Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Carbon, as suitable for mtb stuff as cream cheese…..
  • robsoctane
    Free Member

cardo – Member
    Have a look to what happened to my mates carbon bars, this was last week in the Peaks and no cable rub whatsoever!

Bloody Hell! WTF! What a fail! – hope he didn’t hurt himself? I also hope he wasn’t too far from the car/home? 😯

Feel for him, I really do…

cardo

He was lucky really and came off lightly after a quick tumble followed by the bike doing a few cartwheels… but scary all the same !!!! it’s failed right next to the shifter too! 😯

pinches
    Free Member

lets be honest though, they are Sunlines and they did recall them all last year….

druidh
    Free Member

cardo – Member
    it’s failed right next to the shifter too!

Do you think that’s coincidence?

Northwind

cardo – Member

it’s failed right next to the shifter too!

Coincidence or cause?

Looks like the oversized version? Sunline issued a total recall for those on safety grounds.

DickBarton

A naked flame would have those bars back together!!! That is my carbon version of the t-cut will polish out joke.

Northwind

I wouldn’t use carbon for a joke like that, not really up to such constant reuse.

cookeaa

I think what makes your indignation so amusing OP is that you’ll spunk £100 on a set of posh bars but not the extra £5 for either some rub patches or a longer cable outer, can’t be arsed to inspect the mechanical state of your bike over winter but its Eastons fault you’ve bolloxed you bars…. And we should empathise apparently, but don’t, and hence we’re being “defensive”?

God bless you, but you are a bit of a plum though…

hilton83
    Free Member

Above picture of sunline bars surprises me, i’ve never seen carbon anything snap like that, it looks like a clean break whereas you normally see it just go kind of soggy but still attatched if you know what i mean,, the resin breaks but the fibres still run through

BearBack
    Free Member

He was lucky really and came off lightly after a quick tumble followed by the bike doing a few cartwheels… but scary all the same !!!! it’s failed right next to the shifter too!

Not really a great suprise then.

overtightened shifter, scored bar and a cartwheeling bike…

I take a file to the inner faces of anything clamping on my bars to chamfer the edge (shifter, brake lever, stem, reote post clamp, everything). run your finger inside your xt shifter clamps.. those things are sharp.. like a knife through cream cheese… oh, right 😕

BearBack
    Free Member

He was lucky really and came off lightly after a quick tumble followed by the bike doing a few cartwheels… but scary all the same !!!! it’s failed right next to the shifter too!

I take a file to the inner faces of anything clamping on my bars to chamfer the edge (shifter, brake lever, stem, reote post clamp, everything). run your finger inside your xt shifter clamps.. those things are sharp.. like a knife through cream cheese… oh, right 😕

BearBack
    Free Member

BearBack
    Free Member

BearBack
    Free Member

Glad he was ok though. Could’ve been pretty nasty!

Mugboo

One wet and gritty day at Gisburn caused some fairly deep gouges to the underside of the linkages on a new Wolf Ridge frame.
    Cables were set up by the shop and I can’t see where else they could go?

I do helitape my frames but I never considered the linkages ..

I am now sueing Lancashire Council 😉

TooTall
    Free Member

my point being I could believe it taking a day to rub through carbon as mine did.

I think comparing the underside of your bottom bracket with handlebars is a bit apples and oranges on that front.

As for picture showing failed bars in recalled bar failure fail 😀

jambalaya
    Free Member

I have about 10 experience of using carbon in racing yachts, not a direct comparison but I’ve formed my own views from experience of what works and what doesn’t and has broken (expensively).

Why would you use a product which was so sensitive to maintainence and setup ( unless you were a top end racer where weight was vital and durability less important) perhaps the OP didn’t put helitape in the correct place but if the result is a rapid wear in my book that means its the wrong material.

Secondly (re broken bars above) not all carbon is equal there are big differences in strength, resins, manufacturing quality (often laid up by hand so huge potential variance) IME far greater variance than with other materials like Aluminium.

@nimo – your bars certainly could be repaired, whether it’s cost effective to do so I don’t know.

nimo
    Free Member

jambalya, you have much more articulatley expressed my viewpoint. I have lots of experience of carbon components in windsurfing and have a fair understanding of its general properties. abrasive contact is bad , impact is bad. I will not be buying anymore carbon for my bike.
    I will not be repairing the bars as the wall thickness at the point of damage is unknown( it will be different to that at the end of the bars )the photo in this thread is enough to put me off that scenario…..
    anyway thanks for all the advice , I now know the error of my ways ….

Lifer
    Free Member

No photo yet?

Houns

Re cardos pic…. Never mind the bars, what happened to the rest of the bike?

Entonox
    Free Member

^^That’s exactly what I was thinking Houns.

druidh
    Free Member

jambalaya – I’ve seen aluminium frames cut right through with cable rub and I’ve had an aluminium seatpost shatter under me. Best avoid that material too then eh?

cardo

Houns – Member
    Re cardos pic…. Never mind the bars, what happened to the rest of the bike?

The rest of the bike and rider got away with just minor scratches , nothing bent or broken… staggering really considering…. Just reading through some of the responses yes those bars were re-called by the manufacturer as they had a tiny fraction break so offered everyone who had bought them their money back… why this guy didn’t is unknown TBH.

We fixed them with a stick and a piece of threaded rod (emergency pedal replacement) and duct tape.. he managed to get back to the pub and get a round in.. we also suggested he buy a lottery ticket!

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Carbon, as suitable for mtb stuff as cream cheese…..’ is closed to new replies.