Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • car> too damn close
  • crotchrocket
    Free Member

single track road, I’m climbing from Bow Brickhill upto the church. Geezer comes down the hill in a Laguna (silver, look out for it, I’m pretty sure he’s a local), anyhoo he basically sits in the middle of the road & drives at 30mph which is pretty intimidating if you are cycling. I have options: throw myself on the dirt or stick to the tarmac & maintain my position.

So I thinks to myself, I’ll keep my position & tip his wing mirror with my finger tips, it’ll make a noise & he’ll try harder to give way avoid the 2 guys behind me. Unfortunately guy is closer than I thought & the whole flat of my hand slap his wing mirror & slap it back against his car. He stops & 3 point turns nearly takes out my buddy in his hurry to get turned & comes back to have a verbal at me in the church car park.

I explained (gently and reasonably) that he was too close, too fast & nearly had me off & his excuse was that the hill is steep.
    Then my buddy got to the top & vented loudly & with not a little anglo-saxon vernacular included, that the guy should drive a little more considerately.

Anyhow, STWcollective: When you are climbing how much room would you like to be given by a car doing 30mph downhill toward you? And how would you advise a car driver that (in your opinion) they are too close?

MrSmith
    Free Member

give way to traffic coming up the hill. isn’t that in the highway code?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Witness? report to the police,

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    fontmoss
    Free Member

Police, might have a quiet word and might mean he gives the next cyclist a bit more space/consideration?

Klunk
    Free Member

on coming speeding oversized 4×4’s driven by women is the bigest hazard i face when road riding. They have no appreciation of the width of the things or the lack of space they leave you. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve been forced into the verge, hedge and ditch by them.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

Sorry TJ, Didn’t get his plate.

FWIW, i ‘think’ he might be a local land owner who has issue with riders exiting The Roller Coaster too fast. But I might be wrong – Woburn riders: keep em peeled 😉

fontmoss
    Free Member

Even without a plate then report it, if they’ve done it before or they do it again and someone else has the plate then the police know it isn’t an isolated incident.

Bunnyhop

He is indeed in the wrong.
    Which ever road user you are, the person uphill has right of way. The people in the wrong always love to shove 2 fingers at you or give out a stream of abuse.

br
    Free Member

give way to traffic coming up the hill. isn’t that in the highway code?

True, but you’ll be splatted, not them…

skiboy
    Free Member

was up there this morning but didn’t clock that car near dogshit bin or the crossroad but will watch out for him next week,

crotchrocket did you see the big post they have driven in the trail halfway down ‘double step’, it says no bikes or ‘orses beyond this point but sign is only visible going down, ????

watsthatallabout then ?

i also never see any off the rangers/ballifs anymore either ???

timmys

crotchrocket did you see the big post they have driven in the trail halfway down ‘double step’, it says no bikes or ‘orses beyond this point but sign is only visible going down, ????

Which is ‘double step’?

EDIT: Never mind, got it.

taxi25
    Free Member

He wen’t past you at 30mph and you slapped his wing mirror ? do you have a hand left. Stuff like this happens all the time, you won’t change peoples driving by provoking them like that,all you do is spoil your ride.

bigdave
    Free Member

Buy a mountain bike and ride off road, then you won’t have that problem.

aracer
    Free Member

When you are climbing how much room would you like to be given by a car doing 30mph downhill toward you?

Enough that you can’t reach out and touch their wing mirror!

iridebikes
    Free Member

this reminds me why i no longer have a road bike…

Blurboy
    Free Member

I normally ride that road every Sunday and have seen this stupid attitude expressed more than once. Had a ruck with a nob once myself whilst riding up it. Fortunately most drivers do give way to bikes going up, as they should do. I wouldn’t advocate being obstructive for the sake of it but if it’s a call then the bike has priority.

Would it be selfish to wonder if there is a case to try to get that road closed from the church down to the memorial on a Sunday morning. The Church goers could access from the top and it would avoid confrontation

cuckoo
    Free Member

Had a range rover drive straight at me the other night during my commute home. Filthy night, singletrack road, I hade to swerve off to avoid a near collision.

The person in the range rover just booted it, they were obviously in a rush and had no time to be delayed by a lowly cyclist.

crazy-legs

Had a range rover drive straight at me the other night during my commute home. Filthy night, singletrack road, I hade to swerve off to avoid a near collision.

The person in the range rover just booted it, they were obviously in a rush and had no time to be delayed by a lowly cyclist.

You need brighter lights! I’ve had cars pull over and stop for me because they thought the oncoming “vehicle” was something a lot bigger than a bike. You do get some funny looks when they realise. 😉

GlitterGary
    Free Member

You should have ridden 2 abreast and stood your ground.

Jeffus
    Free Member

It seems these days alot of car drivers just don’t give a damn, because you are on a bike, and just drive straight at you, I was clipped by a woman in a 4×4 a couple of weeks back she was turning right in about 50 metres but still decidedto overtake while another car came the other way forcing her into me.

project
    Free Member

POOR bloke has suffered enough having to drive a laguna,and just waiting for it to break down.

Just take a picture of it and post it up on the local notice baord as a dangerous driver.

munrobiker
    Free Member

crotchrocket
    Free Member

was up there this morning but didn’t clock that car near dogshit bin or the crossroad but will watch out for him next week,
    watsthatallabout then ?
    i also never see any off the rangers/ballifs anymore either ???

Double step? No idea what that is. Soz

Ref rangers, there is apparently just the one and he hangs about at the jump park. Nice enough guy, seen him twice in 2 weeks and am feeling guilty enough to buy an annual ticket (£20 1.1.12 till 1.1.13)

I can scan and email the form if you need it – email in profile.

Frankers
    Free Member

Chin the **** and be done with it…..

bobbyg81
    Free Member

I agree that the driver was a tit, but did you really have to stick your hand out to clip his mirror? If he was really doing 30 that could have turned out nasty. Whatever happened to just shouting ,’Stupid ****!’

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘car> too damn close’ is closed to new replies.