Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 114 total)
  • Carbon 456 – Any reason not to?
  • shaley
    Free Member

I was wondering if anyone had any reason not to buy a On one carbon 456?

How well do they cope with a bit of abuse? (I am quite a big guy, and don’t want a frame to break on me)

What frame size should I be getting? I am 6 foot 2 inches.

Dino
    Free Member

18″
    like mine

shaley
    Free Member

Ok thanks.

What type of stuff do you ride on it?

Dino
    Free Member

allsorts, climbs well and picks up speed downhill soo fast as its quite light, can’t complain for the money really, bought it as a winter bike instead of using my tracer, and so far it copes pretty well with whatever ive thrown at it, going to try a 36mm fork on it soon, but very happy at the moment.

wwaswas

I did a review of my 456 here;

http://brightonmtb.org/2011/06/16/on-one-456-carbon/

hope it’s some help. I’m 6’1″ and 12 stone and it’s a medium, btw.

matt_outandabout

Any reason not to

Have you seen the threads about shoddy finish, not-fitting tapered headsets and on-one’s somewhat deteriorated customer service…?

shaley
    Free Member

I haven’t seen any of those threads?

What problems exactly?

wwaswas

‘shoddy finish’ – the black laquer ones are bare carbon with a varnish coat.

‘tapered headset’ – only affects RS forks with a taper steerer and 16″ frames – new crown race now available.

‘customer service’ – mostly seems ok from what I’ve seen, they’re clearly busy at times and that can have an impact.

Northwind

Some people think that the way the carbon looks is a sign of bad finish. Actually, it’s just a sign that it’s carbon! On One’s factory don’t put a cosmetic top layer on the carbon like many do, so what you’re seeing is structure- it’s lighter and cheaper. Any carbon piece with a really regular “chessboard” finish, which is what a lot of people think carbon should look like, has basically been wallpapered.

That said, the laquer isn’t the toughest, could be better.

There’s no concern about nonfitting headsets. What there is, is problems with some tapered steerer forks. IIRC that’s only on the small, and only on Rockshox? But since tapered is just another stupid failure of a standard and most people use standard steerer (that’s why it’s called standard) it’s not that big an issue.

All in all, it’s a stunning frame for the money. Bit ugly, sure, but it’s tough, fast, light, handles well- all that tried and tested On One geometry finally made out of something other than gas-pipes. Course, that doesn’t mean everyone will like it, but objectively it’s really impossible to argue with.

Subjectively, I’m enjoying mine very much- built light but tough with a 120-150mm uturn revelation, 2.3 tyres, gravity dropper and wide carbon bars, it weighs in under 25lbs yet I’d ride it anywhere. (OK, when I take it to fort william it’s getting bigger wheels and tougher tyres!)

Dino
    Free Member

All i would say is buy a painted one, and ring them as the website desriptions are a bit vague.
    Some folk have ordered the naked carbon and not liked the way it looks with the carbon lay up.
    The headset issue is down to Rockshox Tapered steerer forks I believe, and spacer are available,I think the on one smoothie headset sorts this now.

shaley
    Free Member

I was going to order a 18″ matt black and fit some 1 1/8th rs.

That shouldn’t be a problem.

scoobmw
    Free Member

The head tube is pretty short, so watch out for maybe having to cut down your steerer. Arguably who cares if you don’t wanna swap the fork back out again to another bike, but if you might want to do that then plan for spacers. The head tube length (actual) is 90mm for a 16″ vs the website 105mm. Think that means the 18″ is correct at 105mm, but best get someone with one to confirm that.

Otherwise go for it (I have).
    16″ and 5’9″.

Dino
    Free Member

Forks will be fine
    matt black is an aquired taste but each to ther own
    that said i did see a nice painted black with painted grey logo in the shop the other week.
    i have a painted black and red.
    5,11″ and on an 18″ as i like a short stem with a bit more top tube length

flow
    Free Member

They are just cheap carbon frames out of a chinese catalogue with some On One stickers stuck on them, the same as the cheap carbon frames on ebay or the import sites.

Find one with similar angles and buy one of them for a fraction of the price.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Aye, ebay sellers from China are renown for their quality returns, warranty help and general ease of contact over the phone 😉

Northwind

flow – Member

They are just cheap carbon frames out of a chinese catalogue with some On One stickers stuck on them, the same as the cheap carbon frames on ebay or the import sites.

Are they really? Show us someone else selling the same frame then. I call bulls**t.

brant
    Free Member

Find one with similar angles and buy one of them for a fraction of the price.

They’re not.

shaley
    Free Member

I was a bit worried then.

I can’t find anyone complaining about issues other than the ones above.

Garry_Lager

It’s one of the ugliest hardtails I think I’ve seen. Now, no one buys a mondeo and starts complaining about the lack of style or form. It’s not the pricepoint to be looking for touches of artistry.
    That 456 front end though – it’s imbecilic. Imagine getting up at the morning for a ride and seeing that in the garage – you’d go back to bed.

Great price though.

tony24
    Free Member

flow thats rubbish there cen tested and can take a hell of a beating. you do a downhill course on a ebay carbon frame and i can pretty much guarantee you will brake it in some way or another.

i know this as i have seen an ebay frame crack in front of my eyes and that was just by riding along…

the on one frame is bloody strong not heard of any breakage yet and i have done plenty of rocky trail centre’s with mine have loads of rock strikes and its as good as the day i brought it which is around 1 year now.

flow
    Free Member

Of course they are, either that or a taiwanese catalouge.

Do you really think they are built to spec 😆

I would find you one but im on my phone and its shite.

Garry_Lager

Do you really think they are built to spec

I would find you one but im on my phone and its shite. Give it a rest flow. The frame’s £400 isn’t it? You reckon you’ll get something broadly comparable for a ‘fraction of the price’. Be a pretty big fraction.

Northwind

flow – Member

Do you really think they are built to spec

Do you have any reason to doubt it? Is it just a total coincidence that the geometry is exactly On One’s? If you’re going to call them liars you’d probably better have more than “of course they are”.

shaley
    Free Member

So you can find some cheap knock offs in ebay. Does that mean the carbon 456 is a bad bike?

Houns

Does it mean the ‘knock offs’ are a bad bike?

Dino
    Free Member

Troll troll troll troll troll

tony24
    Free Member

Imo yes the cheap carbon frames are bad dependant on which 1 you get. The seat tube insert cracked and came loose so the seat stem wobbled. Then the bb area made crackin noises and then it snapped on the rear stay. Under the weight of a 12 stone man…

flow
    Free Member

The frame is £400 to you, what do you think what cost price is? Do you seriously think a tiny company like On One could sell a built to spec frame, including r&d at that price, when massive companies with big buying power are charging 3 times that much?

Remove your heads from your anus.

Google carbon mtb frame china, or taiwan, there are wholesalers sites with pages of frames, including warranties etc.

Edit: And no I’m not trolling!

cp

none of the links above look anything like a carbon 456!

Northwind

So “it stands to reason dunnit”

And yet you’ll not find it in any catalogues, and you can’t find anyone else selling it. And it just happens, by pure coincidence, to have On One’s exact geometry? And all the carbon models just happen to use the same interchangable dropouts as the metal ones? Pull the other one.

Dino
    Free Member

Ever thought your being had buy the big companies for charging 3 times as much for something probably made in the same factory??
    400 quid is cheap
    great isn’t it 🙂

brant
    Free Member

I was leafing through all the development sketches, initial 3d, revisions and changes tonight.
    Makes an amazing story and I’ll probably put some out there at some point.

On one have been able to do it because:-

Dave has big balls
    Direct sales mean a lower retail price
    Lower retail price mean larger sales volume

flow
    Free Member

You obviously haven’t looked very hard.

On Ones geometry 😆

More like the y buy it off the same wholesalers.

Think about what I said in my last post Northwind. Do you seriously think they have the cash to do that? Especially when they sell so few.

I think not.

flow
    Free Member

On Ones geometry 😆

More like the y buy it off the same wholesalers.

Think about what I said in my last post Northwind. Do you seriously think they have the cash to do that? Especially when they sell so few.

I think not.

Garry_Lager

All those frames for a fraction of the price! Said fraction being 7/8, 10/12 etc. for taking a stab on an un-branded generic. Might last, might not.

They do look better, I’ll give you that.

yunki
    Free Member

nutella on toast and a nice strong cup of yorkshire tea for me I think…

cp

On Ones geometry

yeah, from the links above, still not seeing it I’m afraid.

Northwind

flow – Member

On Ones geometry

Ah, so you’ve looked harder and found it. Going to show us? No?

You’re going to need to add more than a smiley after “on one’s geometry”- the C456 has the same dimensions as the steel and ti 456, the carbon 26er has the same dimensions as the Inbred and Scandal. Coincidence?

Or, are you now saying that all On One frames are just ordered from the mythical catalogue (and yet weirdly nobody has ever found them in a catalogue, and nobody else sells them?).

You haven’t thought through the basics of R&D. On One weren’t first to market with a carbon bike, and that’s where the big bucks go. But now the factories know how to make a carbon bike frame due to that initial investment, and other companies can come along and reap the benefits- they don’t need to reinvent the wheel.

In much the same way, when someone designs a new steel frame, they don’t need to teach the factory how to weld.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 114 total)

The topic ‘Carbon 456 – Any reason not to?’ is closed to new replies.