Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Caravans……………**** rip off ;o(
  • ton

why is caravan accommodation so **** expensive?

found a caravan not too far from the big bike bash location.
    gonna have a week in the new forest the week after the bbb.

£600 for a week, that is 2 month mortgage for me………….anyone think it is too steep to sleep in a pikey palace?

cupra
    Free Member

If is sleeps 6-8 people then it is cheap, I guess it isn’t expensive otherwise they couldn;t charge it, market rules apply and all that.

tonyg2003

I have two views.

1. You could stay in a hotel for that money, with a roof, walls and everything.

2. Your mortgage is bloomin low 🙂

reggiegasket
    Free Member

my wife stayed at a carvan site last summer and her assessment was it was “expensive and crap”. Obviously you need to find a good site.

richc
    Free Member

At £300 a month, I would say your mortgage is extremely low

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If you think that’s expensive, go look at the price of canal boat holidays…. 😯

For £600 you can buy a half decent caravan and use ut more then once……..

grum
    Free Member

Not up for camping ton? Any accomodation is pricey during school/summer holidays – just the way it goes.

aracer
    Free Member

The one we’re staying in next week is only £320. Very cheap compared to renting a cottage – as I suspect £600 would be in the new Forest in August.

You could stay in a hotel for that money, with a roof, walls and everything.

With an entire family? Somewhere you can cook your own meals rather than spending loads on eating out?

TheBrick
    Free Member

New Forest Camp-sites are very expensive as you have found out. There is a CL at Crow Top Hill. It will be in the camping and caravan site book.

aracer
    Free Member

For £600 you can buy a half decent caravan and use ut more then once……..

With the advantage of being able to piss off lots of other drivers as you crawl up the hills at 20mph. Trouble is you can easily spend another £200+ a week on pitch charges.

joolsburger
    Free Member

If you’re looking at somewhere like Sandy Balls then yes it’s expensive but the New Forest is I’m afraid. I just did a week in Westward Ho for £350 and it was a surprisingly nice caravan. Try looking around a little maybe try caravans4let.

MrOvershoot

That’s nearly 3 months mortgage for me (so glad I bought back in the 80’s) 😀

Yes they do seem pricy but as PP said nothing like a canal boat.

School holiday time really ramps the price up.

highclimber
    Free Member

I think they are very expensive compared to a private villa in spain including flights!!

molgrips
    Free Member

as you crawl up the hills at 20mph.

Not a requirement for caravanning 🙂

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Hey Ton

When your around come out with us guys!

New Forest Mountain Bike Club

Will also be at BBB 😀

rewski
    Free Member

Yep, very expensive per week. I bought one on a lovely quite site on the coast, use it from March to Oct, most weekends and three weeks in summer, my two young boys love it, works out good value for us in the long run, but to be honest though it’s not about the money.

Xan
    Free Member

If you want I have a caravan I’m getting rid of. 2 berth but has a bit of damage on the bottom of the front pouch (it’s cracked) but still towable. Could be strengthened with a bit of fibre glass but wont be pretty. Will give you that for 500. 1992 elddis wisp, has fridge, heater, shower and wc etc. Light van that can be towed by pretty much anything. If you don’t want to keep use for a week and sell on making your money back simples!!

ton

cidersport, might hold you to a offer of a ride.

think i am gonna have to bite the bullet, Mrs t wants to go where we saw the caravan………… 🙄

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

think i am gonna have to bite the bullet, Mrs t wants to go where we saw the caravan…………

We can see who’s wearing the trousers eh ton.!

That said biting the bullet is the sensible option.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ton; are none of the chalets at Avon Tyrrell available the week after BBB? Cos if so, maybe you could camp the weekend then move to a chalet when everyone else has gone.

dmjb4
    Free Member

Caravans are silly money. Look at the depreciation, site fees and fuel costs, then divide by the days you actually use them. I suspect most owners would be better off in a B&B and not needing to empty out the toilet.

Small campervans seem a better option. Still expensive, but you can use them for biking and for having a cup of tea after you’ve been for a walk with the family at the weekend.

binners

Ton – Have you not thought about effing off to the South of France and doing the Eurocamp thang. Get a chalet and some cheap easyjet/Jet 2 flights

Guaranteed sun, good food and probably wouldn’t come in at much more than you’d be spending here

molgrips
    Free Member

I suspect most owners would be better off in a B&B

I hate staying in B&Bs, and I like staying in caravans. You can’t hang around a B&B all day or even part of the day, chillin out in the sunshine with a barbecue and cold beers etc. Plus a caravan is full of your own stuff rather than some naff old people’s junk like you get in B&Bs.

Not to mention the fact that you can cook your own food in a van, whereas in a B&B you have to find a pay for a restaurant, which is not only expensive but time consuming. B&Bs not really an alternative to caravanning, for me.

Re small campervans – useful, yes, but they are incredibly pokey compared to a caravan. And they need their own tax, insurance, maintenence and servicing etc.

MrOvershoot

binners – Member

Ton – Have you not thought about effing off to the South of France and doing the Eurocamp thang. Get a chalet and some cheap easyjet/Jet 2 flights

Guaranteed sun, good food and probably wouldn’t come in at much more than you’d be spending here
    Come on mate pay attention he wants to go to the BBB and watch WCA try to hammer a tent peg through his foot 😉

takisawa2

Statics are very pricey, can be on par with a cottage etc. The thought of using some dingy b&b is awful. We have our own bathroom, boys have their own bedroom etc. Thanks, but give me my tourer over some fleapit b&b any day. And it costs us an extra 10mpg to tow it, so not too bad.

I know we are getting into tourers now, rather than statics, but we’ve had a break on the Gower and in the Lakes so far this year and are planning another trip away. Normally we would probably have done just one of these for the same cost as the three. I paid £6k for a big 2003 model with all the kit we need.I doubt it will lose too much value in a year.

Tiger6791

Would it be rude to suggest MTFU and get a tent. 🙂

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Caravans……………**** rip off ;o(’ is closed to new replies.