Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Car with roof rack or van rental?
  • IvanMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

Planning rather epic road trip from South Yorkshire to Evanton. To make it a bit more entertaining not taking shortest road but passing Loch Lomond and Loch Tay on the way up north.

There would be 3 of us, 3 bikes, some kit in my rather small car – Ford Fusion.
    Already started considering options and looks like we can manage it with my own means of transport, plus good bike rack purchase.
    I have driving licence for 15 years but really started driving only less then 3 year ago.
    Someone suggested van rental – about 230 quid for the period of time we are thinking about – but I’m a bit concerned if I can cope with such a big vehicle without much of experience as a driver…

Any input welcome…

Cheers!
    I.

mikedabear
    Free Member

Vans are easy to drive, you would soon get used to it and probably enjoy the experience. Three people up front for a long journey can be a bit of a squash and the passenger two seater is generally not adjustable.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Cheers!

Anyone else?

Any other suggestions?

I.

Sundayjumper

Three people up front for a long journey can be a bit of a squash

Three people & kit in a Fusion will be a bit of a squash too 🙂

Go for a van. Vans are fun to drive.

mikedabear
    Free Member

Yeah I would still choose a van. See if you can hire a crew cab.

frankconway

Roof rack hmmm even with decent locks they provide very limited security when car unattended. Can be easy to forget much increased height clearance.
    I would go for panel van so bikes would not be visible.
    As for driving a van, as long as you’re aware of height and width there’s not much to worry about.
    If it’s breezy you may feel that the van is being blown about – it’s not and it will only take a few minutes to feel comfortable behind the wheel.
    With 3 bikes in a van i would think about insurance cover.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Looks like van then 🙂

Had a look around for crew cabs, but their prices are twice a big as on the 3 seater vans so probably not…

Thanks All!

Cheers!
    I.

lapierrelady

I’ve vanned it from Peterborough to Chamonix with 3 up front- definitely cosy! Just work out your seating formation and try to get a van with the gearstick on the dash to avoid any awkward groping…

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

Some self-resurrection as need to ask some daft, first-timer questions.

We ended up renting 9 seater, as there was no 5 seater van available for the price we were ready to pay.

Merc Vito to be precise.

The ball ache is there is 4 of us only with 5 bikes.

Now the question.

How difficult or easy it is to remove last row of seats in Vito? We can probably sneak through only with folding seats and cramming bikes with given space but want to have easier option in hand for some spanner time.

Or is it not worthy hassle?

Cheers!
    I.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Bump for the evening brigade…

Cheers!
    I.

shifter
    Free Member

I’m sure someone on here is converting a Vito bus to bike van at the moment – he’d know. Can’t remember the title sorry!

iainc

Don’t think you should be unbolting seats from a hire vehicle. Will likely get you in trouble if found out, affect insurance if in a bump etc.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Very good point mate.

Folding only then…

Cheers!
    I.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Car with roof rack or van rental?’ is closed to new replies.