nm torque on a bolt who’s load is spread over a large area is less force on the bars than 6nm of torque spread over a smaller area.

That’s trailrats point.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

slap some all over the place 🙂 I use it instead of toothpaste these days.

poah
    Free Member

when I put my carbon havens on I smeared the paste over the clamp area of the Haven stem and torqued it up to 3.5 rather than 5. bar is held in place with no risk of damage.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘carbon assembly paste… on a handlebar??’ is closed to new replies.