Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Using an EBB to counter the effect of a payback post???
  • letmetalktomark

I use a layback post on a couple of my bikes.

Although I have never noticed any issue with using one and pedalling it must (Shirley) have an effect.

I current have a Rooster that I run geared so don’t really use the EBB to its full potential.

Could I reposition it so that it countered the “effect” of the layback post?

If so where would I set it? Its currently in the 2 o’clock position.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

it will be marginal but the best idea is to experiment.What are you trying to achieve?

wwaswas

don’t forget you’ll also be shortening the effective chainstay length and changing the front centre which will affect handling.

STATO
    Free Member

You could, its no different to moving your saddle to position yourself where you want to be over the pedals, just like adjusting stem and bars to match your preferred stretch.

Of course major factors such as seat-tube angle and the presence of suspension impact this setup as well. Lots of things to consider and tinker with. Or just leave and ride your bike instead of over thinking it all 😀

johnners
    Free Member

I have never noticed any issue with using one and pedalling

Informed by the above, I’d take the appropriate action to address the issue.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Move it and see, could give you a 1 degree difference in seat angle. Or you could experiment with BB height. But if you were running single speed you’d set it where needed for chain tension and not give it another thought

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You’re over thinking a non-issue, creating an imaginary problem where there isn’t one.

cynic-al
    Free Member

What effect are you talking about?

Do you think this will increase your power or something?

letmetalktomark

Thanks all.

Over thinking is what I’m best at 😉 solving problems that don’t exist ….. a close second 🙂

I’m sure I recall a discussion about the use of a layback post and its affect of pedalling …. I just don’t remember what the affect was.

So that’s wrapped that up nicely then.

STATO
    Free Member

I’m sure I recall a discussion about the use of a layback post and its affect of pedalling …. I just don’t remember what the affect was.

It depends entirely on what you need and to a smaller part what the frame was designed for. If your saddle is at the limit of adjustment then you need a different seatpost, the type determined by which way the saddle needs to move.

daver27
    Free Member

depends entirely on what the post is paying you back for?

dovebiker

Bigger layback generally means you can engage your quads more during the pedal cycle – if you have strong legs or want to really get some drive during seated climbing then it might make a difference. If you like to sit over the nose of the saddle and spin, then less so – your saddle position and layback is really a function of frame geometry and your anthropometry

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Using an EBB to counter the effect of a payback post???’ is closed to new replies.