• This topic has 16 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Spud.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Caravaners, awning question
  • Spud

Those of you that caravan with a family, what kind of awnings do you use for family hols? We have a small porch one but are really not sure it will be sufficient for getting bikes in etc for 2 weeks away.

Ours is a Dorema – came with the van and slides into a rail that goes round the edge…

Spud

Do they take long to put up? Presumably well worth it for a long trip?

That pic was taken after we’d put it up for the first time, with no instructions and apparently some poles missing. Made it work, but took a couple of hours – reckon I could do it in 30-45 mins next time though. Definitely worth it, but would only bother if staying for 5+ days. Didn’t take it to the Lakes for 3 days and didn’t miss it.

Nomad
    Free Member

Full length Isabella awning here. Takes 45 mins max to put up on my own whilst Mrs N connects electrics etc.
    Far better than a porch awning but lot heavier too.
    I never bother with our porch awning now.

Spud

Looked at those, but by God they’re pricey!

Nomad
    Free Member

Yes they are pricey but the carbon poles help to keep the weight down as much as possible.

Should also add that with 2 dogs, a full size awning allows for bike storage and a big space to feed and dry the hounds rather than let the caravan get messed up

xraymtb
    Free Member

I have an identical Dorema. Can have it up in 30mins singlehanded or 20mins if the wife helps. anything over one night and I put it up. can’t live without it space wise.

Trekster

Got both Dorema full sized awning and a small lightweight porch style for short stays. Just home from first 2wk holiday in the `van. Put the full awning up twice with no problems. Similar problem to the artist first time we put it up re not having a clue where all the poles went. Solved that issue with a roll of insulating tape 💡
    If weight and storage space is an issue then a lightweight one is what you need. If I was buying another(current one came with van)I would be tempted to buy lightweight.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Isabella here too. Great.

Spud

Cheers, space isn’t an issue and weight isn’t at the moment, although we can spread anymore between car and ‘van. The Isabella awnings don’t seem to discount much, if any.

totalshell

bigger the better ours has a seperate bedroom for the nippers..

takisawa2

Tent-like porch awning that goes up in 10mins tops. Bikes fit in the Galaxy overnight, in caravan if we go out in car. Its ok for coats & stuff. For 2 weeks in France we’re taking our pop-up gazebo with clip on sides, but would take a full size awning if we had one as you cant beat them. Local paper / the notice board at your local caravan compound is the place to pick up bargains. Isabella are about as good as they come.

Dont be tempted by a PDQ awning. I slung ours in the skip after a storm in Devon ripped it off the caravan. Absolute rubbish.

Tango-Man
    Free Member

We have a porch and a full size awning, anything over 3 night we take the full size one, anything less then the porch one is fine, we also have an annexe attachment which fits both awnings, with 2 kids it can be a lifesaver. I can get the full size one up in an hour

Just an excuse to post a picture

Have a look on the Bradcot Awnings website, you can buy direct and the prices and aftersales are very good

nbt

We’ve a full length one that Dad donated, think its a Salou. 30-40 minutes to put up singlehanded, but as I’ve only done it twice that’ll come down with practice. Wouldn;t bother for a weekend but for longer trips, yes. If you have kids they’re a must, especially if you use an inner tent or annexe for the kids to sleep in, I remember doing tha s a kid and it was the best part of any trip

Chris.H
    Free Member

Like tangoman I’ve got a porch and a full awning.

I’ve got a full size ventura awning. Made by isabella, but fibre glass poles, curtains not quite as nice and not as many windows, but about 60% of the price of the equivalent isabella.

Really easy to put up and following the instructions it always looks ok when finished.

The downside of a full awning is if it is wet when you leave the campsite, you do need a big area to dry them out after.

Spud

The drying is a nuisance but worth it for the space when away, we will have to put the bikes in it as the car can’t take them all. At the moment we have one that has a table and a bit of space for shoes/ coats etc.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Caravaners, awning question’ is closed to new replies.